"Sooner or Later" - Is it done?

K-dub

I'm just soliciting opinions on whether folks think the mix is finished or not --- particularly as it relates the whether drums (which are not real) are convincing enough ...

Any comments truly appreciated ...

Thanks!

Kev-

Sooner or Later

Stick a fork in this!

Nicely done :)

OK, I wouldn't mind if the vocals were double-tracked :o And the bass could stand a wee more punch. Snare could be slightly brighter. I'm really nitpicking now . . .

Some 3khz on the bass and a slight drop in the HH in the intro for my tastes.
Good work.

Listening on cans, but the overall mix is fine. Snare seems kinda muddy at times.

Very Peter Gabriel like to me. Love the bass, reminds me of Spacehogs riffage.

Haha, when I saw "Sooner or Later" I was expecting a Breaking Benjamin...I was suprised, but not in a bad way.

I'm in agreement w/ all ...

The snare does need to dry up just a tad, and be slightly brighter -- I'll add some 8k for snap.

I'll bring the hh down just a hair early in ...

I may redo the vocal w/ slightly different lyrics. If I do, adding a doubled track isn't a big deal.

The bass has a lot of boost around 1k, but only slight in the 3k range ... so I'll add a little more "wire" to it there.

Nobody commented on the drums per se ... which, I suppose is a good thing -- meaning they're accepted because they don't "poke out" as "off".

Thanks all! I appreciate the comments!

Best,

Kev-

FWIW ... I listened and adapted the changes into a new mix.

A new version is located at the link above for a listen, but I think this may be close to complete.

Warm thanks again to all who commented and contributed! It's truly appreciated.

Best,

Kev-

Ah,
That sounds really sorted to my ears. Nice work & bulk praise for asking, listening & acting whilst maintaining your own vision.
The bass is "in the pocket" & the HH doesn't nag. Oh, and it's a top piece of work too - ought not forget to mention that.

Thank you, bud. I have minor miriest issues with it myself ... but no one would really notice but me, and close enough is acceptably complete.

I always wonder ...

How do folks who don't materially participate in such crucial formative forging of their work do it?

I mean ...

Say you're an artist ...

You wrote, arranged and performed your work. Then you turn EVERYTHING critical over to others ... the mixing ... the mastering etc ...

I know that they have talent ... and an inherent desire to do their best -- but I also know there is SOOOOO much latitude and longitude w/ where things can go after tracking ... that --

NOT being involved in the process would really bother me.

I don't know how others walk away and leave it to fate ...

Maybe that's just me ... just musing ...

Kev-

What a nice little busy bassline - I agree on the Spacehog vibe.

This song has a nice groove to it.

The drums could use more falams. Just kidding. They're perfect.

K, this is some gorgeous music. Wow.

Those are NOT real drums??? Pretty convincing, man. I'm really digging the bass line all through this. The flams (that Supercreep alluded to) might be a bit much, especially in the bridge(?).

Overall, great mix and song, though.

Coolios

Nice song/mix. also because the drums are false.

only thing i would change is the guitar solo. less distortion, and a tube amp, if it is a tube amp it seems like a pretty nasty one. heh. but if you where just using what you had. very nice job.

-Heath

I do not like drum flams ka bam, I do not like them Sam I am ...

:D

The good thing about midi drumming is all I have to do to change it is swap out the midi file that it's based on.

The sound, the mix, can remain intact -- for the drums will sound the same, only fire differently.

As I said above, I was VERY concerned that this get "pulled off" like a real drummer. I didn't want the other performances ... which I think are stellar (they're not me -- I'm the keyboardist/writer, vocalist and simple rhythm git player here ... oh -- and drum programmer) ... anyways ... I didn't want the bass and other guitar work "lessened" in anyway by "robot drummer".

I personally love the nasty tone of the solo ... and I know that's a personal taste thing ... but it is so low down and dirty, it usually has me jumping around my control room like a rabid monkey playing air guitar. Pics of that won't be hitting the net anytime soon. :D

I've an offer from a live drummer to play real drums on this, so we'll see where that takes things. I'm terribly discerning when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for the comments all!!! REALLY appreciated.

Best,

Kev-

The overall mix sounds great. Great master compression. (if you used any...it was very transparent) But my only concern would be the drums. The cymbals were good, but I really was expecting the snare to be more bright and upfront. Especially because the rest of the mix is so upfront, the snare just sounded in another room. That's the only thing I didn't care for though. I loved the guitar solo by the way. Great classic rock tone.

Nice groove has a Peter Gabriel and Bruce vibe to it. I would either fix the snare with eq and compression or just find a new sample. Whatd you use to do the drums they are programmed very well! Cool solo :D

Like the little piano melody too!

K-dub said:
I'm just soliciting opinions on whether folks think the mix is finished or not --- particularly as it relates the whether drums (which are not real) are convincing enough ...

Any comments truly appreciated ...

Thanks!

Kev-

Sooner or Later

Stellar programming dude!!! What's wrong with flams? I might change out some of the crash sounds, they're "afterthoughty".... Also, when you do some of the tasty 32nds in the hats coming our of the 1st verse, can you dequantize them a tad? They are mechanical if you listen REAL close. No nits on the raw timing of the drums, but I hear two or three tiny entrance clams form the keys and one guitar, nothing you couldn't slide over a bit and fix if you wanted, but don't do it TOO well and dehumanize it.

Given the smoothness of the rest of the tune, I'd go more for a compressed, L.A kind of solo sound, less fuzzy...

I so know what you mean by ceding control in the formative stages; I think that's why I work alone for the most part; unless I need good guitar work. :)

Anyone ever tell you you have a little Steve Winwood in your voice? A smidge of Gabriel too..

For my taste, the bass guitar is just a little wuffly; I like a little more definition; but the sound you have suits the genre well.

Personally, I get the impression that most people would be happy, but you're not, but you know you probably should be. But go with your heart, dude. I think it's very very close, mere inches from where you're gonna be comfy.

Hey -- another CT dude. I'm in Storrs, hubbawho.

The master compression is Sonar's VC 64 ... free w/ the program and my walk away favorite compressor.

The snare has been the bugaboo of the mix. I agree w/ all, and I'll continue to attend to it.

This kit is a custom blend via DFHS ... and the sample load is near 800mb. The midi clips are various ones that I pieced together through Toontracks' new midi player free -- which is GREAT.

I do think I am closing in now, with only minor issues remaining.

THANKS so much for the comments. I really listen to what's said, and count on input to refine what still needs addressing.

Best,

Kev-

I'd get some of the rhythm instruments up in the mix a bit. That is unless is supposed to be drums bass and vocals all the way through. I know I heard some piano in there. That should weave in and out through the song. So should some rhythm guitar. It just seems kind of dead to me. Good groove, nothing else though. vocals are good.

The major elements I mixed for, hd, are the things you mentioned. So in a sense, I got across what I was going for.

On the other hand, "kind of dead" is a bit of a broad brush condemnation.

Is it that you feel the rest of the rhythm parts don't drive the work supplementally adequately?

Kev-

K-dub said:
The major elements I mixed for, hd, are the things you mentioned. So in a sense, I got across what I was going for.

On the other hand, "kind of dead" is a bit of a broad brush condemnation.

Is it that you feel the rest of the rhythm parts don't drive the work supplementally adequately?

Kev-

I guess if that's what you was going for then mission accomplished. Very well I might add. I just would like to hear a bit more of the stuff you have buried in the back is all. Not all the way through either. Maybe just when there are no vocals.

Got it -- Essentially: "step the background slightly forward when the space clears out". That makes sense.

Thanks hd!

Kev-

Back