Spijt (HRC with a cheat)

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
Hey there...it's been a while since I posted a song (or posted anything at all :) ....that's because I'm kinda busy lately, mainly work)

Anyway, I'm not dead! This is one the songs I'm currently working on.

Spijt

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=462

Alternate location (if NWR is too slow for your taste)

It was an attempt to write a 6/8 R'n'B ballad type of song. Translation of the title is 'regret'. So think of all the stupid things you regret (add the word 'relationship'), and you know what I'm singing about. (I don't have time to translate it)

I've recorded the vocals with a compressor in my signal chain, so I'm disqualified for the challenge. Yet, I decided to mix it dry anyway. Just for fun. The rest is dry as hell...(true, guitars and bass through a signal processor, but no afterwards applied fx). So every chorus you hear is natural (couple of voices singing the same part at the same time).

I'm thinking about tightening the harmonies a little. The lead at the end is screwed up too. Will definitely redo that. The guitarsolo is a lame attempt to emulate a blues guitarist. But I'm a bassplayer, and you can hear that ;)

O, the drums are by Walter (DDRUMS, real cymbals)...and yes I KNOW THEY SOUND THIN! Especially when I can't use any fx to beef 'm up! :D

Last edited:
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

I'll try later man..... :confused:

Attachments

• ped.jpg
    ped.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 226
Heh, basstone is my bass through a Korg AX1000G guitar processor! :)

Thanks for listening.

(about the sappyness: in my opinion you gotta try every style...one day I'll try something that sounds even sappier to your ear....and full-on metal is still on my list too)

Last edited:
Awesome man! I like how it seems all like happy and then yet it's DARK no it's not, YES IT IS ITS DARK nope everythings fine
:) :( :) :( :) :( :)
chord change at 1:13 - yeah!

I like what's going on in this song and for all dry it sounds great. I hear what you are saying about the lead, what you have sounds tasty but there are some spots where you could just FLOAT over that.

Hey if you ever feel like shopping out for some lead work, I don't know if you've heard any of mine but I'd be happy to volunteer.
:D

Vox is really good....harmonies are superb...
the performance is really top notch....
Personally I like the guit solo...it just needs some volume...

it's too bad that Aerosmith already did this music though...ya know?

Take it easy man,
Joe

Khompy: thanks man! Glad you like...I'll think about that guitar solo. I can ask you, or someone else...but when I do it myself, I might learn something new. I always like to learn something new (that's why I wrote this tune in the first place)...so I guess I'll try it again myself first ok?

Joro: thank you too! And eh, Aerosmith never sang in dutch right? ;) (note: I make pop music, for me it's a compliment when someone thinks my music 'smells' a bit like something that's been done before...cliche's make the world go round! :D )

Sounds good Ped........I especially like the way you arrange your vocal parts.

I'm too hung-over to deeply analyze this.....but you have quickly become one of the guys in the clinic who's songs are always distinctive and worth the download.
I enjoyed it......now I have to go ease my aching head......

Nice! I like the arranging and harmonies, typical but well done. It starts a bit shakey in the vocal department but it tightens up real quick.

The song does go on a bit long...

It seems like you should be able to get a thicker drum sound even without FX.

Good song. I like the changes and the the key part has just the right sound-that xylophone sound, nice. Vocal layering is great as always-lead vocal sounds pretty good-maybe a bit flat here and there-not enough to bother me. Decent guitar solo-musta been hard not to whip out a gavid Gilmour lick there...a complicated bridge section into the end jam schweet.

Once you work your mix magic on this it will be great-maybe try for a better solo?? I like your willingness to do different styles too-I'm all for that-and you usually add a twist in there-like the bridge in this song.

Mix sounds good dry, except the vocal cheat :)-no limiting?

Still enjoying your cd-its in rotation in my car now :D

This will be a good one for sure Tjarko. Nice chord progressions.

I'll be interested to hear the vocals after a full mix. Right now the highs sound a bit hyped.

Great harmonies throughout. There's a low vocal in the section around 4:00 that I think could be used more here and there throughout the song... you know something in that range here and there that might provide even deeper dynamic accents for the vocals.

Lemme know if you'd like a guitar solo for this. I'd enjoy gliding over this soundscape. I like your version of pop a lot.

Good stuff man.

Tom

cool and smooth arrangement man. The only thing I was uncomfortable with was that right-panned guitar in the beginning, after the rest of the pieces took their places it worked out ok. :)

Beatles meet Beethoven in a dark alley!:D

You took what in lesser hands would be a very stock tune, and made it interesting.

Mix is a bit thin, but nothing that can't easily be fixed. It's mostly the drums & lead guitar that are lacking fullness.

But then I have the opposite problem with my stuff.:eek:

Jezus Tjarko je klinkt hier als Xander de Buisonje!!! argh..

Very nice song, actually nothing indeed that's sounding unpossible to fix, even more actually nothing that sounds bad in any way at all.. just the vocals sound not clear enough to me. But the balance and everything is wonderful again!

Lt. Bob: thanks, maybe it's me but it seems like you're always hung-over when you're listening to my music....doesn't matter but I just think it's funny, especially considering the lyrics (I'm singing like (and about) I just woke up with a headache...nasal and bored like hell)

jake-owa: true, with different sounds I can get the sound thicker. But I've only got one stereo file containing all drumsounds. So I can't change the sounds...

I'm already thinking about redoing the vocals. And no, it's not too long. It's great ;)

Stratomaster: I'm singing like this (flat) for a good reason. It's supposed to sound like I just woke up with a headache (hey, I've said that already :D ) Feels real good you dig my cd. :)

SLuiCe: thanks Tom! I recorded this with my Shure BG5.1, notorious for its hyped highs. As I said to Jake, I'm thinking about redoing them with my new mic. Hopefully with more confidence. Yes, I'd like to hear a better guitarsolo. Mainly the part in the middle. Perhaps at the end, wailing while the song fades (yes, fades are weak endings, I know, but sometimes a weak ending is goooooooood :D )

I'll think about you doing that guitar solo, yeah I know, it's an offer I can't refuse...but I like to give it a few more shots myself, ok?

Toki987: Hahaha, I wasn't even aware it was right-panned. I'll see what I can do for you... :D

M.Brane: Thank you....I'll try to fatten it up a little for you. It was kinda hard to achieve that without equalisers...

F_cksia: Xander de Buisonje?!!! :eek: That guy makes me puke! You've just ended our friendship, buddy...

Kiddin', I already told you (twice) why I'm singing like this. On top of that: I was getting sick of the 'I can't make up what you're singing about'- and 'you sound exactly like Hennie Vrienten' comments....so this time I tried to improve my diction a little. Unfortunately there are still bloody freaks like you who say things like 'the vocals sound not clear enough to me'...(vreemde combi met de Xander-opmerking ook, die gast articuleert immers zo erg dat je er jeuk van krijgt....beetje als 'Vriendennnnn voor het levennnnnnn'-Danny de Munck)

Anyway, I hate you! Argh!

Kiddin', again...

Errrrrrrr, Aerosmith, Beatles, Beethoven, Xander de Buisonjé...you guys are weird. ;) Feels good to make something so shockingly sappy though. Makes me wanna take it to another step...how can I make you guys sick? LOL :D

I can't really give mix advice in my current listening environment...but you don't need it anyway. I'm just stopping by to say that this is WONDERFUL!!

I haven't read any replies, but I hope somebody besides me is reminded of Pink Floyd's earlier material...obviously, I have no idea what the subject matter is about, but maybe that's all the more reason it reminded me of Floyd, lol.

Again, I shouldn't be trusted on the mix end, but that bass sounds freaking SWEET!!...the EQ numbers LOOK right, lol...and it sounds great on what I'm listening...so....YOU'RE DONE, EH???

Hugs and Kisses (lmao)
Chris

Back