A song called everything

Yonce N Mild

Voice of Sanity
So we blew up our PA speakers and couldn't really practice so we decided to do a little recording. My brother picked up an new amp (fender devill 410) and finally bought a SM57 so it was a good chance to see how it sounds.
We recorded to some pre programmed drum tracks that we used for practice before we found a drummer. The drums synth and samples are all on one stereo track so I don't have much control over that.
I'm interested in hearing what you all think about the guitar sound since this is the first time I've ever miced and recorded an amp. The Bass is DI through a bass v-amp. The vocals are through my live rig Beta58 > TC Helicon Vocal correct (compression, pitch correction) > Vocal create (distortion, chorus).

The song is called everything it should play automatically. The other tracks on our page were recorded live with a little handheld tascam.

http://myspace.com/katetband

Here are the lyrics:

All the echoes in my head
All the things that I have said

This is everything

Everything and nothing more
What's behind and what's in store

This is everything

A change in season
The darkest night
A loss of reason
A blinding light
I might escape
I might survive
But no one makes it
Out alive

All the saints and all the whores
All the peace and all the war

This is everything

All the pleasure all the pain
All the lies deceit and shame

This is everything

This is everything I am
This is where it all began

This is everything

This is everything I am
This is where it all began

This is...........

Nothing at all

I think the guitars sound great! No nits from me....

The rest of the recording isn't too bad, save for the canned drums, really not bad at all.

Yep, I'm with Rokket. The guitars sound pretty good. Nice job for the first go 'round at recording an amp.

YEAH!!! Love the chord progressions. Solid playing too.

Canned drums or not, I think you can bring them up quite a bit and even get more energy out of the tune. The danger I see is in the "choruses"? the crashes may over power everything if you can't gain them separately. Hopefully they are alone on a track.

For an experiment, you may want to consider adding a little distortion to the voice with some delay maybe timed to 1/2 notes. I think this might glue the voice to the backing tracks, if that makes any sense.

I really think the tune rocks.

ac

I think the guitars sound great! No nits from me....

The rest of the recording isn't too bad, save for the canned drums, really not bad at all.

Yep, I'm with Rokket. The guitars sound pretty good. Nice job for the first go 'round at recording an amp.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I'm pretty happy with the guitars myself. I was surprised how easy it was to get these to sit right in the mix compared to my previous attempts using a V-Amp.
It was pretty cool how the sound changed so drastically depending on where I pointed the mic. I ended up close to the outside edge of the bottom right speaker angled a little bit and about 2 inches away from the grill.

YEAH!!! Love the chord progressions. Solid playing too.

Canned drums or not, I think you can bring them up quite a bit and even get more energy out of the tune. The danger I see is in the "choruses"? the crashes may over power everything if you can't gain them separately. Hopefully they are alone on a track.

For an experiment, you may want to consider adding a little distortion to the voice with some delay maybe timed to 1/2 notes. I think this might glue the voice to the backing tracks, if that makes any sense.

I really think the tune rocks.

ac

I'm glad you like it, thanks for taking the time to listen

I could probably get the drums as separate tracks those crashes are pretty loud they would definitely overpower everything if I turned them up. I don't know if I'll bother mixing the programmed drums or just work on tracking some live drums for it. That's an interesting idea about the delay, I just might give that a shot.

Any thoughts on the bass too much? too boomy?

Thanks again for listening everyone.

Back