Songs for Mastering Project.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
It was suggested that I post a few songs in here to be looked at by some mastering engineers.. I'd like to get my cd as commercial as possible and I really don't want to spend money if my mixes arent good enough. I also don't want to keep re-recording songs if the tracks are good enough.

Could you please listen to these with an objective ear and let me know if they are ready for mastering. One has already been posted in the clinic.

Here are some songs I want on the album.

(dylan)

Thanks for your comments.

-Luke

Just listening to blue sky

Its lovely, but get rid of the lead guitar line. It is too weak, and the song doesn't really require it. Fantastic other than that
EDIT: In fact please get rid of the lead guitar, its awful, no offence or anything

Sanity: Like the choppy rythm playing on the acoustic throughout and then the lead acoustic line that comes in around 1:45, thats cool, much better than the electric lead in track above. Perhaps the song is a tiny bit long though.

ishallbereleased: Seems ok, but around 1:10, I can hear a distinctive breath-like sound, and also around 1:28. Also did vocalist use a pop-filter. I can hear a few plosive sounds. Finally, lead vocal is a bit out of tune in places. Do you have access to an auto-tune thing? Good raw sound though

allthesame:....Sorry dude, I should do some work.

Tunes are a bit `samey'

Ben.

Last edited:
I am definitely no authority on the matter....but I thought I'd give a listen anyway since I was one to recommend you posting them :D .

I'd agree with bendbones on alot of his points. I'm also not really into that lead guitar in Bluesky.
Vocals may be a bit "pitchy" in a few spots, but not badly or anything.

I like the playing on DADGAD....there is a strange sound at 0:39 in...not sure what that is but it's pretty obvious. Song sounds nice tho.

I would never pick on these points normally, I just figure you want some real critical listening. Good songs, and great guitar playing!

Dadgad...very nice playing. Sounds pretty good. I too heard the odd noise at :39. A few real dynamic plucks in there. All in all sounds good, just a few minor things you might try and fix.
I Shall Be Realeased....Some plosives in the vocals. These you should take care of. They are very noticeable. Probably have to retrack, but you could try and get rif of them with eq, or something. Nice tune despite this, but if you want to make a cd, you should lok into these.
Ed

Thank you all. I burned off 20 or so discs to hand out at some upcomming gigs just so I have something, but I'll try to address these issues before I get the actual disc mastered.

I liked the lead line in Blue Sky.. I just played a bunch of random crap and faded it in and out.. But if more than one person says it sucks I'll have to see what it sounds like without it.

Thanks again.. I was really trying to get away from retracking... Im just so sick of doing it.

Heh.

Oh well.

-Luke

Back