Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Something fairly mellow

Thanks

Something fairly mellow

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a pretty mellow piece. Looking for any mix comments - especially on the strings. Do they sound fairly real?

www.lightningmp3.com/upload/082707.mp3

Thanks.

Last edited by NL5; 09-06-2007 at 06:59.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thanks
    No, they really don't. They are missing that "hear thru it" thing. No dimension.

You could try some very short reverb, preferably something where you can adjust the volume of the early reflections, because they are what is going to mess up the sound.

Anyway, the strings just need something that makes them sound more real.

I think the bright timbre of the guitars compared to the dark nature of the voice doesn't mix so well. If I had a choice, I would try to take out a bit of that "sheen" on the acoustics. I would strap a 1176 across them too. Get a tad of pump will really make the acoustics start to bounce without chewing up headroom in the mix.

Thanks
    I think Ed nailed the mix issues pretty thoroughly.

I would only add that I liked the creativity of the song and the mix of instruments that you chose to put this together with.

I did have quite a bit of trouble trying to understand the words of the song, perhaps because of the darker voice coupled with other instruments fighting for space.

The playing of the acoustic guitar also bugged me a bit in a few spots where I wasn't sure if I just wasn't hip enough to dig what you were doing or if this was a simpler case of timing mistakes in the performance? Which is it?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Sounds pretty decent...the strings don't do it for me, but I would like the tune without them altogether, so I have no ideas on that. I think the vocals with just an acoustic would be fine...
    I like the voice, and the acoustic sounds pretty good.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Thanks guys!

I assume you guys are referring to the 12 string being too bright, the six string acoustic is fairly dark already.

Anybody else want to comment on the cellos? What about the "seagull" guitars? Are they working?
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thanks
    Maybe I am gullible ... but I think the strings are pretty persuading. It has a nice sound to me and I think it fits in the mix. When there's chords on the cello or whatever it is , it sounds a little better. I am always impressed by your production NL5. The singers voice is very low pitched so to my ears its sitting lower in the mix than I'm typically used to. Cool mix though, I like it. - Eric

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erockrazor View Post
    Maybe I am gullible ... but I think the strings are pretty persuading. It has a nice sound to me and I think it fits in the mix. When there's chords on the cello or whatever it is , it sounds a little better. I am always impressed by your production NL5. The singers voice is very low pitched so to my ears its sitting lower in the mix than I'm typically used to. Cool mix though, I like it. - Eric
    You're not gullible.

Anybody else wanna comment????

Thanks
    The intro strings sound off, but I'm not a string guy...DavidK is your man.... When the strings play during the vocal parts and are moving around the fretboard they sound plenty real. The long drones at the beginning just sound off to me (dry too???). The slides around 3:00 seem off key - minor distraction... The guitars sound good - especially the 12 string. It doesn't have that annoying upper octave ring that sometime comes off the g strings... The sound overall is super - very full, airy and smooth....

Thanks
    Thanks Idol

Thanks
    I thought it all sounded pretty good. If you just let it sit and say bugger it, that's it...I mean, it's not without it's charm. Maybe have a section where there's no strings, like the intro.
    I really...really...REALLY have no idea what I'm talking about...AT ALL.

Thread Information