An song from 92, jazz like.

Emeric

Recorded on an 8-track 1/2" tascam I used to have setup in the good old days. Not been able to upload recent material lately, so what the hell. Transfered a few too many times from cassette to dat to computer, back and forth. Anyway, the song is still there. Lead a little loud at times. Orginal song, usual guy on drums, another guy on bass, and me on guitars.

Any feedback appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Emeric

Emeric:

That is a very pleasant song. I dig your guitar playing. It's the kind of song that makes me want to hug my wife and kiss my dog...or vice versa. It sounds pretty good. Did you record the guitars direct?

I did notice something about the mix that could either be a result of going back in forth between cassette and ADAT or could be an mp3 encoding artifact. The mp3 sounds kinda "warbly?". I noticed this same condition on some mp3's that I converted at bitrates lower than 192kbps.

You should get some more recent stuff up here. I'm sure your playing has only gotten better in 7 years.

dmc

Instead of saving up for a studio to record my friend can I just bring him to Ottawa? ;) Its not that far from Minneapolis.
Nice drums. Nice guitar. Good construction.

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 12-23-1999).]

Really nice! Credible Pat Metheny sound. Thanks for sharing that tune with us. My only criticism is the background guitar doing some arpeggio thing should be louder underneath that lead. Like you can hear this line clearly at ~ 1:30, but from 2:50 on it was too quiet.

Thanks for the responses.

That warbly sound is indeed the cassette, it was in bad shape the last time I transferred it. The DAT copy I have was also transferred to from cassette which is less than ideal. I also ripped it from a CD copy, which did some strange things to it, anyone know a good ripper? I wish there was somewhere I could rent an 8-track around here... Ottawa sucks for that kind of thing -Bet you could in Minneapolis though .. :) The lead guitar was recorded direct, the rhythm was recorded with a miced fender twin, along with the drums and bass live.

The rhythm is a little low in parts, for some reason I pulled the fader way to fast at the start, either that or it's more cassette drop outs.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

Emeric

Wow. I was putting a cheesey mastering job on this acid/trance type thing and laying down tracks for a southern style fakey headcutting guitar duel type thing. Then I heard this. The song speaks for itself. No doubt about that.I suddenly feel the need for some intense woodshedding.
As a fellow guitarist, I appreciate and marvel at your chops. How much of the lead was planned vs how much was flow? You are definately a 'touch' guitarist. You guys have got to be cutting some songs or playing somewhere or something, right? Thanks for posting.

Did I hear the riff from Night Rangers' "Dont tell me you love me" in there???
Great playing... That guitar tone really cuts... That there ain't no POD.

The more I hear, the more reluctant I become about posting anything I've done...good stuff here...and certainly more competently recorded than the writer demos I do...maybe one day one of you people will post an mp3 that completely sucks so I won't be such a wuss about putting one up.....gibs

Crazyhorse: Up until the semi-quick scale thing at the end it's pretty much improvized. A lot of things (like the scale at the fade-out) I have to work out in advance, kinda sucks.. wish I could just rip away, but I fall down in that area.

Gibs: Post man.. It's the only way we can all give feedback and gain from each others different points of view.

S8-N, not familiar with that Night Ranger tune, but it's quite possible I sub-conciously ripped something off.. Someone else commented at the time that the melody riff sounded like some song, but I can't remember what it was. Thanks for the comments.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 12-24-1999).]

Back