Something fairly mellow

NL5

Unpossible!
This is a pretty mellow piece. Looking for any mix comments - especially on the strings. Do they sound fairly real?

Thanks.

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
No, they really don't. They are missing that "hear thru it" thing. No dimension.

You could try some very short reverb, preferably something where you can adjust the volume of the early reflections, because they are what is going to mess up the sound.

Anyway, the strings just need something that makes them sound more real.

I think the bright timbre of the guitars compared to the dark nature of the voice doesn't mix so well. If I had a choice, I would try to take out a bit of that "sheen" on the acoustics. I would strap a 1176 across them too. :) Get a tad of pump will really make the acoustics start to bounce without chewing up headroom in the mix.

I think Ed nailed the mix issues pretty thoroughly.

I would only add that I liked the creativity of the song and the mix of instruments that you chose to put this together with.

I did have quite a bit of trouble trying to understand the words of the song, perhaps because of the darker voice coupled with other instruments fighting for space.

The playing of the acoustic guitar also bugged me a bit in a few spots where I wasn't sure if I just wasn't hip enough to dig what you were doing or if this was a simpler case of timing mistakes in the performance? Which is it?

Cheers! :)

Sounds pretty decent...the strings don't do it for me, but I would like the tune without them altogether, so I have no ideas on that. I think the vocals with just an acoustic would be fine...:o
I like the voice, and the acoustic sounds pretty good.

Thanks guys!

I assume you guys are referring to the 12 string being too bright, the six string acoustic is fairly dark already.

Anybody else want to comment on the cellos? What about the "seagull" guitars? Are they working?

Maybe I am gullible ... but I think the strings are pretty persuading. It has a nice sound to me and I think it fits in the mix. When there's chords on the cello or whatever it is , it sounds a little better. I am always impressed by your production NL5. The singers voice is very low pitched so to my ears its sitting lower in the mix than I'm typically used to. Cool mix though, I like it. - Eric

Maybe I am gullible ... but I think the strings are pretty persuading. It has a nice sound to me and I think it fits in the mix. When there's chords on the cello or whatever it is , it sounds a little better. I am always impressed by your production NL5. The singers voice is very low pitched so to my ears its sitting lower in the mix than I'm typically used to. Cool mix though, I like it. - Eric

You're not gullible. :D

Anybody else wanna comment????

The intro strings sound off, but I'm not a string guy...DavidK is your man....:D When the strings play during the vocal parts and are moving around the fretboard they sound plenty real. The long drones at the beginning just sound off to me (dry too???). The slides around 3:00 seem off key - minor distraction... The guitars sound good - especially the 12 string. It doesn't have that annoying upper octave ring that sometime comes off the g strings... The sound overall is super - very full, airy and smooth.... :cool::D:cool::D

I thought it all sounded pretty good. If you just let it sit and say bugger it, that's it...I mean, it's not without it's charm. Maybe have a section where there's no strings, like the intro.

Cool stuff!
With the exception of one guitar part it all souds a little dry to me.
The vocals get just a tad under the mix in a few places (nice voice)
I just don't hear much depth in the mix it's pretty much all up front space wise except the one guitar way back behind everything.
If it was me I would track the yelled vocals being sung like the rest. The yell does not match the rest of the vocals or the music too me.

Nice recording and everything is there, but where;)

F.S.

i'm listening as I type:

1. The very second note that the guitar plays is out of tune...this is either because it's out of tune, or the chorus is too much that it bends it too far...

2. I like the sound of the strings....alot...

3. lead vocals could be more out front - maybe more reverb as well to add to the mellow feeling. this is vocals before minute 2.

4. the chord strums @ 2:00 still sound like that string is out of tune.

5. mix sounds good. I like the spread of the guitars and strings.

6. wow, what a moving piece! The vocals at 4 - i like the strained throaty almost scream...makes me want the hard guitars, drums and huge bass to come in and rock out!

great song. it's one of those that leaves you wanting a little more, but by the end, you're ok with it. Sort of like "Lightning crashes" by that bald headed guy's group in the 90s. towards the end you totally wanted them to just bust out and rock hard! (i think beavis and butthead had an episode where beavis complained about this). wait...what? you know, this is just my personal preferences and opinions...

ok...Beavis would like this one...me too!

cholo

Thanks too all that replied! :D

I am going to re-mix it with a bit more reverb added. I thought I had captured a pretty fair amount of room sound in all but the vocal tracks, and all the tracks have a pretty fair amount of verb added to them - but judging from most of the comments, I fell a bit short.

The cellos are actual cellos recorded in my large room that is pretty lively. They were miced at about 2 feet out, to capture a lot of the room sound. I wanted them to sound kind of "chamberey" - and yes, I know that's not a real word. :D Apparently, I fell short there as well. I thought the massive dynamics of the cellos, and the sligt timing and intonation problems would have given them away as real. Plus, you can hear the hair of the bow!

I will post a remix later today. I'm going to tone down the brightness on the twelve string just a bit, bump the vocal a bit, and increse the overall return level on the reverb.........

Well, I added a bunch of verb. Also found that the sends for the cellos were accidentally shut off - DOH! Fixed that, took a bit off the highs of the guitars, and bumped the vox up just a tad.

Better?

Thanks! :D

Hey.... It says file not found:confused:

You know how some of those mp3 hosting sites can be:D;) Always a pain:D

I was looking forward too it.

F.S.

I love the sound of the acoustics and also what they're playing. The strings sound good but fake. Well, the ones in the beginning do. Nice, wide stereo sound. Singer sounds kinda like the dude from Crash Test Dummies. :D

I think it sounds good.

I love the sound of the acoustics and also what they're playing. The strings sound good but fake. Well, the ones in the beginning do. Nice, wide stereo sound. Singer sounds kinda like the dude from Crash Test Dummies. :D

I think it sounds good.

Which version did you listen too?

Oops I didn't see the 2nd link. Strings sound a lot better now. :D

What kind of 12 string is that?

Listening now......

Sounding better. Vox are a bit boxy and buried in places worse in the begining. If you want to keep the vocals at that level for effect I think your going to have to add more hi's, say a hi shelf starting at 5k or so up a db or so, or a parametric with a medium Q at 5k. I'd also look at a very minor pulldown at 250hz to kill the boxyness. I'd high pass at 80 or 90 if you haven't, it might get a bit Esssy sort of have to ride the line. That's one reason using 5k up may be better than just 5 k. You may have to boost less with the high shelf.

I personally would seperate of the yelling portion of the vox to a seperate track for eqing and verbing.

Listening again....

Sure sounds more like it's taking place somewhere now. I like it. Now that distant guitar is more like he's with everyone else.

Well, I'd take care of the occasional boxyness in the vox and boost the hi's and automate a couple lines at the begining. May be able to leave the hi's alone if you automate the vox alot.

Sounding very cool!!

F.S.

Back