Song for movie soundtrack

mojew

Hey. My band was commissioned to do a song for an indie film. We whipped this off yesterday and I could use some criticism.

Heh, I don't know if I'm the best person to provide feedback. But I could definitely imagine that song playing at the ending credits of a movie. I think the voice could be worked on a bit during the parts when none of the instruments are playing...maybe work on the reverb a bit? But overall, I like the sound of this, sounds exactly like something I'd hear in a movie. If that was your goal, you did a good job.

mojew said:
Hey. My band was commissioned to do a song for an indie film. We whipped this off yesterday and I could use some criticism.

:grin:

Sounds pretty good to me.

What kind of movie? Did they say or how do you have to figure out what style of music they want?

I have 1 I want to get in a movie. But its nothing like that. Its more easy listening along the style of some of David Gates and Bread.

D

I like the song. Its a little too short though. There is a timing problem in the first acoustic guitar intro.

Did you want mix criticism or did you just want to know if we liked the song? If you want mix criticism I think I could go on for about 2 paragraphs. I am not saying its in bad shape, but if you want it to be considered for a movie you'll need it to be very much more polished.

Beez

It's a good catchy tune and the quality of the recording is really nice. It might just be me, but I felt it needed a hair more in the mids or low end to add some fullness to the overall mix. The high end was crisp and clear, but it felt a bit shallow overall.

Nice stuff and congrats on getting on an indie film!

Nice feel good kinda song. Agree with bass master though I think it needs a bit more in the low end. But I enjoyed it!

Haha thanks everyone! I guess I was asking more for composition criticism than the mix quality. That was just a short, rough demo for the producer so he could decide if we were headed in the right direction. He actually ate it up and apparently wants to do a music video to tie in with the movie. Unfortunately they can't afford to send us to a real studio to record this so it'll have to stay with Reason drums, bass and synths instead of real instruments since my home studio/recording skill wouldn't be able to get them close to sounding that good.

Any suggestions on getting the most realistic drum sounds possible out of reason?

Prettygood. The drums are alright. I just got a dr 770 drum machine and I think that it is the cat's meow.

dyson steele: The producer sent us a few songs along the lines of what he was looking for, and we kind of went off of that.

I could see it in a movie...

Monstrous kick in there with monstrous verb is making it hard to feel my hands... I mean concentrate... :rolleyes:

As long is it's going to be re-worked a bit, I wish you well and welcome you to the wonderful world of officially not getting properly paid for commissioned music (I have a few old tunes in indie films - Pretty bad budgets, you know?).

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Best of luck!

mojew said:
dyson steele: The producer sent us a few songs along the lines of what he was looking for, and we kind of went off of that.

How did he find out about your band and your writing skills?

You do a lot of touring or what?

Hey, Look at Mel Gibson's stuff. Its a Indie and its making lot's o' $$$.

About the M-Video. I have a friend who is a nut in the video stuff. He is 52. Been doing the camera thing since he was 14. He's doing college now with the stuff trying to stay up with technology.

Anyway where I am headed with this is if you are near a college that has a video program you might talk with the director and see if there are some 3rd or 4th year students there that might want a project to get involved with. Might be to your benifit and his.

This friend of mine told me of a guy in his class that did a video for a band in N.Y. They flew down to Dallas and he picked them up. They went and shot the song at 22 different locations, 22 complete times in 1 day and he hauled them back to Big "D" where they boarded the plane and flew home. He only had 1 camera to work with.

He worked on the video for about 1 week then sent them a copy and sent MTV a copy. Now from what I understand the video caught on and the band took off and this guy was offered a deal to do the next shoot and be paid between $50K and $100k and they will fly him to the next shoot, do the bookings, and outright take care of the guy, because the band's manager and sound producer were blown away by the video.

Maybe this will give you or some one else here some help on getting a M-VDO done.

He did have a Mastered sound copy to work with on the syncing.

Good Luck

:cool:
D

It was kind of luck-of-the draw how he heard about us. It just so happened that the music consultant for the movie gave him our cd and he loved it. He told us he wanted to use a few songs in the movie and that he wanted an original song for it too.

As for the video, the producer is pretty much paying for and arranging the whole thing. We pretty much just really really really lucked out. I'll mention hiring some volunteers from local film schools to him for sure.

As for my band, we're all between 19 and 22 and take the band very seriously. We haven't toured yet, but will shortly and plan on making this band our careers.

Mind if I ask what band that was that you were talking about?

I will find out

Heck, I'm 50 and have a tendency to not pay as much attention as I use to to a lot of stuff. He told me but I was so pumped when I was demoing my song to him and he was talking about demoing it to Peter Sayer that the band name went right by me.

But I'll be seeing him again within the week and I will try to remember where this post is. Or you might PM me to remind me.

Man its great that your where your at. There's a wealth of info here at HR.com and people that will share and offer help.

Good Luck and I really do like what I heard.

:p ;) :D

D

Back