"Sooner or Later"

K-dub

I believe this version is the one I'm going to send off to the M.E., but I wanted to run the listen by the good ears here first, in the event that I might have overlooked something obvious. If something jumps out as "off" on your playback system(s), please let me know.

Thanks for the listen and/or help/comment!

Best,

Kev-

------------->Sooner or Later<-----------------

Deep linking?

Hi, Kevin:

Maybe it's because I'm on my computer at work, but the link merely advises that "deep linking is not allowed."

I try again when I get home.

I got it at that link

Hmmmmmm. I remember this one from some months back. I'm still thinking about it.

I'd like to compare it to the original version. I'll search your previous posts to find it.

Didn't the old one have more harmony vocals?

At 4:00, or there abouts, I like the staccato guitar work - reminds me a little of some Doobie Brothers' licks when Michael was in the band.

Further report to follow.........

Wait a minute, the original might be in the kids' iTunes library!

Senor Blanco!

It was you post of 6-8-07, in which you asked whether it was "done." However, the link to the original will no longer cooperate. Therefore, I am left without a reference point to confirm my recollections.

You commented that you were concerned about the canned drums. I don't recall any concerns myself at that time.

I will be listening further........

Undertones

The "rumble" at the beginning and end is just right.

I don't detect anything untoward at all. Of course, I'm just an old fart.

For some reason, I thought the original had some sweet vocal harmonies.

It certainly works well without them (if they were there in the first place).

Burn it!

ALWAYS a pleasure to hear one of your compositions.

THANKS G!

It wasn't done. I did ultimately decide to go with a real drummer on the piece (versus DFHS), and I wasn't disappointed. I think the drummer's performance took the production up to a whole new level.

I listen to this myself and find it slightly amazing that it was totally birthed via the net. It's a wonderful age we live in where that can happen.

btw ... this one never had any harmonies. Thanks again for the input, bud. I appreciate it.

Best,

Kev-

Little bit of a "whoops" again on my part.

There is a difference between a mix "right off the board", and one that has that additional "polish" of mastering applied to it.

Normally, I take my mix off my DAW and save the raw file as the one that goes to the M.E. -- but then I'll do a quick "mastering" of the file, save it as an mp3 ... and then post up that mp3 for critque. It gives a closer representation of what it will sound like after mastering -- even though I never master my own stuff on final release.

Anycase, the mix I posted here had no such polish on it -- I forgot to do the last step before saving it ... so it was straight off the DAW ... no frills.

The link above NOW has had that extra "little something" applied.

FWIW ...

Best,

Kev-

Chef Kevino!

All right. PM me with the recipe for the delicious sauce you drizzled over this pasta for a quick "mastering."

I'd like to compare it to the earlier post, because it now seems to jump out of the speakers.

By the way, I never commented on the ditty with the lap steel. Quite nice! You never cease to amaze with your diversity. As luck would have it, I'm trying to repair an old Kalamazoo lap steel my dad bought used back in the sixties. It's got to be 60 or 70 years old. One of the tuning buds is broken off. I want to keep the original appearance so I don't want to replace the whole side of machine heads. I can buy a replacement for about $2.00 from Stuart-MacDonald, but the shipping is almost six bucks. Go figure!

Also, coincidently, I already had in progress a country song, about playing golf, which has a pedal steel appearance, which I looped. I might have it up in a few weeks.

I will, G. As per usual, it's less than one might think. I don't like to apply too dramatic an impact myself ... yet one must do what must do to make it sound "appropriate".

Yet, it's only my opinion, and that's why I regularly trust others to make it.

:D

K-

The top link doesn't work, antichef. I'd have removed it entirely, but for the fact that one can only edit posts on HR for a limited period.

If you look down the page a couple replies from there, you'll find the working link.

Best,

Kev-

I regret to suuegst that some may not work their way down ater the deep link error.
Sounds great though the vox seem a little too loud for my tastes in the 1st section.
There are a couple of moments when the two distorted guitars clash due to similar EQ.
Nice work.

Missing the links is a consequential loss via hurrying through bulk processing of numerous threads, Ray. Since I can't edit the original via bbs programming restrictions, and posting a new one to compensate would be a bit of a political gaff, I'll have to live with my early error.

eh ... :D

Though I hope casual listeners find the link, I'm hearing from the learned folks I wanted to hear from (yourself included in that grouping) ... and I'm fully satisfied with the reduced input from those in "the know".

There are all sorts of minor things that I'd change -- if I could -- about this production. But there isn't much correction I can actually make. In our environment ... the internet collaboration thing ... what is sent is done.

In a straight studio environment, one might say -- "Wait, there are a couple guitars that are clashing. Let's retake."

I can't retake. I can only work with the material I'm sent ... and I appreciate fully the material I was sent, because ... well, it's a gift from the talented.

So I work with inevitable warts, and hope that the overall effect of the presentation is ... presentable as it is.

This is "homerecording.com" after all ... and not "studiorecording.com" ... and it just occurred to me that I should nail down that name if it's not taken. :D

So living with the inherent gaps that will arise in any given set of circumstances (as with everything), I hope that the best was made of what was given.

:D

Best,

Kev-

Very nice.:cool:

I really cant find anything to nit dag nabit.:mad::D Balances are right on. As a traditionalist I probably wouldnt pan the piano so far right, but I cant think of a musical reason why it really matters.:D

Sounds great though the vox seem a little too loud for my tastes in the 1st section.
Its definitely promiment. I happen to like it, but its right on the edge of being too much. I am glad i is so clear, I would much prefer that to the usual buried voice on so many recordings these days.

As always, a quality production. Well done.:)

I originally located the piano just right of center, David, but piano is so freq rich, and since I wanted the hike the bass guitar level, too much thick content center crowded the vocal space.

So I took the easy way out, I moved the piano out further right. Bass and vocal can share the sonic stage relatively easy, as both operate in different freq sectors. It doesn't seem to throw the balance too far out of whack.

I seem to be really mixing my vox forward lately. I'm not sure that that's a problem, but I do recognize that it's how I'm doing it.

Thanks for the comments, Mr. K!

Kev-

Sounds really good Kev....vocals are awesome....I hate you....:p

Mix sounds really good to me. Some nice punchy drums there...and I love the bass tone. Really nice job here.

Back