Steenamaroo - 2nd start to finish thread

Hey folks,
I just started working on a second track. Same method as the first one.
A live iphone recording is sent to me and I build up a mix for it, then at some point vocals are re-recorded over the top.

This mix is only a fraction of the song and, to be honest, is just first impressions/ideas, but I'm pretty sure it's going somewhere.

I'll keep this thread up to date as it happens. :)

Enjoy.
With iphone vocals.
Without iphone vocals.

Last edited:
You REALLY do great work Paul
But it must be stated that you start from a fantastic base! (what a songwriter to work with!!)
Can't wait to hear your contribution! :listeningmusic:

Wow! For a far-from-finished tune, this is great. You need to work on the ending, though. :D (just kidding)

Like Jiff mentioned, song-writing trumps almost everything else. You really have something great to work with. :cool:

Wow! For a far-from-finished tune, this is great. You need to work on the ending, though. :D (just kidding)
Thanks RAMI. I did a bit of work today on harmonies. I think that made a good difference.
Gonna check in on your thread shortly but you know the drill. It's pleasure, not business.

Like Jiff mentioned, song-writing trumps almost everything else. You really have something great to work with. :cool:

Alright, alright...everybody relax. Let's not exaggerate here..... :p

You need to work on the ending, though. :D (just kidding)

I know you were kidding but, just for the record, the chorus can be pretty much ignored.
I want it to be really tight and snappy, kind like the first half of the verse, but it's just a placeholder mess at the minute. ;)

Yeah I thought this was really good. My only problems are with levels. The tone on things sound good.

There are some backing "oooooh" vocals that are too loud in spots and too soft in others.

The bass, to me, is a bit too loud.

There is a section where the snare really jumps out.

The "xylophone" is a wee bit loud.

Hey Trip,
Thanks for listening and for the tips. :)
It'll be tricky to get a handle on this until the proper vocals are done but judging on the demo, and the responses, I can't wait.

Be sure to check back later in the week.

Really nice poppage. Mixwise, the vibe/epiano sound is really getting swamped with all that midrange taken up with guitars. And the vocal's a bit low in the mix during the chorus.

Thanks dobro.
The main vocals are from an iphone recording. They're just something for me to build around, and will be re-recorded at the end.
I suspect the chorus levels and content will take a bit of work once the proper vocals go in place, as you say.

I want the thing to stay light but due to the consistent fast-paced nature of it, it might be tricky to make it say *this is the chorus*.
I may have to work at cutting the mids a little during the chorus, and I intend to layer up further harmonies.

We'll see where it goes, huh? Yer man is still writing the song. :p

Thanks for commenting.

I agree, great songwriting, the arrangement sounds really good too. I loved the part about the wedding. It rang very true, like when someone says something that you've been thinking for a while, but you thought you were the only one who thought that, and then the person also says it better than you possibly could have. To me, that is what good writing is all about! Great work there.
I do have one part of the song that stood out as bothering me. I don't know if your songwriter is DONE or is open to rewrites but I'll throw it out there anyways.
"Social network media, celebrity and fashion..." This part seemed preachy, I've heard this nearly exact sentiment before so it seemed a little cliche. After the other lyrics it just seemed like a letdown. If it were my song I'd try to find a way to express the same thing in a more oblique and original way.
This seems like it could be a really great song! I look forward to the future versions.--Jessica

Hi Jessica,
Thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts.
I totally agree. There's always been something about that line that struck me as obvious, or easy.
He is working on writing the song right now though, so who knows what will stay and what wont.

He sent me this quick demo just to see what I thought and I, erm, kinda got carried away. :p
Thanks again. :)

Hey all,
The full song is finally written so I've been building up the mix.
I'm hoping to have main vocals recorded tomorrow and then I can flesh things out a little.

Here's what I have so far.

He's stuck with the previous chorus lyrics. To be fair, it's the one bit I don't get involved in! :p

Sounding pretty good mate. It's got a Madness kind of vibe to it, musically. I could quite easily hear a Sax in there.

Liking it so far, looking forward to more :thumbs up:

Took a lot longer than I thought, but here are the vocals.
I think I've still a good bit of work ahead of me, but I like the way the vocals have worked out so far.

Here is the current link
and as always, any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: PDP
Listening to the latest mix. Sounds great man, I remember reading you say you get radio play yes ? This really sounds in a league beyond Home Recording. The composition, the production, its all extremely well done. I especially like the Pop mix you have at this point. Great job!

Listening to the latest mix. Sounds great man, I remember reading you say you get radio play yes ? This really sounds in a league beyond Home Recording. The composition, the production, its all extremely well done. I especially like the Pop mix you have at this point. Great job!

Thanks PDP. :) Appreciate the listen.
Yeah, that's right. We get a good bit of play but, unfortunately, not outside of N.I.....yet.

I think it's fair to say we're pandering to it now.. :p

Back