Someone Else's Mind....

It's all guitar, bass, drums and voice through the little Avantone. Great balance. Okay, hang on...

Avantone off, monitors on...

...yeah, much better. You know something interesting? The vocal was a bit too forward on the Avantone, but it's absolutely perfect through the monitors. Good sound, well-mixed. If you ever give this one to an ME, find one who's willing to dialogue. More fun that way.

My way of telling you I think it's at that stage.

It's all guitar, bass, drums and voice through the little Avantone. Great balance. Okay, hang on...

Avantone off, monitors on...

...yeah, much better. You know something interesting? The vocal was a bit too forward on the Avantone, but it's absolutely perfect through the monitors. Good sound, well-mixed. If you ever give this one to an ME, find one who's willing to dialogue. More fun that way.

My way of telling you I think it's at that stage.
Thanx Dobrother.

I hope it's all guitar, bass, drums, and voice. That's all there is. :D

I don't see myself ever sending my stuff to a ME. I like "Shmastering" my own stuff. :)

The tune rocks, great lead vocal (and harmonies), and the guitars sound great too. The only thing that stuck out to me was the snare. It sounded a little too dry (possibly) and dull compared to the rest of the instruments. It seems to be mostly body with not enough snare sound. That's just my opinion, but it doesn't seem to have the life that the rest of the instruments do.

Otherwise, it was a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing! :)

The tune rocks, great lead vocal (and harmonies), and the guitars sound great too. The only thing that stuck out to me was the snare. It sounded a little too dry (possibly) and dull compared to the rest of the instruments. It seems to be mostly body with not enough snare sound. That's just my opinion, but it doesn't seem to have the life that the rest of the instruments do.

Otherwise, it was a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing! :)
Thanx a lot, Famous.

Yeah, this is only the 2nd song I've done with this snare, it's almost brand new. I still haven't dialed it in well yet. I'm trying to get it right without having to mic the bottom. I should be able to, but I'm still working on it. Thanx dude. :)

Rami, have you ever tried a 'wurst' mic in your array?

Believe it or not, I tried that a few years ago. Not for me. It sounds good on paper, but it didn't work for me at all. Neither did room mics. I probably just don't have the right room for room mics. For this "wurst one mic" idea, all it made me do is lose the separation I tried so hard to get with my overheads. The more you turn this mic up, the more mono your drums become. Not always a bad thing, but not what I'm trying to do 99% of the time.

By the way, this guys drum's sound like puke. He should probably spend more time just trying to get a good drum sound, and less time thinking of ideas that he can make Youtube videos about. I like his personality, though. He seems like a fun guy. He should host a game show.:)

Anyway, you don't like the wurst technique, and that's fine. But the thing about it pushing the drum sound in a mono direction - it's a mono track, so yeah it would do that - but the wurst thing is to add a new type of sound to the drums, right? For people who use it, the effect on the stereo image is incidental. Plus, it would depend how high you mixed the level, right?

Anyway, you don't like the wurst technique, and that's fine. But the thing about it pushing the drum sound in a mono direction - it's a mono track, so yeah it would do that - but the wurst thing is to add a new type of sound to the drums, right? For people who use it, the effect on the stereo image is incidental. Plus, it would depend how high you mixed the level, right?
Like I said, the louder you bring that track up, the more mono it gets. If someone doesn't care about that, fine. Personally, I spend a lot of time getting my overheads right. I don't want to ruin all that work by putting up some gimmicky mic just for a "different" sound. I'm pretty sure that most people that adhere to this Youtube "technique" are just hiding behind the fact that they can't get a decent drum sound without using stupid human tricks that they saw on the internet. That includes the guy that made the video. I can see why he feels a need to use this trick. His drums sound like total shit. Like I said, if it works for someone else, awesome. Personally, I find it useless.

What I like about hearing a new Rami tune is that it reminds me how far you have come. I remember the first tracks I heard from you over 10 years ago and now it is obvious how far you have come. Twin guitars, guitar battles, time signatures, et al. Amazing. I still think you are one of the most talented people I have ever known. Why you aren't famous is beyond me. You need a manager. If I was closer, I'd do it. But first, they'd never let me outta the U.S. let alone Michigan, and if they did, I'm not so sure Canada would let me IN! hahaha

Don't worry about the ess thing. The way the song is written and the way it is sung tends to make them sound a little more obvious than they need to be. They're fine. I like everything about this one, as usual.

Rami - you consistently amaze me with the quality of your songs and performance. I know I've come late to this party, but I hear no sibilance nor any other issues. In terms of references, I guess for me I hear some Lynyrd Skynyrd, especially in the guitar work. As usual, good job. Thanks for sharing.

What I like about hearing a new Rami tune is that it reminds me how far you have come. I remember the first tracks I heard from you over 10 years ago and now it is obvious how far you have come. Twin guitars, guitar battles, time signatures, et al. Amazing. I still think you are one of the most talented people I have ever known. Why you aren't famous is beyond me. You need a manager. If I was closer, I'd do it. But first, they'd never let me outta the U.S. let alone Michigan, and if they did, I'm not so sure Canada would let me IN! hahaha

Don't worry about the ess thing. The way the song is written and the way it is sung tends to make them sound a little more obvious than they need to be. They're fine. I like everything about this one, as usual.
Thanx a million, man. I really appreciate that. Wow! 10 years ago, I was working with a TASCAM 788 (8 track), after moving up from a 4 track. Yeah, I think we've all come a long way. Everything I'm able to do now, I had in my head then. I just wasn't able to convey it until I learned how to record and mix. Thanx a lot, Jeff.

Rami - you consistently amaze me with the quality of your songs and performance. I know I've come late to this party, but I hear no sibilance nor any other issues. In terms of references, I guess for me I hear some Lynyrd Skynyrd, especially in the guitar work. As usual, good job. Thanks for sharing.
Wow man! That's awesome. I appreciate that a lot. :cool:

Probably doesn't matter, but I'll mention it anyway. The guitar solo, which sounds like 3 different solos, was actually recorded as one solo. I then split it up and panned the different sections to make it sound like 3 guitar players answering each other. But it's actually a one-take solo that I chopped up and panned. :)

Just listening to this one now. Yeah, there's some SSSs in places, but only really noticeable when you've got the 4 voices at once in the chorus, specifically on someone elSe'S mind. I think the lead vocal could come up just a touch on the verses

Just listening to this one now. Yeah, there's some SSSs in places, but only really noticeable when you've got the 4 voices at once in the chorus, specifically on someone elSe'S mind. I think the lead vocal could come up just a touch on the verses
Thanx man. Got to turn up the vocals? Damn, I hate reading that. :eek: :D

Back