SpaceGirl-DemoRecording

AaronChapman

Went for something a little cheeky and fun. Love to hear all your thoughts and suggestions. Also, open to collabs if someone wants to lend a hand(sorry to people who have offered help in the past. Just read those messages now). Some drums would be cool. I've been trying to create some drum samples but I just don't have many resources for playing around with other than household items and tapping on the guitar :P. This is primarily a rough mix just to see what I like and don't like about the song structure before I put in the work. Mixing ideas are super helpful- songs to compare, effects to try, etc. Definitely will need to use a de-esser for the final track. And...I'll admit the backup vocals are a little shaky at times.

SideNote: Is this the appropriate thread for sharing this stuff?

Thanks
Space Girl by Aaron Chap | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Make no mistake,
She has no grace.
But, a pretty face.

She's a sucker for nostalgia;
Cloudy lava lamps,
Ships in a bottle.

But you stick around.
She's not hostile,
And you like being a clown.

She keeps things always half throttle.
Your timeless boondoggle,
As she shuttles through space.

She's that...
SPACE GIRL.
And I'm just...
ONE WORLD.
Just one world,
You see.

She's that...
SPACEGIRL.
SPACEGIRL!
Cosmic eons in this heart,
You see.

She's that...
SPACEGIRL!
I'm one world...
I'm one world,
You see.

She's that...
SPACEGIRL!
SPACEGIRL!
Flying through this galaxy. (x2)

Last edited:
I really like the beginning. But it sort of falls apart at the chorus. I would change that by largely eliminating the backing vocal and simplifying things. Either that or just remove the spacey feel. I know what you're after but it's not working.

I really like the guitar style. Sounds like an open tuning. Not sure how I feel about the squeaky part during chord transitions, though. It either adds texture or it's annoying, but I can't tell which.

Do you have some distortion coming in on the guitar when the vocal FX kick in? I would emphasize that and probably add more instruments to fill out the mix there. I agree with dwillis, that the heavily affected vocals don't match the acoustic vibe that the song has, but if you add more stuff so it's not an acoustic vibe there, it would work.

Prior to that, It'd be good to add some reverb or other "room" sound to the vocals. They're far close than the guitar.
And the guitar has a pretty high noise floor.

Back