Something or nothing?

Really nice guitar work the Mr Strat, better than I could have done-thats for sure!:o

Thanks man--but I've heard some things I'd like to learn from you...hey I'm headed down to Rend Lake tomorrow--maybe I'll bring a guitar and hunt you down! :cool:

Sounds good WS - the compression/tone sounds good. Bold with a tight bottom end...:cool:

Thank you sir--I appreciate it. The funny thing is I'd be just as happy with that as a description of myself: Bold with a tight bottom end--oh wait a minute...even typing that creeped me out...

Strat,
Really good quality recording on the acoustic. The MBC adds a great deal. The sustain of the first strummed chord of each measure is much larger in the post compression track. For some reason it sounds less digital and more 3-D. I really like the sound of that guitar. Sheesh the whole recording is good. Can't wait to hear the finished product. Hope you'll share it with us.

Strat...this is one soul touching, heart grabbing, most excellent expression of someone's gift entwined with their skill...

I have been listening pretty much all day and all of the night. I can't wait to hear it in it's entirety...there is going to be more right?...I hear a vocal melody...and I finally had to sing along with it...it was impossible not to...anyway, I recorded a little diddy with it a little bit ago, making up some words as I went..they make no sense..nor does my singing...:D

Anyway, if you are brave and wanna hear it, I can put the little clip up on soundclick long enough for you to download it...let me know...and hey, you won't hurt my feelings if you aren't hearing the same melody I do...;)

Everyone here knows I still can't record...so embarrassment evades me as the volume goes up and down in it...don't know why, but it does.

Strat,
Really good quality recording on the acoustic. The MBC adds a great deal. The sustain of the first strummed chord of each measure is much larger in the post compression track. For some reason it sounds less digital and more 3-D. I really like the sound of that guitar. Sheesh the whole recording is good. Can't wait to hear the finished product. Hope you'll share it with us.

Zero--

I appreciate that. And you're right about the MBC. I think some folks like to slap it on a whole (that's how I learned of its secret powers too) but it's especially valuable when used separately on each instrument.

I'll keep going with this one (instead of leaving it unfinished which is what I normally do!) and I'll post it as soon as it's complete.

Strat...this is one soul touching, heart grabbing, most excellent expression of someone's gift entwined with their skill...

I have been listening pretty much all day and all of the night. I can't wait to hear it in it's entirety...there is going to be more right?...I hear a vocal melody...and I finally had to sing along with it...it was impossible not to...anyway, I recorded a little diddy with it a little bit ago, making up some words as I went..they make no sense..nor does my singing...:D

Anyway, if you are brave and wanna hear it, I can put the little clip up on soundclick long enough for you to download it...let me know...and hey, you won't hurt my feelings if you aren't hearing the same melody I do...;)

Everyone here knows I still can't record...so embarrassment evades me as the volume goes up and down in it...don't know why, but it does.

Vocals are the forbidden frontier for me--and so I always cop out and "sing" with my guitar. Sometimes that's not bad, but sometimes a human voice and actual lyrics are called for. And I hear that for this one too.

So yes--I'd love to hear what you've done with it! Post it and tell me where it is--I'll grab it up!

Just thought of something: if you like, I can post a version without the lead guitar--just chord progressions everywhere. Then you could play with a vocal melody all over the place and see what you come up with. Let me know if you want me to--but I'm headed out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so I probably won't get to it until early next week.

Thanks for caring enough to sing along!

I like it!

I really like the song you're working on. For what it's worth, I agree with one of the other posters that it could use some sort of bridge part that takes the listener to different musical place. Maybe that's just the sort of predictability you're trying to avoid, but it's what my ear is kind of waiting for/wanting.

The sound is REALLY good. Thanks for the tips on recording acoustic. I have a martin small body that I really love the sound of. I'll have to try out what you suggest. Need one of those mics though.

I can just hear that you didn't spend quite as much time on the lead as the rest. How I wish my "scratch" tracks could sound as good.

Anyway, I definitely think "something", not "nothing"
Jeff

Vocals are the forbidden frontier for me--and so I always cop out and "sing" with my guitar. Sometimes that's not bad, but sometimes a human voice and actual lyrics are called for. And I hear that for this one too.

So yes--I'd love to hear what you've done with it! Post it and tell me where it is--I'll grab it up!

Just thought of something: if you like, I can post a version without the lead guitar--just chord progressions everywhere. Then you could play with a vocal melody all over the place and see what you come up with. Let me know if you want me to--but I'm headed out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so I probably won't get to it until early next week.

Thanks for caring enough to sing along!
Okay...here is the soundclick link...and remember...just an idea...and I had softened the the abrasiveness of my voice but every time I uploaded, the softer side was gone...so brace your ears!!!

And thank you for posting a great song to sing with...I would love to play with the vocals, if you think you would like my singing...AFTER you hear the ditty...so we'll play it by ear..but don't play it by my ear..it's tone deaf...:eek::D

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6790391

Okay...here is the soundclick link...and remember...just an idea...and I had softened the the abrasiveness of my voice but every time I uploaded, the softer side was gone...so brace your ears!!!

And thank you for posting a great song to sing with...I would love to play with the vocals, if you think you would like my singing...AFTER you hear the ditty...so we'll play it by ear..but don't play it by my ear..it's tone deaf...:eek::D

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6790391

Wow! Now you've got me in overdrive... I gotta figure out if I want this one to stay insrumental, or if I want a vocal--and if I decide for a vocal and write something--the job is yours!! I love it!

Thanks for that. I'll be chewing on ideas while I'm camping & fishing this weekend!

I really like the song you're working on. For what it's worth, I agree with one of the other posters that it could use some sort of bridge part that takes the listener to different musical place. Maybe that's just the sort of predictability you're trying to avoid, but it's what my ear is kind of waiting for/wanting.

The sound is REALLY good. Thanks for the tips on recording acoustic. I have a martin small body that I really love the sound of. I'll have to try out what you suggest. Need one of those mics though.

I can just hear that you didn't spend quite as much time on the lead as the rest. How I wish my "scratch" tracks could sound as good.

Anyway, I definitely think "something", not "nothing"
Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I like the idea of a "bridge"--in keeping with the 80's anthem style of the song, I'm getting ideas for some synths. I'll keep working on it and you get to recording that Martin!

Wow! Now you've got me in overdrive... I gotta figure out if I want this one to stay insrumental, or if I want a vocal--and if I decide for a vocal and write something--the job is yours!! I love it!

Thanks for that. I'll be chewing on ideas while I'm camping & fishing this weekend!
Okay Strat, let me know when you decide.

Thanks for the taking the time to listen to my idea for vocals...enjoy your weekend!

Back