Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Something or nothing?

Thanks

Something or nothing?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Sometimes when I try to write a song, I feel more like I'm just beating a bunch of chords to death, then wanking over them...

Here's the latest thing I'm working on. Sorry for the abrupt ending but I've mixed and posted enough to ask the following question: is this too predictable or even mechanical in it's arrangement and execution?

The lead guitar is just a scratch track--threw that on tonight so I could post the mix, but the rest of it's pretty close to the real deal.

(While the question I pose is more about writing/playing, feel free to comment on the tracking & mixing as well--good or bad--as again, except for the lead guitar, this is where I'm heading with it.)

Thanks for your time and opinions!

http://www.spottedmuse.com/files/testing_123.mp3

Thanks
    I'd say the only thing too predictable is the bass line - except where you go up the neck - because it's too close to the strum.
    The beginning seemed familiar but not predictable.
    The ending wasn't!
    In fact I like the progression and most of the arrangement.
    Oh, the lead line - being a quickie was - predictable to a degree but when you actually spend the time to work out something you really want I'd expect that to change.
    Keep going with this one!

Thanks
    There's nothing new under the sun is the old saying. Keep going with this. I liked where it was going.

Yeah, the lead was predictable, but it was nice...
    Instead of a Do Not Disturb Sign, I need one that says "Already Disturbed. Proceed With Caution".

Thanks
    I definitely hear something in the works there. Nice basic structure, and if you work on the melody line a little, it'll even have a nice hook. Right after that part where it ended, you may try a key change for a blistering solo. Coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Sounds okay to me. There's nothing wrong with comfortable and a little predictable. I like the crunchy breakdown part. The lead is a little to wanky for me, but good playing. Keep going with it.

Thanks
    Nice tone....both the acoustic and the lead. I like the arrangement and playing...and the sounds gel together pretty well.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    I'd say the only thing too predictable is the bass line - except where you go up the neck - because it's too close to the strum.
    The beginning seemed familiar but not predictable.
    The ending wasn't!
    In fact I like the progression and most of the arrangement.
    Oh, the lead line - being a quickie was - predictable to a degree but when you actually spend the time to work out something you really want I'd expect that to change.
    Keep going with this one!
    Thanks! Ahh the curse of the guitarist who thinks he can play bass. I think I'll go back and mute the guitars and play the bass part with just the drums--get more in the pocket with the kit instead of the strumming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokket View Post
    There's nothing new under the sun is the old saying. Keep going with this. I liked where it was going.

Yeah, the lead was predictable, but it was nice...
    Thanks Rokket. Yeah, I guess predictable's not necessarily bad--I'll keep going and work on the lead.

Thanks
    It wasn't that predictable to me because I expected it to sound like my song all the way through. Let's have a contest to see who can get famous with this chord progression first. Actually, I'm sure it's already been done.

Yours is the 4/4 acoustic version that I considered, but forced myself to record a 3/4 song.

http://www.bozrecords.com/mp3s/song6mixdown1master1.mp3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
    It wasn't that predictable to me because I expected it to sound like my song all the way through. Let's have a contest to see who can get famous with this chord progression first. Actually, I'm sure it's already been done.

Yours is the 4/4 acoustic version that I considered, but forced myself to record a 3/4 song.

http://www.bozrecords.com/mp3s/song6mixdown1master1.mp3
    Okay so we're both doing a I-V-IV with the tonic as a pedal tone--but I'm coming back up to the V before coming home and you're not. And when we get to the relative minors--well that's like a whole new zip code!

I guess what Rokket said is true--nothing new under the sun! (I don't have "natural pitch" but I'm guessing you're in E as well?)

Thread Information