Sorry

CMiller

I just wanted you guys to know that the reason I haven't reviewed any tunes for the past week or so is because I've having a difficult time staying on AOL without getting kicked off. I know, I know...AOL sucks, but for better or worse that's what I've got for now. I haven't been able to stay on for more than five minutes and that's way too short to download anything. Anyway, as soon as this clears up I promise to download as much stuff as I can. Sorry guys!

I've been fighting this AOL thing now for a while and it just sucks. It's so maddening. What the hell am I paying for? It seems to be getting a little better. At times yesterday I was able to stay online for a half hour only getting kicked off once. Depending how things look today, I'll try downloading something.

CMiller, I'm sure you already tried this (so sorry for asking), but have you tried any of the alternate numbers for AOL in your area? There are a few numbers that mess with my AOL... same goes for my earthlink account.

Yeah Teddie, I look up new numbers all the time hoping to grab one that works better! I also alternate which numbers I use...that seems to work as well. Like I said, AOL goes through phases where I have no problems for months, and then in a two or three week period they just suck. I should just change ISP's, but I'm a lazy, lazy man.

You know, I received 3 CD's in one week (actually two days apart) from AOL. Two of them were in fancy CD cases (thanks AOL for the nice cases to send stuff out with... :D)with some very nice 4 color process printing on it. They were offering 500 FREE HOURS!!!

Now, let's look at a few numbers here folks.

CD to be maded = let's say about .70 because they print millions of them.

CD Box it came in = I am guessing about .70 because they buy millions of them.

Graphic Designer for Print job = At around $60 and hour, 10 hours for this $600

Printing costs = Hard to say, but lets say .10 per package, includes putting it together and shrink wrap.

So, we have about $1.50 per CD sent out. I got three, $4.50

I am going to bet that they made at least 500,000 or them to send out! That is a minimum of $750,000 spent to try to get people to use their service.

I ask you, who the hell DOESN'T KNOW that AOL exists? Why the expensive advertising?

Hey, if I want my AOL, I know to just go to www.aol.com and download the freakin' software.

So, that was at least 3/4 of a millions dollars spent on their stupid advertising campaign that could have went to more dial up lines for users. Or, it could have went towards upgrading their all ready over taxed servers.

You deserve problems with AOL.

This is not meant to be an attack on anybody here that uses it, but, if the shoe fits...... :)

Let's face it, their browser more of less takes over your system. It doesn't work all that great anyway. They don't really offer anything that you can't find elsewhere.

AOL is a rip.

Recommendation?

Get off your lazy butts guys and reinstall your OS and get a different ISP. You will be amazed at how much better your computer will work without the AOL browser installed.

I did a reinstall for a friend last summer who had been using AOL before that. I talked her out of installing it on the computer again. She has an old P133 machine with 32MB of RAM. Not a very fast machine. Anyway, reinstalled, showed her how to not keep a bunch of junk .html files on the hard drive, haven't heard from her since.... :) I talk to her every month or so and always ask how her computer is working, making a point to ask if her system is starting to slow down. NADA.....She is very happy with it and hasn't noticed any performance decreases since last summer. Nice.

So get that AOL off of your machines. It will thanks you for it... :D

Ed

Ed, yeah, but what do you really think about AOL? :)

I think I got the same pretty package with the latest AOL disc that you received recently. It came in the mail, and my oldest son thought it was a Disney movie. It was packaged in an "almost large enough to be a video tape" case and it had some beautiful, way colorful "Disney/Fantasia" style graphics on it. I said the same type of thing to my wife that you were saying up there, "That's a beautiful package, hon. Let's see, they spent shyte-loads of money on this latest mail-out so people could join that shyte-service... blah blah - AOL needs to prioritize what they put there freakin' dollars into... they need to put the money into the service they provide and stop cheesing people with these freakin' coasters"... I was pretty huffy about it.

When I quit AOL to join Earthlink, I called up AOL to tell them to delete my account. They asked me why I was leaving AOL and I told them (this was around 1998 or 99) I told them it was because "I usually download large files, and I sure as hell consider downloading an "activity", but you guys keep disconnecting me during a download because of "inactivity", what the...?"

I told her I was going to Earthlink, and she tried to get me to join Earthlink and still keep AOL at half price because they had this promotion with Earthlink because apparently a lot of people were leaving AOL for EArthlink (which at the time was pretty new)... I'm making assumptions as to why they would make me a cheesy offer like that after I told them that they were basically porking me when I'm trying to do downloads.

The conversation continued and I got frustrated and said, please delete my account, and in the best "AOL logoff voice" I could muster up, I said "GOODBYE." (click)

Although, when my Earthlink account starts acting up, I use my wife's AOL account (she's had her AOL account way before we were married... she ain't givin it up).

Lately though, as far as our local numbers around here are concerned, she hasn't had any problems with her AOL on her machine... go figure.

I'd like you to know that the reason I haven't downloaded any tunes for about 2 months is that I'm lazy. Damn lazy.

Slackmaster 2000

Back