Somewhere Behind Your Eyes

Everything sounds pretty well tracked to me. Some real violin, nice! The vocals are too upfront for my taste. They arent blending with the rest of the song at all. Very nice vocals regardless of mixing. You need to bring them down and you should start hearing them sit better with the mix. Really cool stuff. I feel like the violin may have been tuned just a little bit flat to the rest of the instruments but I'm not really sure if thats what I'm hearing. Really cool stuff ... keep mixing it, I would like to hear it again if you revised it. Keep me posted. :)

Everything sounds pretty well tracked to me. Some real violin, nice! The vocals are too upfront for my taste. They arent blending with the rest of the song at all. Very nice vocals regardless of mixing. You need to bring them down and you should start hearing them sit better with the mix. Really cool stuff. I feel like the violin may have been tuned just a little bit flat to the rest of the instruments but I'm not really sure if thats what I'm hearing. Really cool stuff ... keep mixing it, I would like to hear it again if you revised it. Keep me posted. :)

Thanks for your comments.

The violin is more probably played flat cos I'm quite new to fiddle. Or it could be the whistle cos I'm new to that was well.

I like vocals to be up front although I'd maybe bring them down a notch. What does everyone else think?

Thanks creep

There's just one fiddle but that's my favorite bit too.

Nothings been processed so the reverb on the acoustic is natural. I'll try micing a little closer next time and see how that sounds.

That's a second vote for the vocals being too loud. Do you think that they're too loud all the way or just in sections where I shout more. i.e. Will compressing the peaks be enough?

Thanks creep

There's just one fiddle but that's my favorite bit too.

Nothings been processed so the reverb on the acoustic is natural. I'll try micing a little closer next time and see how that sounds.

That's a second vote for the vocals being too loud. Do you think that they're too loud all the way or just in sections where I shout more. i.e. Will compressing the peaks be enough?

I think they have too much overall volume, compression for effect may sound nice though.

Just throwing my two cents in. I agree that the vox are a bit too loud. Throughout. Although after the fiddley, whistley little break they sound better - maybe there is more or louder instruments going on, bringing the level of the music and vox closer together. maybe. :confused:

Barn Owl;2723555I'm looking for comments on tracking and mixing suggestions for when I get round to it.[/QUOTE said:
Quite a touching song. I think the arrangement fits the song just right. Very good tone quality on the parts. Re levels, perhaps if the vocal came down a touch overall it would balance just right. Everything is exceptionally rhythmically tight, and kudos for that (well, except maybe the piano bits which are kind of loose). IMO the thing it really needs is to have is the intonation of the guitars that play the repeated 8th note figures and violin as accurate as their rhythmic performance.

So are you saying i actually need to play the god damn violin in tune!! Oh bugger. :eek:

The vocal will be made quieter in the final mix likely to be retaken anyway partly due to the consensus here that it's too loud.

Well spotted with the pianos that's copy and paste for you I copied the pianos for the first verse to the second forgetting that the chord structure had changed so it gets a bit off second half.

Thanks for your comments.

There seems to be an underlying buzzing noise in the background. It's most noticeable in the first section and at the end. The vocals in the second section seem to have a good level, except for the first few words, so mainly the first section vocals need adjusting down.

I like the song overall.... It has a nice catchy vibe to it. The combination of guitar, piano and whistle are great. The falsetto parts are cool - I've heard a few top 40 tunes using that technique and it works well here.

:):D:):D

There seems to be an underlying buzzing noise in the background. It's most noticeable in the first section and at the end. The vocals in the second section seem to have a good level, except for the first few words, so mainly the first section vocals need adjusting down.

I like the song overall.... It has a nice catchy vibe to it. The combination of guitar, piano and whistle are great. The falsetto parts are cool - I've heard a few top 40 tunes using that technique and it works well here.

:):D:):D

Funny I've listened to this 50 times and I've never heard the buzzing before. Thanks for pointing it out, i think it's a dodgy guitar cable.

i really like your voice. you irish? reminds me of damien rice.

and i think its a really good song. I think the instruments have to be more tight though, and the vocals are little thicker.

Back