Stereolight, Robin Song

lotuscent

Hey y'all - here are two tunes I just finished(?) and I want to get some feedback, particularly on the mixing and "mastering."

I am pretty conscious of eq and balance during the mix, so there is no final eq across the stereo bus, just a bit of compression and limiting - I tried to preserve some dynamics.

All tracks are done by me except the acid drums.

Actually, any feedback at all is cool.

peace.

http://mattyaki.com/tunes.cfm

Stereolight, Robin Song

Stereolight is very smooth

Very smooth. Recording is pristine. Mix is even and not over produced.

Great vocals. Guitar solo is very tasteful and adds to the ambience of the song.

I guess if I was looking for something to complain about it would be the length of the recording. That's prolly just cuz I'm a guitar player and seldom *get* a piano solo though.

Thanks for sharing!!! Hope this tune brings some fortune your way.

Webpage Design

Dark text on a dark background is frusterating.

Many of us who are computer professionals, music or otherwise, turn the contrast and brightness of our monitors down slightly to help with eye strain.

A page like yours is nearly illegible.

When I see a page like this, I instantly hit Ctrl-F and just type in the text I am searching for.

Study up on font color in relation to background, there is a 'mix' concept in webpage colors, just like in music mixes.

I'm going to download and listen, I'll post.

namaste,
Pat Jack

Stereo Light

Excellent all the way around.Kinda reminds me of the Chris Rea tune " On The Beach".....the style reminds me a little bit of Michael franks.....love the vocals and the jazzy octave stuff on the guitar......back up vocals are great....is that a jazz keyboard patch?What is it man?I need to know.LOL. I love it.

I would buy it.

Just listened to Robin Song.Another excellent tune.You have this smooth groove ting down man.Lead and backup vocals are top notch.You HAVE to be a Steely Dan fan because this could easily be one of their own tunes.Great Stuff man.

great grooves my friend. Goes good w/ brandy.
I'm listening on computer speakers so I don't know if I should comment but anywayz, here goes.
love the space of the mix, sounds, guitar leads, all sweet to my ears. the only thing I noticed was excess sibilance on the vocals, maybe due to the reverb used, I'm not sure. (referring to stereolight on this comment)
anyway, enjoyed them greatly, thanx.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Kramer, what are you referring to when you say "jazz keyboard patch?"

Yeah, I'm a big Steely Fan, but I have to refrain from listening to them while I am involved in a project. Then I geat REALLY picky.

I think I may have thrown a touch too much high end boost in the vocals, which could explain the excess sibilance.

Anybody have any idea what it could need in terms of a mastering polish? I don't have much experience and I want to give it a try. Other ears would be very helpful on this one.

peace.

Robinsong

First Listening : (typing while I listen)

WOW

cool

clean

great resonator playing, awesome

very nice vocal, but the instruments are TOO damn loud.

Bring eveything down AT LEAST 3db

If I have to WORK to understand the words that sucks.

Ohhhhh, nice chorus !

Beautiful stuff.

The harmony vocals are GOLDEN, MUCH more important than any of the instruments, they STAND ALONE, consult your meters.

Mid range bass is a little too much, bring it down 4db.

I want more deep low end.

Now, the hooks going into the chorus are nice bass work.

Very tasteful leslie type organ, just a touch, is tasteful.

The vocals are the STAR HERE, let them shine, make a seperate instumental mix without the vocal to enjoy, and then mix this fine vocal properly.

Wow, this is an very well performed guitar solo. Wow. groovy man.

I like your use of the opening single percussion instrument hook into the song, it's appropriate

Others need feedback more than you do ;-) , but I'm listening a second time.

I'm gonna jam with this on the violin, not enough room in there to add the instrument, but it will be fun to play along, thanks for the beauty.

Nice groove, maybe a little too much effect on the vocal for my liking but still has a cool Santana flavour to it, I like it. Nice Sunday morning song....too bad it's freakin Monday :)

studioviols- I truly appreciate the critical listening. Regarding your comments on the bass, are you referring to the bass track itself or the overall eq of the mix?

Also, have you checked out Robin Song? I'd really be interested to hear what you have to say about that.

peace.

Bass Track

I'm having another listen, gosh the beginning is so cute and sweet.

The conga ... is a little loud in the beginning, take it down maybe 4-6db, make us wonder what's coming, don't feed us a big bite at first, the conga might be a little nibble, like an appertif.

The conga has plenty of stage later ...

I think the bass is a little loud in the beginning, I don't want to have to struggle the least bit, not for a split second to understand any of the lyrics especially the first few words ... and I'm a little familiar with them now. I should be able to wash dishes and understand the words ... try it.

So you might THINK its appropriate to bring the vocal up in the beginning, but I think it would be better to bring the instruments down and let the vocal flower out, because then you get the effect of dynamics as the song continues.

Because you begin to sing louder, and the instruments can then come up 1/2 of the amount the vocal increases in volume. The lead vocal needs to ride so far out in front of everything else, the others start to 'complain' that they can't hear their parts, (your other musical personalities or any real players here :)) , that's a good sign you are getting a good mix for a sweet vocals tune like this.

At the lyric 'verses die' the mix is good for the vocal, and you have begun to sing louder here.

You must remember though that it is obvious to everyone that your lead vocal and these backup vocals are the gold in this song, don't cover them for a spit-second and let them be the stars.

Use less effects on your vocal, use the water method I have described to keep yourself nice and moist in a session.

You have the best 'clean vocal' I have hear on the board thus far. Very good intonation.

Take the bass down about 3db in any questionable places, maybe more.

OMG ! you said Steely Dan !!! I heard it ! :D

Who are these 'Moody Blues' ??? hah ... just kidding

I must have meant the bass track itself. Because I'm noticing the bass being a little to prominent overall, IMHO you could take some of the lower mids out of the bass and add low-end to the bass track where the actual notes are not low. I'm listening on SONY MDR-7506 headphones through a Soundblaster Live in Windows Media Player 9.0 with the EQ flat.

After the hook at 1:32 just sweep those background harmonies in LOUD and the primary vocal LOUD here. This is gold. Sweep us ... Knock us off our feet here.

I don't think you COULD overmix these vocals, they are the GOLD here.

At 2:00 where you sing 'light' , get something more on this and roll some tap delay off that word, it's one of the highlights in the song, it's definitely a defining moment for the primary hook. That final 'T' could last forever.

God these vocals are divine, get yee into a high quality studio and record this sucker. I really thing you should totally blast us with that first round of harmony vocals, knock us off our feet.

Use a fast curve fade in for the guitar solo, but the initial volume should not be as high as it can get, after the first little run, bring it up a bit, and then again after the second little run ... now bring it all the way up ... so maybe initially we wonder if we are going to really get a solo, then satisfy us by bringing the guitar solo up, and up, and up ... at the most aggressive point, give us all you have on that guitar solo this is an opportunity to really make something of the instrumental dynamics ... as the guitar solo gets more aggresive bring it up, cresendo into it and then do a slow curve fade out of the guitar solo, leave us wondering what comes next and then smash us with those gorgeous backups, like throwing a big pillow at us ...

The guitar fill at 3:30 is tempting to bring up out of the mix, because it is so damn good, a very nice fill, but the guitar has already had it's turn, we will be very happy with this about 3db lower with a touch of tap delay on it, melt that fill into those vocals if you can ...

At 3:40, 'but how could it be wise', I hear room for a strong viola or cello fill ... legato warm ascending melodic fill here, scalar in 1/8th notes, then settling gracefully into a high sustained soft note, somewhat reflective, a questioning ... this sets you up to bring in some orchestral string support at that point as the high sustained note of the fill fades.

Mix any orchestral string support at the barely audible level, we don't have to know exactly what it is, it's just some warmth, some body ... cello section at least.

You might make some real contrast in the hooks by continuing the orchestral support for the next hook, and running the violins softly up to meet the word 'light' beginning a scale around 3:50 and moving in 8th notes up to meet the word 'light', and then a little violin section full mordent as the word 'light' fades.

With a bass line as strong as this, a good way to 'eject' the string support is to start to match the cellos and viola with the bass line ... and then fade the strings out on a strong bass note.

The conga at 4:33 is a little awkward, take it way, way down, I think you might just be giving us a break here, dancers will appreciate that moment to make goo-goo eyes at each other or something like that ... i dunno :)

I think the conga nees to be a little more relaxed and gentle, run the conga track through the soundforge smooth-enhance filter, smooth it by one degree and drop it 2db maybe.

Again this conga at 5:30 just strikes me as being awkward, out of character for the piece, it is certainly louder than the key solo that comes in next and that conga should just be a tiny thought in the distance ... an idee fixee

Maybe the conga needs to be sharper, more staccatto on the last two notes, don't let it ring as much on the last two notes ... i dunno ...

I could jam with violin in the beginning and over this riff in general very warm ... inviting.

Ohhh, I have to go, Jean Luc Ponty is on line one .... :)

dude...!

OK, back to the mixing board...

Thanks, pm me your address, I will send you a pressing when this project is done.

peace.

very nice cmombinations of voice and instruments. track levels get askew occasionaly through the tune. Guitar gets a little too dynamic robbing the vocals. Verb is not transparent enough for me, a little "Hey there`s the reverb". It tends to put the vocals behind the music instead of presenting them. Absolutely nice writing and performing.

Robin Song

Frog sticks... Nice. Aw. Clean, inviting. Good slide gtr. Great slide gtr. Nice. A.H. harmonics. The vocs are sibilant... (it's the mic :D)

You threw him an elbow? Heh... This sounds like someone mixed crawdad, Jamal Buchet, and Jim Soloway genes in a petry dish... and some really gawdawful sick-n-wrong sin against nature took place :D after which we get your cool, cool song :)

Very smorasboard flavorful palette here. This deserves all the stars we can throw at it. Love, love, love those jazzy progressions... jamal like vox... crawdad-like slide, and lyrics... a few mix adjustments needed... second listen coming up.

Gee-sus! You're a virtuoso on dem guit solos. You and JMarcomb should cut heads.... and charge each of us $50 to sit at your feet gapemouthed! :D

Listen #2:

Nice reverb. Balances sound pretty good. The jazz-organ patch needs a better fit... a better blend... more panning and a touch more verb (imo) Vox should be recut ( :( ) only because of the sibilance. The performance is very good. Good bass playing . Great performance. Vox are Jamal Buchet crossed w/Steve Miller.

Stereolight

More shuffle... awesome :) Better mix and recording, here. These are keepers. You mind if I burn some ....

... to CD? :D

Female backups... or falsetto? :D Nice. Excellent, subtle slow trem-FX on clean gtr. Great understanding of arrangement. AWESOME friggin changes.

This is like a male Sade... top notch stuff. Really excellent. I will spin these a zillion times. Jeff Marcomb, check out this cat.

*****+

Chad

Great job, mix-wise. No complaints other than the aforementioned sibilance here and there. But it's hardly enough to gripe about.

Goddamn, those drums are Acid? I was thinking "man, it's amazing what real drums can do to a song" - then I read your original post. Fuck me, I gotta give Acid another chance.

Nice job.

Chris

Toki987 - which tune are you talking about? Can you explain what you mean by "track levels get askew?" This is all such good feedback I want to make sure I understand...

Do you mean I should put the keys further off to the side?

peace.

Hey Groucho - those drums are actually acid loops I imported into DP3. With a bit of tweaking, they can sound somewhat "real," though I'm going for more of a "slave to the groove" kinda thing, which makes the loops a bit more usable.

I have tried more rock type stuff, but man it's hard to pull off. Not much success there I have to say... of course maybe it's because I suck at rock.

peace.

lotuscent said:
Toki987 - which tune are you talking about? Can you explain what you mean by "track levels get askew?" This is all such good feedback I want to make sure I understand...

Do you mean I should put the keys further off to the side?

peace.

ROBIN SONG
For me, some of the individual track volume levels need a bit addressing in order to get the vocal as a focal point. Nothing really radical. At places in the tune some instruments are dominant over the vocal melody, at other times there is some competition between the vocal melody and other instrumentation levels, happening predominantly between the guitar and keys. I`ll point to them specifically for you after I get home in the morning.

Ok I`m back. :)
On my computer desktop speakers this dont sound bad, in fact its good. but, I think you could bring some things out that really need to be heard a little better. And a few things are in there that aren`t heard well in some cases.
I`m listening on some speakers that are fairly good at lower frequencies and they reflect some stuff thats in there that might not show up on a smaller set of speakers.
The guitar doing the fills gets a bit strong in the verses when on the wound strings due to the eq letting it boom and the big reverb taking it from there. The low keys on the rhodes combines with this and adding in the bass there is a wash in the low frequency range. The vocal, because its sang kinda soft all the way thru doesnt have a lot of strong dynamics and the fill guitar overides it in spots, even the stabs on the rhodes dynamically overpower the vocals. Just to see what it would do to clean up the low end.
I took a parametric eq and used a low freq shelf at 80 hz, -3 db, .5 octave width.
It took a bunch of the rumble from the low keys on the rhodes piano and the low resonance from the wound strings on fill guitar out, along with some reverb ambience from the congo`s that was getting muddy, and of course, the bass was in there contributing as well. It had a subtle effect of lifting the vocals up some and making the instruments a little cleaner. I`d bring the fill guitar down a touch on the low end and overall cause its dynamic enough that it reaches out there when you voice it. The piano is ok but when it stabs, the rhodes really reaches out, so Id drop it a tad. Id bring the vocals up some more so the instruments support them instead of holding hands with them. It gets pretty noticable around 1:30 that the instruments are leaning out there around the vocals. I`d also shelve the reverb below 500 hz so you don`t have any mud on the low end of the vocals and get a huge low end ambience on the instruments.
Just my two cents on tune thats sorta awesome to me... :)

Last edited:
Toki987 - thanks. this is really helpful because it is breaking me out of my "tunnel hearing."

Will try your suggestions and see how it goes.

peace.

Back