Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Started re-mixing in REAPER

  1. #1
    RAMI Guest

    Started re-mixing in REAPER

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey Y'all,

    I've had my head buried in all my older tunes, re-mixing them in REAPER. Still getting used to mixing with a mouse, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. At this point, I've just been mixing so much that I probably have lost perspective. For all I know, the drums ( or bass or guitars or vocals) are too loud or too low and I can't even tell right now. So any help is always greatly appreciated.

    I posted 3 tunes. I know we don't like it when someone posts more than one link, but many of you have heard most of these. So, if you recognize a title or the first few bars of one tune, you might want to skip to another that you may not have heard.

    Thanx!



    NEW WORLD DISORDER

    PIRAHNAS

    THRUYOHED

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4010573
    All of the songs sound great! I really like your drums sound. How do you record them?
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the eye of satan's butthole
    Posts
    36,068
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 557 Times in 500 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    They all sound really good. You're doing fine in the box.

    If I had to really nitpick about something....

    Thruyohead - could maybe use some louder rhythm guitars. Just a touch.

    Pirahnas - backing vox may be a little too up front.

    NWD - Sounds fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Northern Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    5,374
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 502 Times in 487 Posts
    Rep Power
    19381610
    Listened to New World Disorder. Generally an excellent sound. Loved the drum and vocal sounds. Bass is sitting just right.

    Personal taste thing - but I'd like a dryer vocal.

    A couple of clicky hits on the kick at around 1:30. No big deal. Other spots too. Kick might just be a tad too loud as well.

    Mix seems to lean slightly to the left in spots. The intro is an example.

    Another personal taste thing - I'd like the guitars just a little brighter. Could probably be accomplished with a small cut somewhere in the 300-600hz octave.

    Everything mentioned is a nit. Nice mix.

  5. #5
    RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by squibble94 View Post
    All of the songs sound great! I really like your drums sound. How do you record them?
    Thanx Squibble. I record my drums with 4 mics: 2 overheads, snare and kik. I set them up in a Recorderman/Glyn Johns hybrid. The over-the-shoulder mic at about elbow height somewhere between me and the floor tom.

    By the way, I clicked on your link and listened to "Eye of the Storm".....twice. I really dig it. I'll check out the rest of your tunes later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    They all sound really good. You're doing fine in the box.

    If I had to really nitpick about something....

    Thruyohead - could maybe use some louder rhythm guitars. Just a touch.

    Pirahnas - backing vox may be a little too up front.

    NWD - Sounds fine.
    Thanx Greg. I'll go back and listen to them and listen for what you said. I mixed them a few weeks ago and haven't heard any of them again since.

    Yeah, mixing in the box isn't that bad. It's not as if I'm moving faders all over the place when I mix. It's more a matter of getting the mix and then automating the little changes that need to be made, if any.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    Listened to New World Disorder. Generally an excellent sound. Loved the drum and vocal sounds. Bass is sitting just right.

    Personal taste thing - but I'd like a dryer vocal.

    A couple of clicky hits on the kick at around 1:30. No big deal. Other spots too. Kick might just be a tad too loud as well.

    Mix seems to lean slightly to the left in spots. The intro is an example.

    Another personal taste thing - I'd like the guitars just a little brighter. Could probably be accomplished with a small cut somewhere in the 300-600hz octave.

    Everything mentioned is a nit. Nice mix.
    Thanx a lot, MMM.

    I didn't want to fill my first post with disclaimers and explanations, but just for the record, New World Disorder was recorded about 2 1/2 years ago in a different house with a different guitar set up. I totally agree that the guitars lack highs. I've changed my set up since then. Problem is, all the EQ'ing in the world won't help them because I captured a mediocre sound to begin with. If there weren't so many parts to re-do, I'd re-track for sure. The way it is, I'm just going to claim that was the sound I was going for.

    Thanx for taking the time, guys.

    Rami

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    814289
    Mixes sound Great RAMI...nice job.

    Wish I had some insight on how you mixed the songs...Im having a tough time with getting vocals to sit in the mix properly.

    Anyway nice job.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stord
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,089
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    10205988
    Listening to New world dissorder:

    I agree with the vocals, specially in the verse could be a tad dryer.

    I'd personaly like some delay on the lead slide solo, just to make it bigger, if that makes any sense

    other than that, your stuff sounds solid and great.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stord
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,089
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    10205988
    Pirhanas.

    I'd like a bit more bass clarity, you play that thing so tight would be cool to have it higher in the soundscape.
    I'm not too keen on the flanger on the vox in the beginning, maybe some tweaking would do?

    everthing else sound great to me, loved the ending

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stord
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,089
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    10205988
    thruyohead.

    I'd like some sort dealy on the vox here, it might suit it, very subtle amount though.
    Drums sounds fantastic on this tune.

    You seem to have tackled the transition to reaper remarkably

    all tunes sounds great man

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4010573
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    Thanx Squibble. I record my drums with 4 mics: 2 overheads, snare and kik. I set them up in a Recorderman/Glyn Johns hybrid. The over-the-shoulder mic at about elbow height somewhere between me and the floor tom.

    By the way, I clicked on your link and listened to "Eye of the Storm".....twice. I really dig it. I'll check out the rest of your tunes later on.
    Oh cool, thanks. By the way, don't bother listening to those songs They were recorded about two years ago. I had almost zero knowledge of recording. I've been having trouble writing stuff, so I'll record and post them once I write a decent song
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Reaper Mixing Question
    By JerryD in forum Don't Fear The Reaper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 00:53
  2. Mixing Down in Reaper
    By Somelsewhere in forum Don't Fear The Reaper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 07:57
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 09:22
  4. just started using reaper
    By tom18222 in forum Don't Fear The Reaper
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 21:29
  5. REAPER getting started videos
    By pipelineaudio in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 22:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •