Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Southbound

Thanks

Southbound

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm doing all the instruments and vocals on this one.
    Little bit of old school rock!

All coments welcome.

I was country before they took the O out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimistone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, that's some good playing and singing. Try bringing up the bass, and the rhythm guitar on the left slightly.

Thanks
    damn dude, very nice. head boppin the whole time while listening. great groove.

why do i hear what sounds like drum edits every now and again? i do notice a few timing issues on drums. did you shift some things over a few times? 1:11 is an example. the hat or ride drops out suddenly.

yeah, i grooved to this. very good song. wish i had another southbound roadtrip coming up. would've been perfect for our cross country trek to new aw-leans last spring.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Wow, that's some good playing and singing. Try bringing up the bass, and the rhythm guitar on the left slightly.
    Thanks robus.
    good tips for the remix.

Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    damn dude, very nice. head boppin the whole time while listening. great groove.

why do i hear what sounds like drum edits every now and again? i do notice a few timing issues on drums. did you shift some things over a few times? 1:11 is an example. the hat or ride drops out suddenly.

yeah, i grooved to this. very good song. wish i had another southbound roadtrip coming up. would've been perfect for our cross country trek to new aw-leans last spring.
    Thanks andrush.
    Yeah, you are hearing the ride drop out. In that part where I'm singing "yeah I'm soundbound" over the guitar riff (1:11) I'm doing a quick tom roll that repeats throughout that part. Between that and what I'm doing with the kick drum I'm losing focus with the ride. There is also a lack of consistency on how hard I'm hitting the snare. I've only been playing drums about 6 months and I have a long ways to go.
    Thanks for listening !

Thanks
    Love it. Great cover. Channeling some Dickie Betts. The solos are almost exactly how I remember them. Did you learn them note for note? Oh wait, the fade out is different. I like what you did there with the double leads. I didn't listen to the drums, too busy enjoying the guitar work.

I'm listening on Bose headphones which boost the bass a bit so I'm not in a position to comment on the mix, but sounds good on these things.

Dude, I'm becoming a fan of yours. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Love it. Great cover. Channeling some Dickie Betts. The solos are almost exactly how I remember them. Did you learn them note for note? Oh wait, the fade out is different. I like what you did there with the double leads. I didn't listen to the drums, too busy enjoying the guitar work.

I'm listening on Bose headphones which boost the bass a bit so I'm not in a position to comment on the mix, but sounds good on these things.

Dude, I'm becoming a fan of yours. Keep it up.
    Thanks Chili.
    The intro is pretty much note for note but the rest of it is just Dickie Betts style licks im throwing out there off the top of my head. I used to play this and a few other Allman Bros tunes in my bar band days.
    I appreciate you giving it a listen!
    Last edited by jimistone; 02-10-2017 at 05:40.

Thanks
    Drums, especially the snare, sound dry and up front while the vocal sounds more distant. Turn the snare down a little, do a low shelf cut from about 300Hz (guessing), maybe 2 or 3dB, and put some reverb on it, just enough to put it in the same kind of space as the vocal.

Great playing. You need a real band with human interaction. This kind of thing should be played live. The wires on the snare should rattle with bass notes. I want to hear the cymbals decay naturally, not fade down in time for the next hit. It's too clean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Drums, especially the snare, sound dry and up front while the vocal sounds more distant. Turn the snare down a little, do a low shelf cut from about 300Hz (guessing), maybe 2 or 3dB, and put some reverb on it, just enough to put it in the same kind of space as the vocal.

Great playing. You need a real band with human interaction. This kind of thing should be played live. The wires on the snare should rattle with bass notes. I want to hear the cymbals decay naturally, not fade down in time for the next hit. It's too clean.
    Thanks boulder.
    I appreciate the mixing advise. I agree the kit probably needs some verb. My drum recording setup is 2 overhead condensers, a sm57 on snare, and a bass drum mic. Probably a tad of the same reverb I have on the vocals applied to the overhead mic tracks would do the trick.
    The cymbals are decaying naturally by the way....it's basically 2 over heads capturing a live drum performance.

Thanks
    BTW, meant to ask: Is that the Peavey amp you bought recently?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    BTW, meant to ask: Is that the Peavey amp you bought recently?
    yes.
    It's the 20 watt peavey bravo tube amp I bought for 200 bucks. The signal chain is my late 70s Japanese Vantage Les Paul Copy into the peavey amp with no pedals or effects.

Thread Information