Something new

slimcharles42

Hello folks. A new song here, the approach being similar to my other recent pieces. I've tried to veer away from some familiar patters I was falling into, so have mostly avoided any kind of percussion layers here. What I'd like to know is:

- overall, how does the mix sound? It was pretty muddy at first I think, so have spent a few sessions trying to rectify that.
- is it dynamic/interesting enough? I've tried to keep this sparser than previous songs I've worked on recently, and structurally it's not exactly conventional I suppose. But hoping it still retains enough ideas to keep you listening.
- any general thoughts on production/composition very much welcome.

If We Don't Scatter by Daniel Weismayr | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks all
x

That is actually really cool man! Not sure what genre that would be considered, but that part of what makes it cool...

I like the dynamics. I would consider a few changes but they would be minimal and not worth suggesting.

Well done!

A little on the bassy side, could be my 'phones though. Sounds pretty cool, cool sounds. Interesting 'helicopter' sounds. Bass sounds great at the 1:30 mark, nice tone. Nice touch on the piano near the end.

I'm not sure on the genre either, soundtrack-y I suppose. Not really sure what to suggest mix-wise here, again it does seem a little bassy, but still fine as is.

Sounds cool, nice work.

It's a cool piece but I do think it takes too long to get in motion. The opening is too long IMO only. After a long intro minute you begin to develop an interesting tonal sound stage and it goes to a second level of interest. Then......it seems as if you're going to take it to a third level of color and sound but it sort of never gets there. Now....I realize that these comments are just my musings.......and I'm not really giving you any solid suggestions..........just general feedback based on how I felt as I listened with my morning coffee. As I mentioned.....it's a cool piece for sure. Thanks for the listen.

Hey, thanks Jimmy - I appreciate the kind words :)
Apologies for the late reply!

---------- Update ----------

That is actually really cool man! Not sure what genre that would be considered, but that part of what makes it cool...

I like the dynamics. I would consider a few changes but they would be minimal and not worth suggesting.

Well done!

Hey, thanks Jimmy - I appreciate the kind words
Apologies for the late reply!

A little on the bassy side, could be my 'phones though. Sounds pretty cool, cool sounds. Interesting 'helicopter' sounds. Bass sounds great at the 1:30 mark, nice tone. Nice touch on the piano near the end.

I'm not sure on the genre either, soundtrack-y I suppose. Not really sure what to suggest mix-wise here, again it does seem a little bassy, but still fine as is.

Sounds cool, nice work.

Hey Johnny, thank you for the kind words. I'll take a look at the bass - it used to be a lot more bassy, definitely been struggling to tame the low end!

It's a cool piece but I do think it takes too long to get in motion. The opening is too long IMO only. After a long intro minute you begin to develop an interesting tonal sound stage and it goes to a second level of interest. Then......it seems as if you're going to take it to a third level of color and sound but it sort of never gets there. Now....I realize that these comments are just my musings.......and I'm not really giving you any solid suggestions..........just general feedback based on how I felt as I listened with my morning coffee. As I mentioned.....it's a cool piece for sure. Thanks for the listen.

Hi Mickster, thank you for the feedback - it's much appreciated. I think I get where you're coming from - to be honest, this song was a bit more of a conscious effort at something less 'showy', and more restrained. So I can see how it might come across almost as just a long intro! This is something I will bear in mind for future compositions. Cheers

Back