STARCHASER by The Story of the Sun. High energy rock song

TSOTS

Sorry for the last post. It wouldn’t let me insert the link. As said in prior post:
Here is a new song called Starchaser. Its a rock song as most of our stuff is. There are a decent amount of elements in this. Would love to hear some feedback on the mix. If you have any suggestions please let us know so we can continue to elevate this. All instruments have been recorded live and no virtual instruments aside from snare and kick samples low in the mix.
Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks!

STARCHASER by The Story of the Sun | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hi TSOTS, I think this mix sounds nice. I didn't hear anything in particular that stuck out too much. BTW, I also checked out your other songs on Soundcloud and really liked your song "Insomnia"...Fun vibes and the telephone effect on the vocals towards the middle of the song sounded very cool!

Hey thanks for listening!
We are going to probably remix insomnia but really glad you liked it. You think it needs to be remixed?

I think it sounds great as it is but I would love to hear the remix as well!

Overall it sounds nice. The guitars sound a little thin and anemic to me. Sounds as though maybe they've been hi-passed a little too high?

There's a very odd, very subtle timing issue happening sometimes. In the first chorus, for example, the vocal comes in a tad late on the first phrase, which reduces the impact of it, IMHO. It's strange, though, because it doesn't sound as though the vocalist was just late on that first word. It almost sounds as though the whole "Star Chaser" phrase was accidentally nudged back or something. Like I said ... it's very odd.

There are also some strange drum timing issues that are similarly odd. Like I said ... it's subtle, but it's noticeable (to me, anyway).

Songwriting-wise, the "I'm beginning to think" line is a little too close to Matthew Sweet's "Sick of Myself" for my taste. It's not identical, but the melody is close, and the rhythm and lyric are exactly the same. I think I would have scrapped that line, but that's just me. :)

Hey thanks for listening and this great feedback. We are making some adjustments to the timing. Also do you think the guitars are high passed too much or that they’re missing some brightness? They are only highpassed to about 90hz. Interesting reference with Matthew sweet. My other counterpart (the song writer) never heard this song however I remember it lol. One hit wonder. I can see a similarity I guess but a sure you it wasn’t purposful. Also where are the drum issues you are talking about so we can fix those?

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

This sounds great. I really enjoy the song: I've got it on repeat while I'm playing blitz chess.

If I had one suggestion, it would be that the lead vocal sounds a wee bit strained in the chorus: the word "Starchaser" sounds like it's pushing the limits of your upper range just a smidge.

But the more I listen to the song, the less I mind that.

If it were me, I would also add additional backing vocals to the repeating part of the chorus: the "she don't love me" part. It sounds good, but I think it would sound better with more voices sort of shout-singing that refrain.

Well done!

Overall it sounds nice. The guitars sound a little thin and anemic to me. Sounds as though maybe they've been hi-passed a little too high?

I think it's not just the guitars, the whole mix is hyped in the highs, which ends up sounding brittle. It's probably not a HPF causing the issue.

The other thing that's sticking out is that the vocals sound a little affected on the "me-ah" of "she don't love me". It almost sounds like pitch correction snapping between two notes at times.

It's a good song, and I can see the potential in the mix, but it definitely has some burrs to file off.

Hey!
Thanks fir listening and the feedback. We made some adjustments using some of your critiques. Was wondering if it sounds any better. I think we may need to raise the lows. What do you think?

Without being able to A/B, it sounds a little better. There's more bass and low mids without being muddy. There's still brittleness on the high end, especially the vox and cymbals.

Back