Something a bit different.

Hey, the Australian mp3.com is cool, a bit different, a bit looser, more relaxed, but the download went smoothly.
plenty of volume on this track, .... and so we dance ... at 0:40, pleasant sounding melodic instrument, the raspy thing coming in now ... I would look for some more subtle panning issues here, perhaps clone some tracks and run them 4%R and 4%L just to create a larger stereo field, and I hear the softer things on the edges ... soft things on the edges you can move about ever so slightly within a 3-5% area, makes it more floaty mon ... but don't abuse that.

2:22 ... this build up, you can pan from a wider stance into the middle, and this is very, very effective ... you can start wide and pan us into the middle as the buildup occurs, but not all the way into the middle, keep us hanging a bit.

By 3:00 ... everything has been happening in the middle, and I like what you are doing ... batman at 3:20 ... superheroes !

You could make some money writing for video games, and be a professional soundcrafter ...

Ahhhh ... I'm in a TRANCE ... yes ... that's what it's about ...

At 4:15, smooth mix, nothing leaping out and saying 'that's wrong' or 'no don't do that there' ... mix is good ... by 4:47, I would modify the space invader thing, with panning, or EQ ... just something to give us a change ... When repeating the same sound for longer periods of time, change it gently and subtly with EQ, or manipulate the verb, or something

5:21 ... cool

Thanks for the nifty piece of music.

Thankyou for the great feedback studioviols, I'm chuffed you liked it :)

When you mentioned panning from wide, into the centre, were you refering to altering the sterio width, via a sutractive effect?

I don't have much experience in creating sterio width, so I'd love to hear what you meant by that, in more detailed terms :)

Ok. Let's build a scenario where we have :

If we have on stereo track, we might say we have the choice to pan it up to 100 'notches' to the left or 100 notches to the right, we'll express that as a percent.

----------------------------------
If I have one mono guitar track, and I clone that track, so that I have two of exactly the same, I could pan GuitarTrack_1A 100% left and it would be like 'real low' in the left stereo field.

If I then pan GuitarTrack_1B 100% right, I then have a stereo filed that presents the instruments as wide as possible, I maximize the 'apparent stereo field'.
--------------------------------

If I set GuitarTrack_1A to center, and GuitarTrack_1B to center, I am really just increasing the volume, it is really then a mono track panned to center.

---------------------------------

Now If I pan GuitarTrack_1A 8% Left, and GuitarTrack_1B 8% right ... I have a stereo field at that point that is quite narrow, but seems to be more full ... more 'live' and 'real' ... that assists us in seperating the chanell, and your body and brain have two chanells, just like your mixer.

The human body is a stereo analog mixer. 100% left pan, and then 100% right pan ... sounds un-natural ... and that can be good ... it's a 'panning effect' ... but we don't really hear that way.

I think everyone has a certain 'stereo peripheral range' that is unique to them.

Just like our eyes are set further or closer apart ... so are our ears ...

You may really, really like 11%Left and 11%Right ... that may sound so full, so lush, so groovy and another person may just hate it ...

So use 4 tracks of the same material ...

Pan Track_1A - 8%L - Volume at -3db
Pan Track_1B - 8%R - Volume at -3db
Pan Track_1C - 23%L - Volume at -3db
Pan Track_1D - 23%R - Volume at -3db

Now remember, all of these are the same track ...

Try 'stacking' tracks, from the bottom of the right stereo field to the top ... make the exterior tracks softer, and the tracks get louder as they come to center ...

Do the opposite, make the ends of the flower petals heavy, and the center light and powdery ...

experiment with automatic panning, automated panning to move elements that are 'far out in the stereo field' inward ... and automate the volme to become less the closer they get to the center ...

Like a vortex ... or a shutter on a camera ...

Have fun ... rock on Mr. Trancer

Fantasic stuff, thankyou! I loved the metaphors you used too.

I'm going to eperiment with this in a big way..

For example, for each "angle" in the sterio arc, I could adjust the eq or put subtle insert effects, getting more extreme towards the ends of the petals :)

I could create different instances of the same synth, and run (for example) 8 at a time, with each one taking up a differnet part in the field, thus giving each angle it's own little analog synthesis imperfections :)

etc, etc :)

-Andrew.

(first, and last bump!)

Hey guys.. just wondering if anyone else had any feedback on this track. I don't mind if trance isn't your thing. Any feedback would be most appreciated!

-Andrew.

Ya know how those sea anemonoe sway in the 'ocean breeze' at the bottom of the sea.

You can automate the pan of each of 8 cloned tracks, to pan each of those tracks a gentle 2%R and then 2% left, sort of like a focused leslie effect.

all the same track, with subtle EQ touches to give them just a hint of different character, like the arms of the anemonoe ...

Back