song for math geeks - my love is discrete

sean_mur88

hey hey, i recorded some stuff, i'm very amateurish and not sure i should even be posting, but i'll put it up here ...

it's a song about a prof i had in uni. anyhoo, my first "real"ish recording, still scraping some money together to get some decent gear, but it's a start. comments are appreciated :P

The guitar and lead vocal come in and out of volume balance throughout the whole song.

How are you micing your guitar?

It is definately bright, too bright I think.

Nice voice, and picking.

The back up voxs are really cool and executed with a professional quality.

guitar is mic'd with my only mic, a shure sm58. it's electric acoustic, but but i don't have an acoustic amp so i just mic the sound hole in the guitar. as far as brightness goes, how would i adjust something like that? (definately looking for advice, total recording newbie)

Those vocals bouncing in and out is VERY distracting. Cool vocal harmonies that come in, thats actually the best sounding part of the recording. Something is very wrong with that acoustic sound. I wouldn't pin point it as being to bright, though that is a problem, but I do believe the 58 was a bad choice on that guitar. Its making it sound very harsh and unreal.

Cute song, sounds very nice.

Ben

Sorry I was late getting back to ya. I am going to have another listen now.

What exactly are you recording with? That could have a lot to do with what you are getting.

Maybe adjust the highs a bit and add more low.

A different mic on the guitar might make a little difference. The 58 is good for vocals, and the 57 may be more of a choice for the guitar. But if you have to make due with what you got, I am sure it won't take much to get it more in balance.

It is like everything is right on top of the ears and with such a volume unbalance, it grates on them. It may be just as simple as you backing off the mic at different places... I know I have that problem of digging in, when I should be pulling out a bit. I listened 3xs more, once on my Dxs and twice on phones.

Man those back ups kick arse!!

Last edited:
Back