Spiral

Just a little 3khz boost in the bass for definition?
Nice intro.
The snare hit punctuation wasn't quite loud or soft enough. Maybe even a bit of slapback echo on those punctuation points to emphasize them. Some of the extreme panning needs looking at as well - I like the idea of it but it doesn't seem to quite work.
This is good mate. Nice gravely vox too.

Wellllllll, To me the mix sort works the way it is if your goal is to make the vocals really stand out from the music. The first lead section stands out too, but later takes on the same tone as the rythem.

If I was giving advise on the typical mix I would say the guitars are lacking treble pretty badly. I'd also roll of the bass quickly at 90hz or so to start. If you've done that I'd pull down anything you've pushed up from 500 down. Rays 3k comment may be needed as well. I would try pulling the looooows first. Doesn't sound like a hi pass was used at all to me.

Vocals sound real nice against the current mix :)

I get the feeling your going for a dark/smooth mix...... if that's the case, you have it.

Cool song.

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Wellllllll, To me the mix sort works the way it is if your goal is to make the vocals really stand out from the music.
I get the feeling your going for a dark/smooth mix...... if that's the case, you have it.

Cool song.

F.S.
I agree with that.

At first I thought the drums (especially kik drum) were too low, but as I got used to the groove it started working for me. One thing it has going for it big time: It doesn't sound like anyone. That's a good thing.

RAMI said:
I agree with that.

At first I thought the drums (especially kik drum) were too low, but as I got used to the groove it started working for me. One thing it has going for it big time: It doesn't sound like anyone. That's a good thing.
Thanks Rami,

I try to mix songs to themselves and not try to "MAKE" them sound like anything other things, although I do get influenced on some sond if they strongly remind me of something else I've heard. The singer song write of this group has always been on of my favorite musicians to work with. I've always loved his vocals.

awesome guitar tone. i would redo the drum tracks, more crisp and deliberate. it sounds like a techno beat here. I agree with adding some definition and fullness to the bass. maybe bring the vocals and echo down a bit. it'd be cool if you could spotlight that guitar a little more before the song ends too.

I think the guitars sound pretty good. They maybe could use a little more sizzle, but thats personal taste. It would work either way. The bass needs some cleaning up though. Vocals sound great. My only real nit is the drums. The snare sounds sort of thin and tinny and I'm not really hearing much kick at all. They don't need to be out front taking over shit, but I'd like to hear them sound a little more powerful. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. When I go back to remix the song I will take in your advice since most everyone is on the same page, it should not be that hard to do. :D

Great song. I love the groove. I'm listening on a laptop, not the best but a good lowest common denominator situation. The sounds are all good. The guitar might be able to come up a few db and the vocal down a few db. You might experiment with a different reverb as well, something shorter. The drums might sound kick ass with no verb at all. Just subjective things.

Great job.

Jon

I was going through my archives and found my "first" mix of the song. I think it is actually closer to what most everyone here was asking for. I did a little mastering to it and am now ready for your review.

Back