"The Spice Felange" - synthwave rock inspired by "Dune"

If you're going for epic, I might add more changeups.

The slowdown and then speed backup up towards the end were my favorite parts. Outside of that, it's a lot of cycling between the same two chords at the same general volume. The key with a good epic is dynamics; it needs to take you on a journey!

If you're going for epic, I might add more changeups.

The slowdown and then speed backup up towards the end were my favorite parts. Outside of that, it's a lot of cycling between the same two chords at the same general volume. The key with a good epic is dynamics; it needs to take you on a journey!

Steve- thanks for the listen. And glad you liked the slowdown section as I was worried that was too much of a musical gamble.

And yes, all true observations. Though I disagree that dynamics are the "end-all-be-all" for a good epic. In the Pink Floyd sense, absolutely (Echoes). But I consider ZZ Top a very epic sound, and their songs are a lot of repetitive droning between 2-3 chords at the same general volume, and I find them totally kickass. The Talking Heads' most epic album (Remain In Light) is founded on the concept of hypnotic droning and tension at the same general volume (The Great Curve, Crosseyed and Painless, Born Under Punches) and many other Talking Heads tracks (Once In a Lifetime, Life During Wartime, I Zimbra). Hypnotic tension is something I find very appealing and often times pretty epic, which is what I am attempting on The Spice Felange. To each their own I guess!

Sounds good! I like the stuff going on in the verse between the guit? and synth and the smooth melody. Synth sounded a little high endy on my monitor. Vocals sound nice, when you go to the higher range the volume jumps a good bit.

I was thinking the same thing about dynamics...this hits hard right from the start and barely lets up, it seems at odds with the smooth melody to my ears. Talking heads did repetetive droning stuff yes, but the parts were spare and left space between, this is full on full volume non stop playing. Also seemed to lack in the bass and sub-kind of mid high hyped sound.

But the real reason i listened is because i'm a big fan of "Dune" and has anyone pointed out that you've mispelled your reference? The spice is called "MELANGE" The spice extends life, the spice expands consciousness, the spice is vital for space travel!

Sounds good! I like the stuff going on in the verse between the guit? and synth and the smooth melody. Synth sounded a little high endy on my monitor. Vocals sound nice, when you go to the higher range the volume jumps a good bit.

I was thinking the same thing about dynamics...this hits hard right from the start and barely lets up, it seems at odds with the smooth melody to my ears. Talking heads did repetetive droning stuff yes, but the parts were spare and left space between, this is full on full volume non stop playing. Also seemed to lack in the bass and sub-kind of mid high hyped sound.

But the real reason i listened is because i'm a big fan of "Dune" and has anyone pointed out that you've mispelled your reference? The spice is called "MELANGE" The spice extends life, the spice expands consciousness, the spice is vital for space travel!

The goal was indeed for it to be a constant onslaught of sound. It will make more sense within the context of the album it is being released on. And yes, I intentionally titled it "Felange" because I thought "Melange" was too obvious/generic...so I swapped it to "Felange" as a subtle reference to the flanger effects used on the guitar and throughout the track.

Very good job , I really liked the contrast between the high energy backing and the "very nicely done" laid back vocals. Enjoyed it . mark

Back