Starting to record album, on the right track??

IanW-UK

Hi all, I've just started to record the first track of what will be our first album. We can't afford to record anywhere that will get us pro results so we decided that we'd do it ourselves. I was nominated as producer, engineer, tea maker etc :rolleyes: So anyway, this is the first track we've started. All the tracks bar the drums are just guides (no cymbals as these were overdubbed after and I haven't put em in yet)

I was hoping some of you pros could have a listen and see whether or not I'm on the right track as far as sounds and (rough) mix goes before we start tracking proper? Any constructive critisisms of the sounds/mix would also be most welcome :)

Oh and btw this is the most "pop" we get, we wanted to get it over with first :p

Here's the track:

Cheers for your time...............

Sounds good over here... something to consider, maybe too much reverb for the genre of music... but that's not bad...

No cymbals :confused: That "ting ting ting ting" wasn't a ride cymbal after all :confused: :p ;) and I guess that wasn't a high hat either :eek: :eek: ;)

The vox could come up in relation to the other trax...

Just depends on what type of sound you're going for; imo this is almost ready as-is (95% there)... but the production does sound like the best that 1979 had to offer (what with the punky feel, and the reverb)

Don't really like the snare sound... just a matter of taste, I guess... bass could use more definintion...

I like the string squeaks on guitar.

Chad

Ha! I'm just the opposite of my good friend the participant. I dig the snare but the finger squeeks are driving me nuts. It sounds pretty damn good for work in progress. I'd like a little more toms though.

Last edited:
I am listening on cans, but I really like the guitars aound and tone...

ditto on the reverb thing, I would make the vox drier.

and yes, the squeaking has to go... :)

Thanks for the relies guys :) LOL Participant I meant no "big hit the cymbals for effect" type cymbals :p
EVERYONE has commented on the squeeks :D I have no idea how he managed to do that on an electric but I will try to get him not to or cut em out when he does his main tracks, It bugs me aswell.
Vocal reverb points noted :) thanks. I really like that snare though, It's a wooden snare and it's quite hard to get it to ring nicely, but I think it came out ok. Toms do need to come up, I hadn't noticed :o shame on me :p

Cheers again guys, yer comments are appreciated :)

Back