Stone temple pilots - plush - cover

BCF1

Howdy folks
Messing around with different mic positions/speakers for my guitar cab I recorded the tracks for this song. Played some Bass and Crooned out vocals. However my vocals sucked big ass. So luck would have It I found the "original" solo'd vocal track on Youtube and used it in my project. My tempo was a little shy of the original so I fudged the vocal a bit to make it work. I think the guitars may be in need of Eq'ing in the mid range, any thought's would be appreciated.

Thanx

https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/27275150-plush-stp

Vocals: Youtube Rip "Original" Scott Weiland
Guitars: Mesa dual rec, sm57's on EV and V30 - varying mic positions, additional tracks di- TSE- Tube Screamer, Mark lll sim, Le-Cab, Acoustic- direct to interface
Bass: Rolls Red Square Di box, out to Ampeg - B115 and direct to interface, sm57 on B115
Drums: EZdrummer 2

I thought it sounded pretty decent, performance-wise. The kick is much too loud. I think the snare is where it needs to be kick is just too loud. It's very obvious.

The drums, overall, are a disappointment. But that's to be expected with EZdrummer.

There's a hollowness/boxiness/lack of clarity to the entire mix.

Last edited:
I thought it sounded pretty decent. The kick is much too loud. I think the snare is where it needs to be kick is just too loud. It's very obvious.

The drums, overall, are a disappointment. But that's to be expected with EZdrummer.

There's a hollowness/boxiness/lack of clarity to the entire mix.

Thanks !!
I appreciate the input,
I think I need to let my ears and brain reset then revisit the mix

That's a good idea, man. Many times it's so obvious to people listening but not to the one mixing b/c you just heard it so much and become used to it.
What's your monitoring setup?

Maybe put on the original as a reference track as you mix.

That's a good idea, man. Many times it's so obvious to people listening but not to the one mixing b/c you just heard it so much and become used to it.
What's your monitoring setup?

Maybe put on the original as a reference track as you mix.

So true, but even knowing I need a break, I tweaked the mix anyway......same link.............................hopefully it's an improvement

revisit tomorrow

Thanks

My monitoring set up unfortunately leaves much to be desired. I am using Bose 301's which are Home Entertainment System speakers I believe. I also have some decent old headphones, AKG K240's and Fostex T20 RP's but I didn't use either set............................

Last edited:
The different instruments aren't in time with each other. The guitars really get "woofy" during the chorus. Play around with a multi-band compressor. You can bandage up those palm mute woofs. Maybe take some time and line everything up to the grid, too. The drums sound good. You can make EZDrummer2 sound decent if you try :) You've controlled the cymbals nicely. Your vocals are amazing!

Thanks for the critique and positives. I think it's almost "there" now.

Around 0:53, for example, the ride is playing while it certainly would be impossible to hit it while hitting the snares and cymbals. I'd go through the drums and make sure you only have two "hands" playing at once.

Guitar tone is really good, though it's clear the vocal is pasted onto the track as it sounds in a different space. The timing issues are bugging me though. Overall, it's better than I thought it'd be based on a cover of a song I know really well and played out live for years. Right from the start, the tone and room sound rang home for me. Nice work

Around 0:53, for example, the ride is playing while it certainly would be impossible to hit it while hitting the snares and cymbals. I'd go through the drums and make sure you only have two "hands" playing at once.

Guitar tone is really good, though it's clear the vocal is pasted onto the track as it sounds in a different space. The timing issues are bugging me though. Overall, it's better than I thought it'd be based on a cover of a song I know really well and played out live for years. Right from the start, the tone and room sound rang home for me. Nice work

@andrushkiwt you have very impressive ears !!
I've got a few hours in this and I spent more time on the drum then tracking(which is likely why not all instruments aren't perfectly in time and aligned)
but you were dead on about the drummer having a third arm in the location you pointed out, plus I found one other spot.
As for the alignment, I must have subconsciously decided it was close enough and I nor anybody else would/could hear it.
Now after you pointing it out(a few times) I really hear it and it's bothering me too.

I already took care of the three armed drummer and I'm going to correct the alignments or re-track appropriately to get this sucker right.

Thank you for the accurate and detailed critique, much appreciated !!!!

(I too played this one live quite a bit back in the last half of the 90's til early/mid 2000's, Cool song)

Somehow one guitar track had been moved forward by a half beat and was the stand out alignment/timing issue a few of you mentioned.

It sounds much better then previous on my system, but I don't have actual monitors at the moment, I am using Bose 301's which are Home Entertainment System speakers I believe. I also have some older headphones, AKG K240's and Fostex T20 RP's. Hopefully it'll sound decent on other systems

New mix: https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/27275150-plush-stp

Thanks for the help

Oh yeah, that's better. What reverb style did you use here? It sounds great for this. Timing issues are just about gone too. You did a great job recreating the original, dude.

Your toms do sound huge, but they are pretty muddy as soon as that reverb tail comes whooshing in. The top end of the guitars (with all those kinda squeaky scrapes) sounds awesome. Especially when they start to ring with the verb. That's very true to the original as well. The vocal still isn't convincingly placed here, and I think it's a matter of this track being brighter overall than the original.

The final 2 "to find it"'s are off time.

Oh yeah, that's better. What reverb style did you use here? It sounds great for this. Timing issues are just about gone too. You did a great job recreating the original, dude.

Your toms do sound huge, but they are pretty muddy as soon as that reverb tail comes whooshing in. The top end of the guitars (with all those kinda squeaky scrapes) sounds awesome. Especially when they start to ring with the verb. That's very true to the original as well. The vocal still isn't convincingly placed here, and I think it's a matter of this track being brighter overall than the original.

The final 2 "to find it"'s are off time.

the reverb is ePicVerb(VOS) with a Room verb and there's a light bit of Chorus(Kjaerhus Classic Chorus)

I tweaked the drums a smidgen to eliminate boominess, tried to get the vox to sit better, realigned last 2 "to find it"'s and tightened up the timing a little more

Thanks for all the feedback !

Back