A Song for Holly

Perhaps the vox are a little too upfront.

Love all the sounds - and the vibes solo is fucking awesome.

You, sir, have quite a set of pipes on ya.

Thanks Casey!

Your response was exactly what I was probing ...

I actually first mixed the vocal -14db (digital) ... but on my headphones reference, it sounded like a whisper in the wind ... I couldn't hear it clear through the music bed.

On speakers, I thought it sounded square in the pocket.

... which is why listening on multiple sources is what HAS to be done, INCLUDING headphones as one of those said sources. There's stuff on phones I don't get from any other reference.

Ultimately, I brought the level up to -10db (digital) ... which sounded fully clear on phones, and strong out front through the monitors (I use 3 others), but I wondered if it might be too much.

I would LOVE others to check in on this particular point, as the more the opinions the merrier. (Thanks in advance!)

I believe though, Casey, that you're right. The perfect level probably falls somewhere in between.

Thanks bud!

Kev-

I gave it the volume test.
With it turned up in h/phones and then on home stereo speakers the vocals are uncomfortably loud. There's also a harshness in mid phrases that is accentuated by the vocal levels in the mix.
Casey's right - the solo played on the vibe (or is it vibe sample) is spot on.
Excellent work overall.

Thanks Ray! I like your test idea. That's sort of what I do too.

I actually play my mixes through cheap ass 10 year old JBL mini computer speakers ... the kind you can buy in the clearance section at CVS?

They suck just like they're supposed to, yet they give me invaluable information regarding how the vocal sounds and whether I've got enough bass coming through ... because they'll tell me immediately how off my levels are.

I guess we all have our tricks/procedures. Thanks for running my mix through yours.

There's something I'm uncertain of though --

You mention a harshness in "mid phrases" -- what's "mid phrases"? Where do you mean?

Appreciated!

Kev-

On the advice (as I interpreted it) of above, I "softened" the tonal quality of the vocal, as well as brought it down a few db in the mix.

Does it sound more in the pocket now? How's the tonal quality? Still harsh?

Thanks!

Oh, the vibe is me on keys ... I believe it's a Roland JV1010 ... or it could be a sample. I actually don't remember exactly.

Best,

Kev-

Very nice work Kev. Billy Joel meets Steely Dan meets Lee Ritenour?? :D Good tune, nice balance, Vibes indeed sound good and sound like a JV1010, which is a vastly under-rated synth. About the only thing I can think of would be a few background vox. Well done. :cool:

HEY David! Thanks for checking in, bud.

Yeah, our 1010s really, for the money, are an amazing value. I'm constantly using them for pads and other sounds you just can't find anywhere. Most of the bell pads and other synth sounds in this are the humble unit.

The strings and flute in the middle section though, are East/West Silver Edition Orchestra. They're great sounding, but are finicky and have to be used w/in their limitations properly to work right.

Appreciate the kind words! Hope all's well w/ you these days ..

Best,

Kev-

K....nice voice man. What else can I say....you can sing man. :D

I got nothing to say about the tune...it's nice, and that's that. Good sounds man....and well pieced together. :cool:

I know, bud ... it's not really your style of music, is it?

Therefore, I doubly appreciate the listen!

Kev-

Thanks Z!

The drums and bass parts are my favorite elements in this mix. Both are subtle and dead on.

Frank Basile, who is the actual performer for Session Drummer, the midi clips that are included w/ Sonar, is the live drummer on this recording.

The bass is performed by my favorite player on that instrument, some guy named Tjarko ... :D

He ALWAYS seems to nail it right ...

Kev-

Back