Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Speak To Me ....... an original

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Powderville
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    8188951

    Speak To Me ....... an original

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Speak To Me ....... an original

    experimenting with pedal point here....



    use the download button to get a 16 bit/44.1khz wav, if the streaming sux

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Narf City, USA
    Posts
    3,012
    Thanks
    498
    Thanked 153 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    3962596
    Dig the song (might drag on for a bit longer than needed).

    Only technical issue is there's a touch of sibilance on the vocals, sharpness on those S's etc. I also typically have more kick presence but that's a mixing preference thing.
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,161
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 571 Times in 543 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    Sounds good to me, I like the sitar-like sounds at beginning and end. Like Pinky, I think it drags out a bit too long - probably because there's no change to the overall rhythm and structure, even when you go to th elead part, the rhyhtm stays the same.
    Last edited by mjbphotos; 01-19-2015 at 10:46.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Floyd's Knobs, IN
    Posts
    906
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 205 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    3545215
    Cool song. I heard the sibilance too a couple times in there, but wasn't too bad
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Powderville
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    8188951
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Dig the song (might drag on for a bit longer than needed).

    Only technical issue is there's a touch of sibilance on the vocals, sharpness on those S's etc. I also typically have more kick presence but that's a mixing preference thing.
    you know, i TRIED to tame that sibilence....
    and found out, that the freq's that needed taming, were the same freq's i wanted to hear to get the clarity on the voice!

    OOPS

    a tracking error..
    as it is, i placed a comp, and a deesser, across the vox buss, and it helped (you should hear it without it.....)
    but of course, i'm draggin a lot of my "ssss's...." out on purpose, as a means to focus certain words,
    and in those instances, i just can't de-ess enough without killing the clarity,
    so i found a happy medium.

    as far as the backing tracks, meaning, everything except the guitars and vox,
    these drums and bass tracks (along with the assortment of odd instruments) are from a 320kbps MP3 file i had from a earlier collab,
    i converted the mp3 to wav and ran with it.... could not get the original tracks....
    and i had to use the mix as it was.....

    i tweaked the hell out of it to get it where it is,
    that's about as far as i could milk it.

    i could do an entire post on JUST what i had to do to work with a 'demo' backing track from an mp3 file.
    LOL

    thanks again for listening...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Powderville
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    8188951
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Sounds good to me, I like the sitar-like sounds at beginning and end. Like Pinky, I think it drags out a bit too long - probably because there's no change to the overall rhythm and structure, even when you go to th elead part, the rhyhtm stays the same.
    thanks mjb,
    the sitar is a sample, originally played into nuendo with a midi keyboard,
    then tweaked.

    the idea of the 'no change' is intentional..
    it's kind of a 'hypno' approach..... some people like that, some don't....
    almost like a dance track, but more trippy and more rocking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Narf City, USA
    Posts
    3,012
    Thanks
    498
    Thanked 153 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    3962596
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO-X View Post
    as far as the backing tracks, meaning, everything except the guitars and vox,
    these drums and bass tracks (along with the assortment of odd instruments) are from a 320kbps MP3 file i had from a earlier collab,
    i converted the mp3 to wav and ran with it.... could not get the original tracks....
    and i had to use the mix as it was.....

    i tweaked the hell out of it to get it where it is,
    that's about as far as i could milk it.

    i could do an entire post on JUST what i had to do to work with a 'demo' backing track from an mp3 file.
    LOL
    I once used a vocal track recorded with an iPhone 3 for a song. Sounds like we would have interesting notes to compare of hellish engineering. It sounded good, but would have been better done properly. Point being - compromises are audible. [now I'm going to email this vocalist to see if they want to retrack it, since they have the proper gear to do them over again properly... wasn't even on my radar of things to do but why not]
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clinton, NC
    Posts
    5,745
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 448 Times in 421 Posts
    Rep Power
    10005772
    I'm going to go a little against the grain, here. I love this song.
    I was listening to this tune a little while ago. Turned it on and got mentally involved in something else entirely (the mail to be honest) in the other room. Darned if I didn't think it was a radio song before I came back into the room and realized I'd left your track playing. Really good stuff! Vocals are completely oustanding! This could almost pass as pop if it was a lot less complex (still just might).
    Tweak: The guitar part at 27-36 and starting around 3:28 is a bit overblown, but well played.
    That's it...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Rome PA
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Awesome job !! I liked it a lot ! Lots going on in it.
    Mbox 3 - Pro Tools 11 - Shure Sm 57 - Sennheiser 835 - Martin Acoustic - Fender Strat -

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Powderville
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    8188951
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruthish View Post
    Cool song. I heard the sibilance too a couple times in there, but wasn't too bad
    thanks for listening, bruthish....
    the sibilence, yes, i almost think it has to stay, for the clarity of the words spoken.......
    i can surely tweak that kind of thing more, tho

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. just mixed some original beatz with original lyrics
    By Manor Music in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 15:29
  2. "Speak to Me" - trippy rock original
    By GONZO-X in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 07:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •