Southbound

Wow, that's some good playing and singing. Try bringing up the bass, and the rhythm guitar on the left slightly.

damn dude, very nice. head boppin the whole time while listening. great groove.

why do i hear what sounds like drum edits every now and again? i do notice a few timing issues on drums. did you shift some things over a few times? 1:11 is an example. the hat or ride drops out suddenly.

yeah, i grooved to this. :guitar: very good song. wish i had another southbound roadtrip coming up. would've been perfect for our cross country trek to new aw-leans last spring.

Wow, that's some good playing and singing. Try bringing up the bass, and the rhythm guitar on the left slightly.
Thanks robus.
good tips for the remix.

damn dude, very nice. head boppin the whole time while listening. great groove.

why do i hear what sounds like drum edits every now and again? i do notice a few timing issues on drums. did you shift some things over a few times? 1:11 is an example. the hat or ride drops out suddenly.

yeah, i grooved to this. :guitar: very good song. wish i had another southbound roadtrip coming up. would've been perfect for our cross country trek to new aw-leans last spring.
Thanks andrush.
Yeah, you are hearing the ride drop out. In that part where I'm singing "yeah I'm soundbound" over the guitar riff (1:11) I'm doing a quick tom roll that repeats throughout that part. Between that and what I'm doing with the kick drum I'm losing focus with the ride. There is also a lack of consistency on how hard I'm hitting the snare. I've only been playing drums about 6 months and I have a long ways to go.
Thanks for listening !

Love it. Great cover. Channeling some Dickie Betts. The solos are almost exactly how I remember them. Did you learn them note for note? Oh wait, the fade out is different. I like what you did there with the double leads. I didn't listen to the drums, too busy enjoying the guitar work.

I'm listening on Bose headphones which boost the bass a bit so I'm not in a position to comment on the mix, but sounds good on these things.

Dude, I'm becoming a fan of yours. Keep it up.

Love it. Great cover. Channeling some Dickie Betts. The solos are almost exactly how I remember them. Did you learn them note for note? Oh wait, the fade out is different. I like what you did there with the double leads. I didn't listen to the drums, too busy enjoying the guitar work.

I'm listening on Bose headphones which boost the bass a bit so I'm not in a position to comment on the mix, but sounds good on these things.

Dude, I'm becoming a fan of yours. Keep it up.

Thanks Chili.
The intro is pretty much note for note but the rest of it is just Dickie Betts style licks im throwing out there off the top of my head. I used to play this and a few other Allman Bros tunes in my bar band days.
I appreciate you giving it a listen!

Last edited:
Drums, especially the snare, sound dry and up front while the vocal sounds more distant. Turn the snare down a little, do a low shelf cut from about 300Hz (guessing), maybe 2 or 3dB, and put some reverb on it, just enough to put it in the same kind of space as the vocal.

Great playing. You need a real band with human interaction. This kind of thing should be played live. The wires on the snare should rattle with bass notes. I want to hear the cymbals decay naturally, not fade down in time for the next hit. It's too clean.

Drums, especially the snare, sound dry and up front while the vocal sounds more distant. Turn the snare down a little, do a low shelf cut from about 300Hz (guessing), maybe 2 or 3dB, and put some reverb on it, just enough to put it in the same kind of space as the vocal.

Great playing. You need a real band with human interaction. This kind of thing should be played live. The wires on the snare should rattle with bass notes. I want to hear the cymbals decay naturally, not fade down in time for the next hit. It's too clean.

Thanks boulder.
I appreciate the mixing advise. I agree the kit probably needs some verb. My drum recording setup is 2 overhead condensers, a sm57 on snare, and a bass drum mic. Probably a tad of the same reverb I have on the vocals applied to the overhead mic tracks would do the trick.
The cymbals are decaying naturally by the way....it's basically 2 over heads capturing a live drum performance.

BTW, meant to ask: Is that the Peavey amp you bought recently?

yes.
It's the 20 watt peavey bravo tube amp I bought for 200 bucks. The signal chain is my late 70s Japanese Vantage Les Paul Copy into the peavey amp with no pedals or effects.

Nice-I like the drum sound, that 70's kind of drum sound that is do-able by us lowly home recorders. Really good drum sound actually, how far wide do you pan your overheads? Sometimes it seems the snare is coming out of both speakers(or more one than another) rather than center if that makes any sense. Some timing issues on the drums for sure, I also heard what I thought was an edit, right before you sing "southbound" the first time, it harshed me out my mellow first time I heard it. Guitar and bass playing both excellent, good tones on everything and sounds well recorded. I would turn up the guitars and bass as they are the strength of the song, it almost sounds like the drums are featured and as you say you've only been playing a short time. Very good vocal track and sound. So I guess my only real advice is turn down the drums a bit : ).

Nice-I like the drum sound, that 70's kind of drum sound that is do-able by us lowly home recorders. Really good drum sound actually, how far wide do you pan your overheads? Sometimes it seems the snare is coming out of both speakers(or more one than another) rather than center if that makes any sense. Some timing issues on the drums for sure, I also heard what I thought was an edit, right before you sing "southbound" the first time, it harshed me out my mellow first time I heard it. Guitar and bass playing both excellent, good tones on everything and sounds well recorded. I would turn up the guitars and bass as they are the strength of the song, it almost sounds like the drums are featured and as you say you've only been playing a short time. Very good vocal track and sound. So I guess my only real advice is turn down the drums a bit : ).
Thanks for listening Strato.
On the drum over heads I have one directly over the snare drum pointing straight down at the center of the snare. The other one is behind me above my right shoulder and pointing at the center of the kick drum. They have to been the same distance from the snare or there will be phase issues. I just take 2 drumsticks end to end as my measurement.
There is a proper name for this mic placement technique but it evades me at the moment.
I have tried a lot of different mic placements and this one works best. for me.

Great guitar tones as usual. Love the soul on those licks. They all site nicely together IMO. It's a nice convincing performance. Sounds almost live.

Great vocal performance. Love your voice man!

Drums sound good and clear. I am not detecting any phase problems or anything.

Mix-wise I have no complaints.

Very cool ABB! (rip butch trucks). Man, your nailing the vibe and hittin the note! I think vocals are great, guitar sounds fantastic, nice playing...I think I would have bass a little more present in the mix...there is some cool grooves in this tune...really channeling the Betts style man....great cover, ended to soon for me ;>)

Great guitar tones as usual. Love the soul on those licks. They all site nicely together IMO. It's a nice convincing performance. Sounds almost live.

Great vocal performance. Love your voice man!

Drums sound good and clear. I am not detecting any phase problems or anything.

Mix-wise I have no complaints.

Thanks IBB. I appreciate you giving this tune a listen!
Very cool ABB! (rip butch trucks). Man, your nailing the vibe and hittin the note! I think vocals are great, guitar sounds fantastic, nice playing...I think I would have bass a little more present in the mix...there is some cool grooves in this tune...really channeling the Betts style man....great cover, ended to soon for me ;>)
Thanks queepy.
It was a fun recording to make. I agree the bass probably could benifit from a bump in volume.
Thanks for listening !

Great "live" like recording, reminiscent of early Almond Brothers. I would downplay the snare a bit for two reasons: 1) A bit too upfront, 2) a bit sloppy. This song deserves a little bit better drumming, if you ever get a chance to re-track (or you could do some timing corrections if there was not much bleed from other instruments into the snare close mic)

Thanks Luke,
The drums could certainly be improved upon with a better performamce, but I'm already tracking another song and trying to learn steel guitar (new instrument for me) for it. So, for now I will have to put retracking the drums for this one on the back burner.
I appreciate the listen!

Its almost redundant commenting on your stuff because
A) you do it so well, and
B) See A

nothing stood out to me...still listening as writing this so unless it all goes tits up towards the end :)

Hey - the guitars and vocals on this are really nice.

There is a great genuine quality to your voice and guitar work for stuff like this.

Timing on the drums was a distraction for me. It's cool that you're doing it all yourself though. I liked what you did with the guitars during the outro.

Fun stuff!

Its almost redundant commenting on your stuff because
A) you do it so well, and
B) See A

nothing stood out to me...still listening as writing this so unless it all goes tits up towards the end :)

Thanks kc.
I appreciate you taking the time to give it a listen and post a reply!
Hey - the guitars and vocals on this are really nice.

There is a great genuine quality to your voice and guitar work for stuff like this.

Timing on the drums was a distraction for me. It's cool that you're doing it all yourself though. I liked what you did with the guitars during the outro.

Fun stuff!

Thanks heat.
The drummer I collaborated with for decades died of lung cancer this past summer. I wish he was still around man, he was my best friend as well. I wouldn't make a pimple on his ass I terms of playing the drums, but I try to do the best I can. I'm just not there yet as far as laying down a solid performances without issues.

I wish I could do better but it's just not in me yet....more practice, practice, practice will smooth things out I think.

Back