SRV acoustic NOT!!! string noise? tone?

wfaraoni

ear art's not a science
I decided that since I've been working on guitar tone lately that I could try one of my favorite pieces by Stevie Ray Vaughan done unplugged.
I did a quick recording of the song to see what Ive accomplished and when I listened to it its got all kinds of loud noise , string buzz and pick noise. I guess I just block it out when Im playing it but it seems amplified to me.
Since this is a difficult song, its not like I can change my playing habits much. The question is is the tone ok and is the noise acceptable for an unplugged version, if not, how do I minimize it? Other than practice for another 38 years:D

very first rough draft called SRV NOT!!!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1644&alid=-1

Thanks, Bill

first off i loooove the guitar sound...
string noise....call it "feeling"..if i had to suffer through som estring noise to play like this ...i WOULD BE ONE NOISY SONOF A BITCH.....lol.....around 1:00 when you get into that little groove ...nice....this needs backing up....if nothing more than a bass...to me ...

very cool tho ..LEAVE THE NOISE
jamal

The tone is real good, all the notes are clear and full. The room sound is cool. Sounds like your sitting on a stool out front in the middle by. The string noise takes a backseat and seems to go away after listening for a few seconds. :)

i would go for a little less reverb on a song like this.......i think that would help..........great playing........... in my experience, micing from just a little further away can really help reduce picknoise

Jamal Bucket; Thanks for the compliment. I am having trouble playing clean right now as I hurt my lower back , BAD ,a week ago and it affecting my posture and everything else in a major way. But its giving me some time to work on my recording skills. Ive been working on the tone thing and thought I had improved greatly over the DI sound I was using. I was pretty frustrated and dissappointed when I heard all that buzzing ,pickand finger unintentional pulloff noise. Im not very experienced with this mic'n stuff yet.

yeah I have some bass ideas and some fills on an old cassette I made of this, Im just adding to my list of things to do.:eek: I have not completed one project YET!

You comments and encouragement are appreciated

peace
Bill

powderfinger, Ill try moving the mic back some and hopefully that will help.
Thanks
Bill

Nice playing, having fret noise is just preference. Some like it, some dont. I never minded it. They do have lube at guitar shops for fret noise but I have yet to get some.

You might try double micing your gtr to make the sound fuller.
Are you doing this on pain pills due to your back? Im sure it would be a lot cleaner when you recover from your back problems.
Myx

funny that you should mention the fuller sound. I was just reworking it and trying to get it to spread out a little. I added another copy of the track and worked the pan. I dont know how to get a good stereo spread yet but I think this experiment helped some . I just uploaded the result. Also took some verb out.
Does that string lube really help the string noise? I use talcum powder to keep the string/finger contact slick! Doesnt help the noise though.

Enjoyed the tune. I honestly didn't find the string noise bothersome. But I can relate to what your saying (hearing).

I've been working on my acoustic guitar tone as well .... and I've had this annoying "problem" with string noise as well (Taylor 410ce). I've been double micing it. I have a Rode NT1 and a Electro-Voice N/D257B (I haven't the faintest idea where I got it from). I've been placing the EV at the bridge and the NT1 at the 12th fret.

The Rode NT1 is hot and bright and seems to pick up a ton of string noise. I screwed around with EQ, compression and every spot I could think of in front of the guitar - but this high pitched string noise remained.

The EV on the other hand doesn't seem to pick up the string noise, but isn't as nice overall.

Finally, I think I've stumbled onto something. For "snicks and grins" I placed the NT1 over my shoulder - next to my right ear approximately (I leave the EV at the bridge). Preliminary indications are that the string noise is gone- without any loss in volume or fidelity!! I came across this late one night last week and haven't been able to go back and confirm it yet. This week though.

BPOCO

Very nice, good tone, that’s a beautiful song, and you do a nice job on it. I don't actually play it but a friend asked me to listen to it one day to see if I could pick out some of the changes for him.

I know this isn't the forum but if you want to mess around with some of these chords you may like them, especially as on acoustic version.

0,10,9,7,7,7 to 5,X,5,6,7,7

X,8,7,5,5,5 to 3.X,3,4,5,5

X,6,5,3,3,3 to 2,X,2,3,4,4

X,2,1,2,3,X - X,2,1,2,1,X > Emi9

You play very well, please don't misinterpret the suggestion

Joe

Woah! That panning is making me dizzy.:D

Nice playing.:)

I think you need to experiment with your mic placement a bit more. The fretting noises aren't that bad, but the guitar lacks body for a solo piece. Maybe try micing more of the body and less of the neck.

Smokepole, Very good, sounds nice that way too except for the high e string. I mute that string, just doesnt sound right to me

the 2,X,2,3,4,4
X,2,1,2,3,X - X,2,1,2,1,X sounds better than what Ive been playing. I appreciate the tip and the time. feel free to add tips anytime:D

Of course theres a lot more to the SRV song than I put up here. I dont expect to be able to play it like he does , But I love this one and lenny, prob as much as anything else he did
Living In Dallas you can't help but join the Srv fanatics! I really need to work on doing a whole cover unplugged instead of just a segment of the song.
Peace Bill

M.brane ..Sorry bout that.. I didnt try it with headphones:D should have posted a warning for those susceptible to seasickness. It really just sounded a little wider on the monitors with a little movement. Honest!!!:o

Peace Bill

Some nice pickin' there. Sounds like you've got some pretty good fingers. Guitar sounded good. I felt like I just got off the Tilt-a-Whirl after all that panning though. :D

Nice work. Hope your back gets better quick. :)

wfaraoni, I'm glad you were able to use something.

I have huge hands but I remember one chord that he plays in the intro that covers 6 frets. OUCH

You know what they say,... big hands.......

big gloves

joe

Jagular:Sorry bout that. I went back to the original upload after getting seasick myself with headphones on:D

So much for experimentation

M.brane.. Oh you must one of those guys who can still actually hear! Unfortunately Im not. I can hear up to about 8k and have tinnitus, with a constant ring about 6K:(

Smokepole: Hmmm... Never tried playing with gloves:D

wfaraoni said:
Jagular:Sorry bout that. I went back to the original upload after getting seasick myself with headphones on:D

So much for experimentation

hehe...It's all good :D

BPOCO, Double mic'n , you must love challenge. Im struggling with one right now. Actually this is the best tone Iv'e been able to get so far. I think Ill keep the tone even if it has some zips and thunks in there.

I read about that over the shoulder placement somewhere here.. I guess you like it but I cant see how it imroves the overall sound. Ill take your word for it though.

Thats way too deep for me.
I appreciate the advice.

>Well the tone ain't all that relative to the sound you could get by tightening up the playing a tad and futzing with the mic/position. (Back off a tad)

The real heavy shmutz was at the front of the file and then it calmed down some- leading me to paragraph A. A few more tries (after woodshedding that difficult passage) will give this tune what you are looking for.

Back