Some intense metal!

Mistral

RyosaMusic
I've received comparisons on this song everything from Dream Theater to Children of Bodom and In Flames. Let me know what ya think.

I am personally really happy with how the production came out.. probably my best yet.

Sweet song man, I love it. It sounds like something Children of Bodom, Kalmah, or Norther would produce :). What kind of setup are you using?

I love Kalmah.. definitely had an influence on this. However I didn't figure anyone here would ever know who they were lol.

Norther's pretty good. Eternal Tears of Sorrow is my favorite in the genre, they are the band Kalmah formed from.

Nice to see a fellow fan.

Setup is very minimal til I get some gear here in Sweden, moved from Canada recently. Did this entirely with a v-amp and my pc in Sonar & Adobe Audition. Drums are made with Drumkit From Hell.

Badass man. I'm wondering how you got your guitar to sound so professional - I'm guessing it's the V-AMP? Everytime I record, my distortion is way too much and it doesn't have the hard metal sound that you were able to create with this song. Also, what kind of sound card are you using? Once again, awesome song. It kicks ass.

well I think getting a pro sound always begins with the guitar, but it is all about dialing in the right tone with the v-amp mostly in this case.. a good distortion isn't necessarily one that's cranked, I usually choose just enough to get the job done. you want to be able to hear the notes you're playing when you hit a chord, rather than a lot of fuzz. believe me the card I used is nothing special, just a soundblaster live!

so you can imagine I cannot wait to get some pro gear hooked up!

by the way I have seen your web stuff.. I thought I was decent til I looked at yours, that's just sick. So you've got the edge on me there. ;) I'm really curious what you use for your animations.

Cool, thanks for the info :) - looks like I gotta grab myself a V-AMP and turn my damn distortion down.

I do my web animations with Macromedia Flash and Adobe Photoshop mostly. Glad you like em.

Oh, and what kind of keyboard are you using there? You really captured the Finland Metal feel with this song. I'm surprised there aren't any more comments on this. I guess only a select few really dig metal.

Well don't get me wrong I am not trying to say getting a v-amp is the solution if you already have a good amp. But there's a lot more to getting a killer tone I find via the trials and errors associated with miking techniques than spending time ONCE with a v-amp or pod to get the perfect sound and making a preset for it and then being able to dial it up every time.. that's convenient sure. But best? Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe it's just the fact that I am Finnish ;) No really, I am.

I love that sound, it's my favorite thing in metal. Sonata Arctica, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Rapture.. they're all so unique yet when you hear them it's like "that's finn metal!"..

But yeah, I think most of the people here are old school rockers and pop / hip-hop producers. I know a few like B. Sabbath that have been into some of my previous work though. I still post it just because.. even if like 2 people respond. Maybe the 50 response people need it more? Heh.

I am trying to get a more metal related technique discussion section off the ground at my site www.metalhq.com maybe you'd find it useful.

Well back to the keyboards - I sequenced them and used Edirol HyperCanvas to come up with some custom patches. For the solo I layered like 3 seperate sounds to get the vibe I was going for.

Well I do have a Randall Warhead amp that I hooked straight to my soundcard a few days ago, and I think I fried it. So I'm guessing I need some type of V-AMP thing to take the amps from my Warhead and convert it or something - not really sure, but that's what I'm thinking. Just wondering, do you like black metal bands like Dimmu Borgir and Old Man's Child too?

Ouch.

Well you want to always make sure you're using a line level output into a line level input. Amp heads tend to be dangerous things to plug into a PC. Not to mention, you probably won't get such a great sound either. BUT, even without a v-amp there are ways to compensate... such as post processing with a plugin such as Revalver. Just use enough distortion with the head to get a crunch, keep the mids up and the bass and treble moderate and you will get the body of the sound needed to get a good tone in post processing.

Alternatively if you had a v-amp you could use its speaker simulators, or just bypass the Warhead altogether. or use both, and record one rhythm with each, for more distinctive stereo seperation and a bigger "wall of sound".

Yeah I have liked Dimmu since Stormblast days, and the latest one is good too. Wouldn't call them BM so much nowadays though. Symphonic Death/Black maybe? I dunno. I only have one Old Man's Child album, but they seem pretty good too.

When I went to your site I instantly recognized "Cradle To Enslave", being one of my favorite CoF tunes.. fit the site very well too.

Sounds really good. I too am a big fan of many varieties of scandinavian metal. Something about that part of the world, just can't stop producing good musicians. :)

So yeah, the Drumkit from Hell rules. I just started using it myself so I was wondering if you did anything fancy with it on this. Like did you try to mix in any of the room sound hits? So far I've just thrown the default rock close-miked kit in and gone with it, and its still been a huge improvement over my old Alesis SR-16.

I'm looking forward to getting the new DFH Superior when I can afford it, which has its own plug-in and seems to mix stuff based on mics, as if it were a real drumkit. But in the meantime, do anything particularly interesting with your drum mapping or using the room hits? (I'm also using Sonar btw)

This does sound a lot like Children of Bodom, I like it. Nice guitar tone and vocals. You need to find an insane drummer to play this though :).

I am looking forward to getting a hold of that DFH Superior myself. The plugin alone is reason enough. I have experimented with room hits but in this particular song I opted for all closed mics being that I was in a rush and didn't have much patience for experimentation with sounds, particularily since it would require double the setup time.. like you said Matt, it sounded good enough, so I went with it.

Fatt: Thanks. Well, there are definitely some drummers out there who could play it but yeah they're hard to come by.

This sounds really really good, especially considering the equipment you used to record it (well, the Soundblaster at least). Got any other tunes?

I listened to all of your songs and they sound really good.
I would like to hear the vocals a little hotter as the voicing is perfect for the style.
Great job on the mix, very solid and those drums and guitars kick a$$.

Back