Stone Krazy-Remix

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
I posted an earlier version of this song quite a while back but wanted to re-do a few parts on it. This song is my first try at a country tune-I re-recorded the vocal tracks and banjo part-hopefully for the better. I wish I had Jay Williams big, deep voice for this but I did what I could with what I got..:o
Listen and critique-let me know what you think.....and although its country its pretty fast and over quick! ;)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6372208

i like the mix....

the snare seems slightly loud or possibly just a little thin. possibly attenuate a high shelf.

i think i would want the slide guitar and the banjo panned harder to really separate everything. and the bgv could be panned somewhere else too. personally i would like them louder, and possibly panning would help them from burying the lead vocal.

I agree that the snare is a bit loud compared to the bass and banjo. Maybe quiet that a bit, and see what happens...banjo may still need to come up to be even with the bass.

Fun tune man...:D

i like the mix....

the snare seems slightly loud or possibly just a little thin. possibly attenuate a high shelf.

i think i would want the slide guitar and the banjo panned harder to really separate everything. and the bgv could be panned somewhere else too. personally i would like them louder, and possibly panning would help them from burying the lead vocal.

Thanks a bunch for checking this song out, the drum part is a DR 670 machine, I'll figure out something to lower the snare.
I wasn't sure on some of the panning, I started with them panned narrow, time for some more experimenting.

I agree that the snare is a bit loud compared to the bass and banjo. Maybe quiet that a bit, and see what happens...banjo may still need to come up to be even with the bass.

Fun tune man...:D

Thanks for the advice and listening Dog, I guess the drum machines exaggerate the snare sound instead of a steady balance. I'm trying for some panned interaction between the dobro and the banjo in the mix, an earlier mix had a 12 string rhythm that I noticed some phase issues with so I dropped it from the mix.
Banjos are so bright and cutting its tough to mix, guess I need to do an on-line search-maybe I should use a dynamic rather than condenser maybe?:confused:

Anfontan--

I like this tune! I like the tune itself and the recording. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I think the snare works for this genre. To me it wasn't thin or brittle, but rather had that slap that you might hear in any number of Grand Ole Opry style tunes.

And I know this is vague, but I thought it was "put together well." By that I mean if felt like I was sitting in the room as a bunch of musicians do their thing. That's rare in home recording--they often feel like different tracks that don't quite "stick" together.

Nice job!

Yep - this would get a lot of yee-ha's out of the crowd! I agree maybe some more banjo, but I also think the snare suits the genre. That dobro lead is sweet - I like the way it wraps itself around the lyrics.... Good stuff Anfontan...:cool:

Anfontan--

I like this tune! I like the tune itself and the recording. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I think the snare works for this genre. To me it wasn't thin or brittle, but rather had that slap that you might hear in any number of Grand Ole Opry style tunes.

And I know this is vague, but I thought it was "put together well." By that I mean if felt like I was sitting in the room as a bunch of musicians do their thing. That's rare in home recording--they often feel like different tracks that don't quite "stick" together.

Nice job!

Thanks for the listen & compliment, I had lines for this song stuck in my head for years and finally decided to make a song out of it. I was thinking of a cajun drum style to drive the song and tried to find a drum pattern that fit that.
Thats great that you think it all gels together well-I suppose it would be a room full of clones of me playing it all-although I've played in a bluegrass/folk band for quite a while and hopefully that helped me mix it as it turned out.

Yep - this would get a lot of yee-ha's out of the crowd! I agree maybe some more banjo, but I also think the snare suits the genre. That dobro lead is sweet - I like the way it wraps itself around the lyrics.... Good stuff Anfontan...:cool:

Thanks a lot Ido, this is a learning experience for this style of song for me. I'm really rough on the banjo and I don't like using fingerpicks at all, but this song really needed the picks for the right sound and volume.
The dobro is a Regal with an extended nut and a steel guitar style slide bar rather than a slide worn on the little finger. This gives you a cleaner sound and better volume and I worked around the chord triads and kept it simple.

Back