A song from the world's smallest violin

I'm probably not a good one to comment on music like this. But I will anyway.

I thought overall it sounded OK.

I thought the bass was a little rumbly and too loud. Not by much - just a bit.

That violin had a low/woody sound. Sounded like a viola to me.

Piano sounded OK, but just OK. A little cheapness in the sound.

If I were mixing this song, I wouldn't have the piano spread as wide low-to-high notes. That may be the way a piano sounds if you stick your head under the lid while playing, but who does that? Even when you're playing a nice grand with the lid up, the sound is mostly centered and if you're listening from 6 feet away, you don't get any panned effect at all.

If I were mixing this song, I wouldn't have the piano spread as wide low-to-high notes. That may be the way a piano sounds if you stick your head under the lid while playing, but who does that? Even when you're playing a nice grand with the lid up, the sound is mostly centered and if you're listening from 6 feet away, you don't get any panned effect at all.

I've only recorded grands in stereo. It's a nice effect.
This is MIDI but w/e.

Thanks for the listen

This track was finished elsewhere though so this thread is moot by now.

I liked the tune a lot. I thought it squared the circle of simplicity and craziness. The panning of the piano doesn't work so well when it solos at places like 1.22 - it's too wide. I also thought there's too much low and lowish end.

I liked it too. I"m listening on phones so I'll let others comment on the finer points of this mix

Yeah...when the the piano runs up and down the scales at 1:21 it goes way out to the sides and it's well past any normal piano sound. If you're going for that as an idea...well...it doesn't work when it goes too far past what people normally hear with recorded piano. Not that it's wrong...it's just sounds really deliberate I guess.

I enjoyed listening to it though. I was curious if it would develop past the basic instruments and it did a little. It holds its own as a basic composition. It works.

Back