something different from me... acoustic/electric hybrid song

GONZO-X

it's called "TROUBLE".....

it's a somewhat fictitious song, about a woman doing a man wrong, and how he feels about it...

the original lyric used to say "and the next time i see her, i'm going to kill her".......

which, of course, is very politically incorrect.

it was supposed to be a "Hey Joe" kinda vibe.....

then i edited to the current version.....

now, i'm thinking of re-tracking it from scratch, and don't know whether or not to change the lyric back to the original.....

ideas?

can't offer much in the way of advice but i really dug the song

love the whole vibe of the thing , look forward to hearing more in the future

rock on

gary

I dug it man. I especially liked the vocals, in tune, and nice harmonies. I actually think the vocal could come out front more.
The 12 string riff sounds cool and clean. I can relate to the slide tone you chose. Dark and echoey. Fresh shit man. Stay the course.

This is a quality product. Very clean performance and interesting composition. As for the recording, my ears couldn't find anything to pick at, I liked everything.

I'm actually listening a 2nd time, if that tells you anything. I really like the liberal use of delay and verb on the vox. And the breaks throughout add a cool rhythm and groove to the song. I think I might steal that idea for my next song. What kinda guitar is the acoustic? Sounds sweet.

appreciate the listens......

jr#97-
thanks for listening....
i'm a journeyman slide player (which means, i suck)

gbav-
glad you dug it.....
any ideas on the lyric problem? or leave it alone....

firesole-
"fresh shit"...... LOL well, some have told me it sounds like something from the 70's...
kinda funny how it hits different people...
that 12 string, was a cheap-ass yamaha, and i was stringing it for a friend, started jamming on it, threw a mic up (a 57) and just started.... played the main riff, made up on the spot, and then went back and added all the other crap... wrote a quick lyric, had the whole thing done in 2 hours....
spent a couple of hours playing with the mix....

Rhythmschism
thanks for the critique...
i'm planning on re-doing it, but don't have access to a 12-string now, wonder if i could pull it off with a standard 6-string?

andyhix-
i've caught heat, for this mix being "too wet".....
:)
well, sometimes i just have to use some effects to an extreme, i record most everything else dry...
the only real effects were on the vox and slide....
that was a cheap yamaha 12-string.... a beater, that was on loan for a weekend.....

wow.. very good performance and mix.
The really like the song too. I wouldn't change anything. Vocals are great, you sound like you mean it ;), nice harmonies.
The clap is kinda cool too..

Dont have anything new to add to the above comments so it's pretty much a Me too post. :)
Sounds really good to me as well!

diver-
thanks for checking it out.....

laynestaley-
makes me sad, everytime i read your sig.....
i dug layne...

anyway, thanks for listening....

tiny-
again, thanks for listening.....

does anyone have an opinion about the lyric problem?
i just can't decide....

I like this mix and arrangement, really cool imagery. The vocals were very good, just not quite front enough for me. After the bridge, the 2nd verse vocal gets pushed over a little by the guitars, just a tad.

toki987-
yeah, i totally agree with you on the vocal mix issues.
you guys have good ears....
this mix is on cassette (now hardrive) as only 2 track now, so i will have to re-record from scratch.

the hardest part, will be finding a shitty sounding 12-string!!

reel buzzer-
thanks for checking it out...
man, saturday morning cartoons will get you in the mood....... LOL

:D

Since its locked in at 2 track,if you have access to a multiband compressor you possibly could slip in there and grab the primary vocal area and lift it a tad, or use a pm EQ and pull em out a tad.

I really like it. very well put together, great guitar work and extras as well. I wish you wouldn't have said anything about the lyric, cause now i have an opinion on it, where as if i didn't think about it i might not. so here is the opinion........I don't think I would "tell her", or "kill her", but i would work off the "put her down, down in the ground/Kill her" theme. Make her pay for what she did, but not so literal as "Kill". Great song!!!

I agree with all the praise, great job. Good dynamics. I agree with Toki; I think the vox and 12-string are fighting for the same frequencies at times. Also, all that reverb and delay pushes the vox back; I like those effects on this song but I do think they are overdone.

It's hard to say whether the alternative lyrics would be better, not having heard them, but I would give them a try. Don't censor yourself; be outrageous; that's likely to make the lyrics more memorable ... this song could even be commercial :eek:

TOKI987-
that'd be a good excercise, just to play with the multiband...
i've got a basic 3-band compressor..... and 4 band parametric as well....

kingsooper-
hm... food for thought....
i hadn't really thought about another lyric approach... wow, you guys are coming up with some great ideas.....
thanks for chiming in.....

LI_Slim-
that 12 string, was really boomy....
and i had to move around til i got the least amount of boom, and the most clarity..
and i still didn't get it right...
it really did start with the acoustic, it really is a bottom-line yamaha, and it sounds it....
so, it does make sense, what's happening with the vocals and guitars fighting each other......

when i re-track this, i'll see if i can borrow a 12 stringer that is voiced right, something that complements, and then back off the effects as well.....

Back