some weed and inexpensive equipment (in 1980)

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
ok...thought I'd put some "old" material (1980) up here for your perusal...
This was recorded on a Teac a3340s 4 track reel to reel and mixed to a Tascam 22-2 half track r to r. This is also before I owned any digital equipment and the mixer was a cheapie Peavey 1200s (circa early 70's) monster with a spring reverb. The delays are tape recorder slap backs, and the [cheezy] drum machine was an Oberheim DX (I think that was the model number). Look past the drum programming however, as at the time, we were just freaking that a drum box could do such a thing:D
Now I am going out on a limb here....but I think this shows you can get decent results with crappy old gear.....OR..my ear still sucks and my recording techniques haven't evolved over the last 20 years or so. Now this isn't any commercial release, by any means, but I think it "kicks" a little in its own right, and makes a point about *gear lusting.* I own equipment now that I would have never dreamed owning back in 1980 (and earlier). These old reel to reels are always on Ebay for <$200 and you CAN'T give these old Peavey mixers away now...so....ya gotta have a C1, mackie pres, lexi verbs, RNC compressor...?....for home stuff..?..maybe..maybe not.;)
oh yeah...I did run this thru a Waves L1 to boost things up a bit..but that's it for current technology.

PS....dis 'was b'fore rap too....an' I'm a white boy:D
PPS...written/recorded in one night, half bag of weed, one of 20 songs in a short period of time.

Hot Shot: at----->
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/9/1322/singles.shtml

I am hearing a little 'distortion' on the track, upon playing back the mp3...so I realize that's there too:)

It's funny you should just put this up. I was just re-listening to some old stuff I did on reel to reel and also cassette 8 track just a few days ago and was thinking it wasn't that bad (except that the tunes were a little dated). The recording sounds damn good. If you don't mind sharing your thread, I could post some of my antediluvian mixes if any one's interested as to what you can do with a Peavey mixer, a reel to reel and/or a cassette multitrack.

Track Rat said:
If you don't mind sharing your thread, I could post some of my antediluvian mixes if any one's interested as to what you can do with a Peavey mixer, a reel to reel and/or a cassette multitrack.

hey...go for it, Track...but leave out those fancy words, huh?:p

Hey...not that I'm not trying to up the post count now...or stay at the top of the page...:rolleyes: ...

but, Hey Track....I got THIS old Peavey mixer from Slocum....maybe you bought his OTHER old one!!. I used to have two, 12 channel Peaveys. Looked like a friggin power house of a mixer setup at the time too...all sloped fronts, big faders....over 5 feet long....ah.....all in the basement......
I even opened 'em up, put all direct outs on the channels, all that groovy stuff...

Hey man.......pass that thing over here....ppppffffffft.......ear...ear...take it....:cool:

AHHHH!!!!! I NEED C1, RNC and MACKIE! hehe. just kiddin...pretty cool. Kinda sounds like a B-Side from The Rocky Horror Picture show :)

I have some reel to reel stuff from my HS days that still sounds pretty cool I think. not as good as this though.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh........the power and fatness of analog.
We all have digital gear,and we thought it would change everything from clarity of mix to our PH balance....yet we usually end up spending $$ to get something tubular and analog to fatten up those lifeless digital tracks.
Bravo.:D

Check out "My Old School". This is a band I recorded live to two track doing a Steely Dan cover on a Teac A7010 reel to reel about a hundred years ago. Electricty hadn't been invented yet which made the recording challenging. Tracked thru a Peavey MD-16 mixer and all the mics were various makes and models. The two best mics were a pair of Tascam PE-80's I used as drum overheads.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/8/1331/singles.shtml

Last edited:
Interesting cover...of the Steely Dan. pretty good actually... who was the band?..in St. louis?? Do I hear some breathing from a compressed mix...or is that the delay on the gtr?

I'm actually a Leslie West fan, more...and appreciated the "ride" much more...nice gtr and "swirly keys"....who's singing and playing??..you?

Yea, that was a St. Louis band called Trilogy. No compression on the track, I didn't own one then.
I'm not even sure why I put the Mountain tune up. I remembered a thread where folks were doing covers and it sounded like fun. I'm playing all instruments and vocals on it.

haha.. you're a sucker for that guitar-sound I take it... :D :D :D 22 years and nothing's changed... :p :p

cool song.. vvvery intense. nice balanced mix. :)

mixmkr said:
ok...thought I'd put some "old" material (1980) up here for your perusal...

PS....dis 'was b'fore rap too....an' I'm a white boy
PPS...written/recorded in one night, half bag of weed, one of 20 songs in a short period of time.

mixmkr,

It is very obvious your a white boy. ;)
Second, when you say half bag of weed, did you mean half a pound? :)

But seriously, cool. nice high vocals. The recording is very good for 1980. Man, I was only 9 then. Like your other stuff I've heard, very cool. You were ahead of your time. :)

peace.

Back