stoner rock

ragata

Hi all

Finished a weekend recording of a local stoner rock outfit this night and just ended up with a passable mix (i think!). I'd really like some comments on the guitars in particular, since they're tuned real low and there's a lot going on in the low end which isn't really my strong point.
For the guitars I used a beyer m260 and a d-112 on a Peavy XXL amp / mashall cab. The vocals are also tracked with an m260, bass is d112 and the kit is all 57's, d112 and adk sc-1's. The kick is drumagogg'd :)
For the toms and 2nd snare mic I went through the pres on mt spirit folio sx, the rest all go through my upgraded dynamix3000 pres.

It's an early (fairly quick) mix, but I'd still like to know weather or not I'm going in the right direction.

cheers

Hey man,
Sounds pretty good but I'm gonna make some small comments if I can. The first thing that really pops out at my is the snare sound. If you have drumagog, I'd say use it, cause everything is sounding just a step higher than the snare sound. Also this song calls for a tiny bit of reverb on the overheads, not sure If you've ever tried this, but I do it a lot and It makes the drums sound a bit more in the mix rather than the banging thing in the background, If you know what I'm talking about. I really don't hear that much of a problem with the guitars, since they blend very very very well with the bass, infact the bass couldn't be more perfect for this song in my opinion. Vocals sound pretty good but during that chorus part I might think about double tracking them and panning them hard left and hard right. Its good the way it is for verses. Over all the mix sounds pretty good, Just somethings sound very professional and others sound a little under that level, and If your bring those up, everything will sound consistenly proffesional.

Keep up the good work, hope I helped.

Ben

No real comments....dig the tune. I like the guitar tone, and how it sits with the bass, myself. Vocals are pretty good also. Nice.

I dont know if I'm digging those 2 guitars panned L R in some parts. Maybe have the L guitar in both with some stereo fx and play around with the R guitar. That snare needs a fixin! I can tell the kick is their but thats about it for the kick.

I think the drums need to just stick out more.

I think the guitars could use alot more balls / deph. Try layering them and just expirment with all you can think of. Everthing sounds a lil muffled so get that EQ running :D

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Ben:
I was thinking of trigging the snare as well, but I've only got the demo version of drumagog (it wont let me import my own samples) and the bundled snare samples sound like crap. So I just might go ahead and buy it just for that, seeing as it did a good job on the kick! I'll definetly try adding some subtle reverb to the OHs, good idea. I'll have a short mixing session with the band on thursday so I got time to get the mix just right.

Dogman & monkeymanx:
Cheers guys, I am quite happy with the guitars/bass myself. These guys really knew their equipment and what they wanted and that makes it all so much easier.

fldrummer:
I know what you mean about the guitars - we probably should have laid down yet another rythm track and treated the R guitar more as a lead instrument, especially in the verses of the song. I'll see what I can do with what I've got. That snare needs a drink, I'll give you that. I might try blending a trigged sample with the original track and see if that helps. I've got ALOT of snare in the OHs though, so it might prove to be a bit troublesome.

Once again - really appreciate your advice and feedback.

Back