Spider-Man

TripleM said:
Pedulist - I wonder if the dirty sound you're talking about is the buildup of distorted guitars. The main rhy is doubled, and then there's the riff. I don't know. Not many effects on the vox - lots of layers and a bit of large room reverb. Thanks.

Forget it, it was me....my mp3-player was freaking out :)

Toki - thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you liked it. Layering is a beautiful beautiful thing.

xalien - "Here he comes, walking down the street, he gets the funniest looks from..." hmm maybe you could work these songs together. I'm starting work on it right now. Thanks.

Lt. - totally groovy comments baby... yeah. My drums always suck. I'm still waiting for someone to step up and lay down some tracks.

CyanMan - hey I'll take an A- from you. You were always a tough grader. But not a wildcard huh? :)

eric - I knew you'd be around to this eventually. I did a few things differently on this one to address some of what you said. I'm glad it's finally working. Now I gotta go back and redo all those other songs I screwed up. I don't know if this thing is good enough to go anywhere or not. And I don't know who to send it to or how to "package" it. But I think it needs drums. Don't know if you can pull anything together (I know you said your studio is broken down right now). But if you have an opportunity, I certainly wouldn't discourage you from putting down some drums. Think about it.

Pedullist - I'm breathing a little easier now. I still think that some of what you were hearing is what Kramer said that it lacks a little on the high end. But it's good to hear it's not a major problem.

Trip,

Top shelf all the way around. Exceptional vocal harmonies, nice & tight and well arranged. Perfect for this 60's genre. A few tweaks as mentioned on previous posts and a set of Ludwigs will take it over the top.
If this has not been submitted yet, do some internet sluething and find out who the top 20 production houses are for this kind of programatic material, and SEND IT TO ALL OF THEM! Remember to put as much painstaking care in your presentation to them as you do with your music.

peace,
flat-9

Now this was just to damn kool for school..man terrific job on this, should of been in the first movie..hope i hear it in the second one:) . I loved it..

First off the guitar tone "SUCKS" absolutely perfectly! Great choice for this tune. I'm doing the swim.

Very nice recording, excellent job on the vocals too. Well written. I can agree about brightening up the mix a bit but only because it was said. I probably wouldn't say that if it wasn't pointed out. But that's so minor, the song is huge.

Joe

Yeah, Baby....

I checked out "Spiderman".

Nothing to rip here, it's just too cool.

The only thing I noticed was the drums were a little low for my tastes..I'd give it that "Tommy Ramone" mix, with the ride cymbal cutting through high.

The vocals were absolutely perfect. Couldn't mix em any more evenly.

Man, would I LOVE to jam with you guyz...
Whaddya say?

This would make a great Saturday morning TV song.
Youze guyz should be talking to Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network.
They might just pay you for this.

I'm gonna download the rest of your stuff, as I will assume it is equally digable.

VI

Is spiderman considered a mutant?

Nice hook!!Fuzzed to the max;) Not crazy about the reverb on the vox.Needs a tighter room IMO.Grooooovey solo.That fuzz sounds really cool.:cool: Some pipe organs in the back might sound really 60's.Maybe in some key spots.You could easily stick em in just for the recording.Great tune anyway.

flat-so - thank you. I gotta figure out how to shop something. I'd like real drums first though. Glad you liked it.

David - I doubt you'll hear it in the second one, but who knows?

Smokepole - thank you for the listen. If I had to do it over again, I'd back off the drive on the riff just a hair. I've learned that distortion gets over-emphasized on recordings. It's still ok I think though - just not perfect.

Village Person (don't want to insult you :D) - thanks man. Cartoon Network - that would be cool. I'm still getting my recording chops down - the other stuff out there from me isn't done all that well. But check 'em out anyway. Dang - I ride cymbal - that would help a ton (give it a little high end energy). Why didn't I think of that? Oh I know, because I'm stupid. That's why.

twist - thanks.

W.I.S.C. - glad you liked it. I experimented with quite a few verbs, but I didn't get one that was exactly what I wanted. I sort of have the same gripe as you. It's a large room verb. I tried medium and small rooms, but I thought they were worse. This was the best I could come up with. Maybe should have shortened the predelay a bit more. Pipe organs? Not surea about that...

Thanks to everyone.

I wanted to catch this tune,can't believe it's on the thrid page already.

Great vibe,those guitars totally rock!

First rocker Iv'e heard from you TM,I knew you had it in ya!:D
Great harmonies and a very cool song!

I really enjoyed it,
Pete

:)

a couple things came to mind immediatley

roy orbison/vince neil/smashmouth :D

i could here this on the sat. morning cartoons.... Coool!

Thanks for the web spinnin' adventure!

I was a Barnes and Noble down the street from ya the other day :)

Ah! This is the first time I've really heard your voice up front--and its a very cool voice you have there. I thought the overall mix was about right. I wasn't nuts about the drums--I think thats the next area you should investigate.

The main thing is that your recordings are getting clearer and more defined. I think you are making good progress. I think you have the vocal thing under control now. Next is the bass/drums aspect. You need to find some better options for drum samples--more ambient so they are present, but spatially back in the mix some.

I see a big improvement, though. I really do. You have reached a new level. Keep playing around! You are really jumping ahead and I think its cool!

I can't believe I forgot to respond to this ... there's actually a funny story there, but I'll cut to the chase.

1000% Better

Yes, I realize that doesn't make a lot of mathematical sense, but it's heartfelt.

There are a ton of good things to talk about, but I'm hoping they've been covered...just assume I agree with those. :D

Now, I loved the guitar tone FOR THIS SONG. I think if you'd tried it on another tune, I'd not like it...but it's almost an effect on this one. If that was intentional, you rule. If it wasn't intentional, you rule.

cons - I think it's the drums...I don't know for sure, honestly, b/c I can never figure stuff like this out unless I'm physically able to adjust and hear, but I think the drums are smaller than they should be. Maybe a volume thing, maybe a panning thing, maybe a compression thing, maybe a "chris is stupid, b/c they're fine" thing, but SOMETHING is keeping this from sounding huge.

My bad for not responding earlier.

I'll read the thread now and see if you got new gear.

Pete - I know I thanked you via a PM, but since the thread got bumped, I'll re-thank you.

Dim - I've been working hard to get a good guitar sound, so it was good to read your comments.

Jeff - thanks for the listen. Didn't understand your comments at first. But after thinking about it, there's the falsetto (Orbison), scratchy voice (Neil), and cheezy guitar hook (Smashmouth). Never would've thought of that on my own. I appreciate the comments. Stay away from books, they mess up your mind. Watch cartoons on TV instead. :)

crawdad - I'm improving because of guys like you. Thanks for your help. I may put together some specific questions and PM you. I'm afraid that anything that would improve the drums would cost too many $$$. I should probably try to look for better samples.

chris - yeah it's about time asswipe :D. Thanks though. I've stopped doing some stupid things, and started doing some better things. It's still a ways from being pro (understatement). The fuzz on the guitar was intentional and just for this song. I don't think it would work on most other songs. I just thought it fit well with spiders (spiders are fuzzy, guitar is fuzzy - get it?).

Hey Trip!

Nothing mix wise to add, pretty well covered.
But..........

This is frickin hilarious!!!!!!!

I dig it big time! A definate stooges feel. Reminds me of that Hawaii 5-0 tune they did. Love the "slit speaker" fuzz on that guitar.
Blends well. Just tweak them drums and this is good to go.

jcmm

With a title like "Spiderman' I just had to listen to this.
Excellent song,you totally caught the retro vibe.

Hopefully the last bump...

jcmm - I appreciate the comments. I hopefully have some stuff going on with the drums...

acidrock - I was going for the "superhero sound" on this. Glad you liked it.

M.Brane - Thank you as well.

Back