Something different

sikter

Hello guys!
Here comes my second work. I called it Room No 52.
It is something different and I need some help to finish it. Lyrics are not in english but that is just another love story.
I played and recorded everything by myself. Some other guy (who I never saw in my life) did singing, recorded vocals and he sent the files to me via internet.
DRUMS are not recorded yet. I’ll do it when I decide how to arrange the finale version. There is something wrong with vocal timing at end of the song. I’ll fix it next time.

Please, tell me what do you think!

http://home.online.no/~eldg/roomno52.cfm

I like it, vocals are pretty good although a little pitchy at times. Perhaps back off on the reverb just a touch. Love the strings. I would have liked to have heard a bigger and brighter piano sound, particularly in the chorus. Very tasteful lead guitar solo there, nice tone too. Overall, sounds pretty good to my ears, the more accomplished and experienced peeps here will be able to tell you more than me. Nice work. :)

Timothy Lawler said:
I'm getting an error message when I try to download.

Tim

Hello Tim!
I don't think it's possible to download file but it starts automatically on internal media player on the linked page.

I did not think about it but maybe this page is not readable by all systems.

I sent mp3 to your e mail address. I hope you don't mind.
Need some help with structure of the song and off course with mix.
I am not satisfied with beginning, theme without drums in the middle, and the ending of the song.
Thanks

Humbucker said:
I like it, vocals are pretty good although a little pitchy at times. Perhaps back off on the reverb just a touch. Love the strings. I would have liked to have heard a bigger and brighter piano sound, particularly in the chorus. Very tasteful lead guitar solo there, nice tone too. Overall, sounds pretty good to my ears, the more accomplished and experienced peeps here will be able to tell you more than me. Nice work. :)

Thank you Humbucker!
I totally agree about reverb on vocals. I'm still trying to get know this guy and his voice. I believe a big deal in his abilities and I'll try to keep our collaboration for a long time.

See you!

sikter
The 1st synth sample is very cardboard. the arrangement is fine but the sample is poor. You need to separate the diff strings lines more clearly in the panning.
Up the piano esp the mids.
The drums come in a little limply.
Vocals seem fine though the harmony voc. is pretty muddy.
The 1st guitar solo is only so so. the build to the choruses are quite weak. Pump something up in there to fill it.
The 2nd gtr solo is better though the synth solos after it still has a poor sample.
The timing on the out isn't so bad.
Substitute a diff sample, make a few changes in the levels & you'll be moving along.
Cheers
rayC

rayc said:
sikter
The 1st synth sample is very cardboard. the arrangement is fine but the sample is poor. You need to separate the diff strings lines more clearly in the panning.
Up the piano esp the mids.
The drums come in a little limply.
Vocals seem fine though the harmony voc. is pretty muddy.
The 1st guitar solo is only so so. the build to the choruses are quite weak. Pump something up in there to fill it.
The 2nd gtr solo is better though the synth solos after it still has a poor sample.
The timing on the out isn't so bad.
Substitute a diff sample, make a few changes in the levels & you'll be moving along.
Cheers
rayC
This is what I needed!
Thank you! Thank you a lot!
Do you have any instruction how to improve sound of my synthesizer?
I did not do any effects by software yet.
I just recorded it directly as a stereo track. (Korg M1, low budget equipment etc) I never do midi.

The drum track is used just as metronome. It will be replaced anyway.
thanks again
see you

OK, it's working now (dead page link before). Vox and synths are very nicely done IMO, and the mix puts them in the same soundstage - with lots of verb and drama. Guitars sound good, and fit the mix's room sound but I'd bring them just a little closer to center, maybe 10 and 2 o'clock instead of being nearer the far edges of the stage. Snare sounds like it's in a different room altogether than the rest with a more direct close sound, as does the bass to some extent, and could add more to the mix with some work on its ambiance. Main vocal is frequently out of tune but he's obviously a good singer... maybe a little retracking would be worthwhile or a little autotune. When the drums first come in they're not tight with the piano that's punching out the chords on the beats.

This could be really good with real drums and a few vocal fixes.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
OK, it's working now (dead page link before). Vox and synths are very nicely done IMO, and the mix puts them in the same soundstage - with lots of verb and drama. Guitars sound good, and fit the mix's room sound but I'd bring them just a little closer to center, maybe 10 and 2 o'clock instead of being nearer the far edges of the stage. Snare sounds like it's in a different room altogether than the rest with a more direct close sound, as does the bass to some extent, and could add more to the mix with some work on its ambiance. Main vocal is frequently out of tune but he's obviously a good singer... maybe a little retracking would be worthwhile or a little autotune. When the drums first come in they're not tight with the piano that's punching out the chords on the beats.

This could be really good with real drums and a few vocal fixes.

Tim
Thank you Tim!
This is a BIG, BIG help! I feel that those precise directions will take me long.
I really appreciate every single word you wrote.

Back