Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Southbound

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Nice-I like the drum sound, that 70's kind of drum sound that is do-able by us lowly home recorders. Really good drum sound actually, how far wide do you pan your overheads? Sometimes it seems the snare is coming out of both speakers(or more one than another) rather than center if that makes any sense. Some timing issues on the drums for sure, I also heard what I thought was an edit, right before you sing "southbound" the first time, it harshed me out my mellow first time I heard it. Guitar and bass playing both excellent, good tones on everything and sounds well recorded. I would turn up the guitars and bass as they are the strength of the song, it almost sounds like the drums are featured and as you say you've only been playing a short time. Very good vocal track and sound. So I guess my only real advice is turn down the drums a bit : ).
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratomaster View Post
    Nice-I like the drum sound, that 70's kind of drum sound that is do-able by us lowly home recorders. Really good drum sound actually, how far wide do you pan your overheads? Sometimes it seems the snare is coming out of both speakers(or more one than another) rather than center if that makes any sense. Some timing issues on the drums for sure, I also heard what I thought was an edit, right before you sing "southbound" the first time, it harshed me out my mellow first time I heard it. Guitar and bass playing both excellent, good tones on everything and sounds well recorded. I would turn up the guitars and bass as they are the strength of the song, it almost sounds like the drums are featured and as you say you've only been playing a short time. Very good vocal track and sound. So I guess my only real advice is turn down the drums a bit : ).
    Thanks for listening Strato.
    On the drum over heads I have one directly over the snare drum pointing straight down at the center of the snare. The other one is behind me above my right shoulder and pointing at the center of the kick drum. They have to been the same distance from the snare or there will be phase issues. I just take 2 drumsticks end to end as my measurement.
    There is a proper name for this mic placement technique but it evades me at the moment.
    I have tried a lot of different mic placements and this one works best. for me.
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    Great guitar tones as usual. Love the soul on those licks. They all site nicely together IMO. It's a nice convincing performance. Sounds almost live.

Great vocal performance. Love your voice man!

Drums sound good and clear. I am not detecting any phase problems or anything.

Mix-wise I have no complaints.
    “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.” - Socrates

Thanks
    Very cool ABB! (rip butch trucks). Man, your nailing the vibe and hittin the note! I think vocals are great, guitar sounds fantastic, nice playing...I think I would have bass a little more present in the mix...there is some cool grooves in this tune...really channeling the Betts style man....great cover, ended to soon for me ;>)
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibleedburgundy View Post
    Great guitar tones as usual. Love the soul on those licks. They all site nicely together IMO. It's a nice convincing performance. Sounds almost live.

Great vocal performance. Love your voice man!

Drums sound good and clear. I am not detecting any phase problems or anything.

Mix-wise I have no complaints.
    Thanks IBB. I appreciate you giving this tune a listen!
    Quote Originally Posted by queepy View Post
    Very cool ABB! (rip butch trucks). Man, your nailing the vibe and hittin the note! I think vocals are great, guitar sounds fantastic, nice playing...I think I would have bass a little more present in the mix...there is some cool grooves in this tune...really channeling the Betts style man....great cover, ended to soon for me ;>)
    Thanks queepy.
    It was a fun recording to make. I agree the bass probably could benifit from a bump in volume.
    Thanks for listening !

Thanks
    Great "live" like recording, reminiscent of early Almond Brothers. I would downplay the snare a bit for two reasons: 1) A bit too upfront, 2) a bit sloppy. This song deserves a little bit better drumming, if you ever get a chance to re-track (or you could do some timing corrections if there was not much bleed from other instruments into the snare close mic)
    If your government slows down or stops your internet, it's time to slow down or stop your government!

Thanks
    Thanks Luke,
    The drums could certainly be improved upon with a better performamce, but I'm already tracking another song and trying to learn steel guitar (new instrument for me) for it. So, for now I will have to put retracking the drums for this one on the back burner.
    I appreciate the listen!

Thanks
    Its almost redundant commenting on your stuff because
    A) you do it so well, and
    B) See A

nothing stood out to me...still listening as writing this so unless it all goes tits up towards the end
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Hey - the guitars and vocals on this are really nice.

There is a great genuine quality to your voice and guitar work for stuff like this.

Timing on the drums was a distraction for me. It's cool that you're doing it all yourself though. I liked what you did with the guitars during the outro.

Fun stuff!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    Its almost redundant commenting on your stuff because
    A) you do it so well, and
    B) See A

nothing stood out to me...still listening as writing this so unless it all goes tits up towards the end
    Thanks kc.
    I appreciate you taking the time to give it a listen and post a reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Hey - the guitars and vocals on this are really nice.

There is a great genuine quality to your voice and guitar work for stuff like this.

Timing on the drums was a distraction for me. It's cool that you're doing it all yourself though. I liked what you did with the guitars during the outro.

Fun stuff!
    Thanks heat.
    The drummer I collaborated with for decades died of lung cancer this past summer. I wish he was still around man, he was my best friend as well. I wouldn't make a pimple on his ass I terms of playing the drums, but I try to do the best I can. I'm just not there yet as far as laying down a solid performances without issues.

I wish I could do better but it's just not in me yet....more practice, practice, practice will smooth things out I think.

Thread Information