something kind of crunchy

How are the drums recorded? If you mic'd a kit, good job, but I'd like to hear them dominate the mix rather than the guitars.

Good tones on the guitars, but it sounds like the guitar player mixed this little snippet.

And of course, More Bass.

This is not really my genre, but it sounds great. Very tight performances all around. There's a bit of coldness to the sound that's hard to define. It all sounds a bit too sterile and "in the box," if that makes sense at all. (I'm talking very subtle here.) Maybe a tape emulation plug-in would help.

Other than that, like I said ... great job! :)

is there one that you would recommend?

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, of course!

The only two I've used were from T-RackS (IK Multimedia) and Waves, and I thought they were both great. I was given the full IK tape machine suite (four different machine emulations) for free, and it's the one I use the most. (However, I only use it for work. When I record my own stuff for fun, I use actual tape.) But the Waves J37 plug is really nice as well.

T-Racks
IK Multimedia - T-RackS Tape Machine Collection
(Don't buy these at Sweetwater. They sell each machine for $99. You can get all four direct from IK for $120.)

Waves Abbey Road J37
Waves Abbey Road Studios J37 Tape Plug-in | Sweetwater
(This one sells at Waves and Sweetwater for $30.)

I'm generally not a big fan of Waves, simply because I find their authorization process to be a pain. But the price is right in this case, and it does sound very nice.

it just sounds a little static! A real drummer sounds a little more lively that's all!
You have that under control with a few fills or something! Helpful is to discuss this with a drummer.

Leo from Germany ;)

Back