Song I Produced

gk-one

i'm in the process of my first payed production job and just completed the first song of a 4 song demo. the artist wanted some feedback so i told him i knew where to go.
hes a fantastic singer/songwriter named Michael P Ryan.
the song is called Duty Free(Again).
if you have some time please check it out and let me know what you think.
thanks
garrett
www.mp3.com/Michael_P__Ryan

Very good tune.It's pretty commercial so he's gotta be happy about that.:)Love the guitars....digging the delay on the lead guitar.......this is a good rock tune with shades of past rock eras.....cool song man.It's a keeper.

P.s. I hate mp3.com more than anybody here but this tune is worth the hassle.So check it out dudes and dudettes!

i just listened again and noticed that the other two songs on the site don't sound anywhere near this good. so he made a good decision hiring you.

anyway i did find one thing that might change. those electric rythm guitars could be a bit fuller. The part where he plays two sixteen note strums just before the chorus comes off just a little thin by today's standards. I'm looking for more crunch somehow. I don't know how to do that but B.Sabbath usually gets the sound I'm talking about.

This guy sounds like a major act from the 80's.I cant put my finger on it....vocals almost sound like Whitesnake.....music it moody 80's rock for sure.

Sounds pro, definitely.

Too slick for my taste, but the production is excellent! Good job!

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LISTEN AND GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS.
ERICHENRYUS-
I AGREE ABOUT THE 16TH NOTES BEING A BIT THIN. I HAD ACTUALLY WANTED THOSE TO BE MORE PROMINENT BUT COULDNT FIND A WAY TO DO IT AT MIXDOWN WITHOUT ANOTHER SET OF HANDS. HAD I CHOSEN A THICKER TONE FOR THAT PART INITIALLY, I WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT IN POST. WHATS THAT "HINDSIGHT" THINGY THEY SAY? :) I'LL CHECK OUT SOME OF B. SABBATHS TUNES. I DID A WHILE AGO AND REMEMBER LIKING HIS PLAYING AND TONES ALOT.
KRAMER- FUNNY YOU SHOULD POINT OUT THE WHITESNAKE REFERENCE.
EVERYONE OF MY MUSICIAN FRIENDS WHO IVE PLAYED IT FOR SEEMS TO MENTION IT AND HE WAS TOTALY UNAWARE OF IT. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE IT GETS UNDER HIS SKIN A LIL BIT SO I HAVE TO TEASE HIM ABOUT IT.
PEDULLIST-
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THE TUNE WE'RE CURRENTLY WORKING ON SHOULD HAVE A MUCH MORE ORGANIC PRODUCTION STYLE AND INSTRUMENTATION AS ITS A BIT MORE ROOTSY. GOT A SWEET PEDAL STEEL GUY COMIN OVER TO TRACK ON WEDNESDAY.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT GUYS.
GARRETT

gk-one said:
c'mon now peeps

I love it man.I've been listening to it at least once a day all week long.I've played in original southern rock bands that had this same type of groove going on(not that this is southern rock but it does resemble some of the bands out of the south) so I guess thats why Im one of the few to indentify with it.Moody BIG rock n roll with great vocals and classic guitar licks...if you post it "maybe" they will come.LOL.

YEAH! What he said! Throw that spammer out!

The song sounds like a great mix to me but the vocals are not clear in the mix. That seems to be the norm for the style.

hey kramer-
glad your diggin the tune. he is very influenced by southern rock.
i actually tried to get a lil bit away from that with the production style in hopes of making it a bit more accessible. as i mentioned before the production style for the song were doin now will be more true to the nature of the song. again thanks for takin the time. he'll be flattered.
"if you bump it, maybe they will come again" :)
wfaraoni-
thanks for checkin it out. i did about 16 mixes to finaly get this one. i dont know if thats high or not but its a bit high for me.
i knew what i was going for and i kept goin till i got it. man was i relieved when i listened to it the next day and it didnt suck! :)
take care,
garrett

Back