Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Space and Time - All Acoustic 90s Grunge/Rock Song

Thanks

Space and Time - All Acoustic 90s Grunge/Rock Song

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

Working on a Alice in Chains crossed with Soundgarden-style acoustic song. Still need to retrack the solo/lead part and do some polishing. Mix feedback welcome:

Thanks
    Before listening, I would recommend more Soundgarden, less Alice 'n' Chainz.

It's pretty squashed. There's really no dynamics throughout the song.

Thanks
    Sounds good, I like the feel of the song alot and a nice change to the chorus... it would sound less like those bands you mentioned if it didn't have the constant bu vocal, that seemed to be very defining of AIC is my first thought. I wouldn't think of aic if that bu vocal only came in during the chorus. Again my own opinion i would have just gone with it and psychedicized this mix more! The drums seem forward-maybe a bit over compressed to me-the rim shot being panned left compared to the snare center has a weird effect to me. Turnaround to the 2nd verse is a bit sloppy-not mix related..Again not mix related but another element during the chorus a higher guitar pattern? (i hear an echoed harmonium since who knows a sax player?) might add some dynamic tension between verse and chorus. Again not mix related sorry haha but why not solo on electric and keep it as the vocal gets more gruff later in the song as the climax. As far as the psychedelic thing i mentioned you get it going on in the last seconds of the song with that wash of vocals i would do more of that kind of stuff as the song builds. Sorry for almost no mix comments, i think the song has an evocative mood that could be expanded upon, the sounds/performance and mix you're getting all sound very good to me.
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

Thanks
    Don't hear much Soundgarden, lots of Alice though. The acoustics are over dominating though...I think it comes down to the fact that they seems to over compressed or just overly boomy and big. Your also loosing part of the solo because of this too. Good song though.
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    Snare is too loud both as side-stick in the verses and hits in the chorus (fine during the lead part). Maybe its the compression on the acoustics, or the tone, but they dont' have much definition (the way I can tell is I think it would nt be easy for me to play the part just by listening and playing along.
    Last edited by mjbphotos; 01-23-2018 at 17:57.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Yeah on headphones the rimshots and snare are a little loud. It is quite AIC. I like the vocals and bvs, they're very good. The tune as a whole is pretty good too although acoustics aren't really my thing. When you going to do a song with real guitars?

Thanks
    Hi all,

Here is an updated version. Feedback welcome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    Yeah on headphones the rimshots and snare are a little loud. It is quite AIC. I like the vocals and bvs, they're very good. The tune as a whole is pretty good too although acoustics aren't really my thing. When you going to do a song with real guitars?
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I fixed the rimshots and snare in the latest version. Funny thing, acoustics aren't really my thing either - this is my first (mostly) all acoustic tune. AIC did some of this type of stuff, so I thought I would set myself a challenge to write an acoustic tune.

Thanks
    I like it.

It's just a little clogged up in the verses for me. Maybe drop the acoustics back a half dB overall and then duck them against both the vocals and electric guitar lead a little?

P.S. Yes, a bit overcompressed for me too.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Snare and sidestick are better now, but the roll-off tom and snare accents in verses are really muffled. Acoustics seem better, but agree that ducking them to the vocal would be a good idea.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information