some more mixing homework

Toki987

Rock Steady
this is kinda where i'm headed using this Tascam board. This aint a real tune, jus some BS I threw together, and it aint tight either, just thrown down real quick.. I just wanted to stick it out there for some feedback on the clarity (Sam) and see if it has enough ass in it (TR) and anybody else is most welcome to slice it as well.. I been trying some eq and envelope techniques on some stuff that Dach shared with me. Theres a couple of little snaps at the start from me slammin the bass compressor. anyways, I`d appreciate yall rippin me a new one on this. Tell me if I need to back up and punt, or keep headin this way...
thanks yall :)

blu1 http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2054/singles

Last edited:
toki,

stream isn't working well.....downloading..........alright, there we go.........

alright, i'm usually not overly picky, but you asked for it right?:D

the bass has plenty of ass, but the tone is kind of bothering me.............the bass could and should be the center of the tune......the tone sounds like it is being played underwater on extremely dead strings:D does that make sense? the playing is great....just try to clean up the tone a bit for a little more definition......too round for where it sits in the mix

how do you clean it up? i have no idea........i'm such an ass, i give suggestions, but offer no ways to fix it..........

powderfinger;

lol, your right about them strings. I put em on that particular bass when my daughter was 13 to give her bass lessons on. She`s 19 now and its the same strings. I`ll be using another bass on most the real tunes. I just love playing that jazz bass though. thanks. :)

wfaraoni; its all cool. I appreciate you listening friend.. :)

it doesn't sound bad by any means, but there is definitely a lack of brightness to it.. it kinda has a 4-track cassette sound to me.. not bad because it's warm and not harsh at all, but it lacks some fidelity.. maybe participant can give you some specific e.q suggestions.. I can only say it sounds like it needs more mid-highs..

cool groove..

It sounds pretty good to me.

The only things I might offer are that the overall level of the mix is just a tad low. And it might help to get opinions on a mix with vocals.

But I didn't think the thing sounded too bad.

Hey man. I can't even program a click track, so take this for what it's worth.

First, your comment about the 6 yr. old strings made me laugh my ass off. Secondly, I think Powderfinger nailed it when he said the bass sounds like it's being played underwater...it almost sounds like an effect. I turned this up REALLY LOUD and the bass tightens up at high volumes...holds together really well. I don't think it's an EQ issue...it's a tone issue...(although I realize they're related, lol). I just think your original sound needs to be cleaner maybe, but I'm getting ZERO distortion/mud. Ass is in good shape, lol. (I've never said that to another man).

Okay, since you didn't pour your heart and soul into this coming up with instrument choices, I'll say the following: I don't like that midi sounding horn thing at all...I know you didn't ask about that, lol...but I couldn't leave without dissing the horns. :D :D

B Sabbath;

yup, i treated my room and can hear the mids and highs much better now than before, I probably overcompensated to much when i was mixing it to stereo. I`ll have that squared away in a day or so. I still got some work to do with the bass end too, I found that my desk is acting like a transducer so i need to trap some more bass and foam the bottom of the desktop. As well as getting my ears used to the newness.

TripleM;
thanks for listening. I didnt burn it very hot. I was in a little too much of a hurry and just did a fast mix, ran it thru sound forge, and made the mp3. Normally I would have it so hot it would be clipping.

chrissharris;
yup, even the d string had some rust on it, i didnt have a fresh 4 string set here so just wiped it with wd-40 to get rid of the ruff spots :) Actually I spent very little time bass eq, I just picked it up and played it one take. I`ll be posting a real tune and these issues hopefully will all be adressed well before I post. thanks.
What? you dont like that "brass kazoo ensemble"? hahahah

Ken's a pocket player

I'm diggin the the tone ya got here. Listened at low volume, and cranked it also. Maybe the bass is a tad out front without hearing any vocals or other insterments involved. What pre are you using on the bass? Oh yeah, "keep headin this way"...

I appreciate yall listening to that crap. I reposted it without messing with it in sound forge. I think i`m screwing around in sound forge too much and losing the edge. I just turned it up the raw wav on this cut and brightened it a little and sent it to mp3 without trying to edit it in SF. I feel sorta guilty puttin this stuff up here to torment yall, but I need some ears besides mine. Again, this is not a song and I`m not trying to play it well, just tossed together to play with mixing. Much appreciated.... Ken

blu3 http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2054/singles

p.s. David, thats just an ART levelar.

Toki,

I like this little ditty....the bass works for me in the first but its hard to tell when its not in the context of the whole mix......

all in all, you got a cool groove going on (again)......

i say the title for this is:

"Brass Kazoo Ensemble Blues"

Okay, good music. I like the punch of the drums and the bass. Nice throb.

This song's all bass and drums though. The horn-y keyboard and the piano-y keyboard are way in the background. You need to balance things a bit more.

Second, like Black Sabbath said, it's a really dark sound - for one thing, it's so bass heavy. But a little bit of third and fourth octave electric guitar would remedy that a bit... :D

Good drinking music.

That is a nice clean recording.. The bass has a good punch/pop and the drums are ok.. I would like to hear more of the horns..

As for the recording I think you have a great, clear recording..

Keep it up!

Back