Some crit on my first full band recording!

I'm only listening on crappy laptop speakers so can't comment on the mix dude, but I do love the song. It's a bit 'simple' to begin with but the rhythm, guitar sound and vocals are excellent.

Nice work :)

o_o wow

definitely way ahead of your age. the vocals are amazing! all the levels seems pretty good... I'd really love to hear real drums, even though you did a great job with the programmed ones here (I always say that to anyone with programmed drums, nothing personal) I feel that would give the song the intensity that it would have live.

I also feel like the guitars could use a little coloring in the eq, they seem a little stale right now... but thats relative to the fact that it's NOT a stale song with lyrics and vocal sound that is FAR from stale. in a not-so-good song they would sound fine, but I kind of want them to have more personality and punch as I listen... just personal stuff there though I suppose.

dude.... reaaallly nice song, the vocals are really nice, and i agree with the guitar tone comments.... the musical aspect is really nice.

OK something is wrong with me here... I've been recording for about 4 years now and I've never come up with anything close to this standard .. if this in fact was your own job, A it makes me jealous, B ill guess ill do some crit since that's what you asked.

the kick could come down a little in some parts, i think the toms are a little too loud, snare sounds good, overall excellent!

Great job!

Very nice! Have to agree on the kick. needs some automation. It's too over powering in the quieter parts it lacks the dynamics of a human player for what ever reason. Not a problem except it stands out in the softer sections.

Over all sounds fantastic!

I also have to ask who really built your pinewood durby car :D

Either way it doesn't detract from the tune.

F.S.

Nick The Man said:
OK something is wrong with me here... I've been recording for about 4 years now and I've never come up with anything close to this standard .. if this in fact was your own job, A it makes me jealous, B ill guess ill do some crit since that's what you asked.

the kick could come down a little in some parts, i think the toms are a little too loud, snare sounds good, overall excellent!

Thanks man. I've been recording for 3 years on a crappy one channel mixer but this is the first time ive been totally in charge of production. The fact that I used programmed drums probably helped a lot, but I just FINALLY saved up enough money to go crazy on some drum mics, I just ordered some two days ago so they should come here pretty soon.

Here is the gear:

Drums:
Drumkit from hell superior hosted in cubase

Bass:
Warwick Corvette custom straight into a presonus firepod

Guitars:
Podxt and mesa boogie nomad 55 combo into firepod

Vocals:
Crappy 100$ AT mic into firepod in my closet, using my moms panty hose stretched over a clothes hanger as a pop filter lol

Random:
Cubase sx3
waves
voxengo old school 'verb

Freudian Slip said:
Great job!

Very nice! Have to agree on the kick. needs some automation. It's too over powering in the quieter parts it lacks the dynamics of a human player for what ever reason. Not a problem except it stands out in the softer sections.

Over all sounds fantastic!

I also have to ask who really built your pinewood durby car :D

Either way it doesn't detract from the tune.

F.S.

Lol I swear it was 100% me.

you can go on my soundclick @ soundclick.com/broomofdoom

it has the very first recording I ever made at the beggining, which was me micing up a crappy solid state peavey amp with an mxl condenser mic.

I've been playing guitar, since I was five and since I was 13 I've had an interest in recording. For my 13th birthday I got a 4 mic input yamaha mg mixer and an mxl 990/991 pack. I was using adobe audition at the time and it sucked total ass. Since then I've worked very hard teaching guitar lessons to be able to afford better gear, whenever my friends bands have a show I offer to do sound, and I try to get experience wherever I can. Once I get my drum mics I'm hoping to be able to have local bands pay me to record them. That would be my dream

Damn dude! That is Phenomenal work for a 16 yo in his bedroom.

My only real nits are the drums - sometimes the kick is overpowering, as well as the toms. Maybe slap some more verb on the tom rolls to make them sit better.

Also, the mix is pretty two dimensional - maybe work on getting a bit more depth.

Overall though, that is unbelievable work! Nice job! :D

Yeah, good tune. Catchy, driving, and well arranged. I think some vocal harmonies over some parts of the song would be really cool, given how melodic the vocals are, but that is just personal preference. Also, I agree with some of the other posters about the kick being overpowering in places. Also, in some parts the snare doesn't jump out - it seems to get buried a little amongst the toms and kick. During the screaming part, the delay on the vox was a little intense; it's a great vocal performance to begin with, and I don't think it needs that much coloration. Finally, the whole mix was awfully strong in the 150-250 hz range...you might want to bring that down just a tad.

None of the above are dealbreakers at all...just a few things I might have done differently. Still a great tune and mix. Keep up the good work!

Brad

Boo Radley said:
Yeah, good tune. Catchy, driving, and well arranged. I think some vocal harmonies over some parts of the song would be really cool, given how melodic the vocals are, but that is just personal preference. Also, I agree with some of the other posters about the kick being overpowering in places. Also, in some parts the snare doesn't jump out - it seems to get buried a little amongst the toms and kick. During the screaming part, the delay on the vox was a little intense; it's a great vocal performance to begin with, and I don't think it needs that much coloration. Finally, the whole mix was awfully strong in the 150-250 hz range...you might want to bring that down just a tad.

None of the above are dealbreakers at all...just a few things I might have done differently. Still a great tune and mix. Keep up the good work!

Brad

Yea the kick is a bit overpowering but I dont know how to automate in cubase. wanna help me?

And yea we recorded some harmonies but they sounded like crap. When we get my drum mics, we are gonna record a "real" demo with better vocals, live drums etc... the only reason we did this one was because we needed something quick to get into a battle of the bands so we had to make do with what we had.

fretboardninja said:
Yea the kick is a bit overpowering but I dont know how to automate in cubase. wanna help me?

Cubase comes with a great manual. Just look up automation.

It's REALLY easy to do.

fretboardninja said:
Lol I swear it was 100% me.

you can go on my soundclick @ soundclick.com/broomofdoom

it has the very first recording I ever made at the beggining, which was me micing up a crappy solid state peavey amp with an mxl condenser mic.

I've been playing guitar, since I was five and since I was 13 I've had an interest in recording. For my 13th birthday I got a 4 mic input yamaha mg mixer and an mxl 990/991 pack. I was using adobe audition at the time and it sucked total ass. Since then I've worked very hard teaching guitar lessons to be able to afford better gear, whenever my friends bands have a show I offer to do sound, and I try to get experience wherever I can. Once I get my drum mics I'm hoping to be able to have local bands pay me to record them. That would be my dream

Ok I'll buy that;) Good for you.
All that practice ain't nothing without an ear that you obviously got.

Make sure you put up your first drum mix so we can all feel better about our selves after this:D

As far as the automation goes I don't have cubase but I bet it's similar to sonar.

Hopfully you put each drum into a seperate track as audio?? If not start doing it:) Right click on the kick track in the track view window. See if it says add envelope or automation. if so add a gain envelope. You will be able to add nodes (better known as dots) to a line that runs the length of the track. when you add those nodes the are points at whitch you can start to change the gain. To change a selected section without changing gain on the whole track make two nodes on each end of the section you want to change the gain on and then drag the middle up or down. The space between the two dots on one or the other end is the fade. further the nodes are apart, longer the fade. I'll put a picture. It's pretty easy just pich a test file and screw around.

Other option is cut the track into the loud and quiet sections. try right clicking on a section and look for adjust gain or volume. Might have to highlite the section and go up to edit in the top left corner of the screan and look for a similar comand.

Hope that made sense :o :o In a bit of a hurry. Let me know if you need more help.

Later

F.S.

Below is automation or a gain envelope of a solo that due to notation needed to be adjusted to keep the same apperant volume and then was faded down quite a bit and sharply cut off at the end. The fades look really fast in the picture because of the hoizontal zoom level, but the solo is 11 messures long at 125 bpm. they are more gentle than appears.

Attachments

• automation.jpg
    automation.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 42
Nice work man. I'm not a big fan of the screaming, so I can't help you with that. Some of the vocals sound a little autotuney to my ears, but that in and of itself isn't unusual for this style of music.

Before I tell you this, keep in mind that I think you are very talented and I'm making an assumption here that you are seriously considering making a go at the music business - so don't take it the wrong way. If not, carry on and ignore the prattling of an old fart.

The song is very very stale. I don't mean that it's not well-written or well executed by any means. I mean that it sounds just like heaps of other stuff out there on the radio right now. That will get you laid and everything, but it's not going to put you at number one with a bullet a two years from now.

Where do you want to be in twenty? Seems far off, huh? :cool:

At sixteen, I'd say you should try to dig deep for some random element that exites you and will qualitativley set you apart from everybody else. Whether it's an original vocal affectation (not recommended) or some gestalt of another musical genre, or some unusual instrumentation that makes what you do different.

Give some great old time vocalists a listen - and some of the great composers. Maybe go to school a little bit - but keep on writing.

You've got the easy part down. You know how to paste up a song and give it a melody. You've got your guitar solo and your rhythmic break and all that good stuff. What you don't have yet is a breadth of musical experience. It's counterintuitive, since most people your age (and possibly yourself) listen to a pretty narrow range of music. How do you put something across that will appeal to a broader audience? I'd like to see you doing stuff that will last fifty years - this ain't it.

I don't have the answers for you, man. But you're off to an awesome start and it's good to see young people turning around stuff like this.

I agree that it sounds like everything else you hear nowadays on the radio, but the production and everything is excellent, sounds like it was done professionally in a studio. Performance was also good for the instruments and the vocals.

If I were to hear this on the radio it wouldn't stand out among the other songs played on there. I think since you obviously got the production/recording, stuff down it's time to think about the other things.

I've only heard a few recordings on here (definitely not my own) that actually sound professionally done and this is one of them.

This is very impressive. Nice work!
Someone's mentioned a kick being to low and I agree with that.
Keep posting.

Supercreep said:
Nice work man. I'm not a big fan of the screaming, so I can't help you with that. Some of the vocals sound a little autotuney to my ears, but that in and of itself isn't unusual for this style of music.

Before I tell you this, keep in mind that I think you are very talented and I'm making an assumption here that you are seriously considering making a go at the music business - so don't take it the wrong way. If not, carry on and ignore the prattling of an old fart.

The song is very very stale. I don't mean that it's not well-written or well executed by any means. I mean that it sounds just like heaps of other stuff out there on the radio right now. That will get you laid and everything, but it's not going to put you at number one with a bullet a two years from now.

Where do you want to be in twenty? Seems far off, huh? :cool:

At sixteen, I'd say you should try to dig deep for some random element that exites you and will qualitativley set you apart from everybody else. Whether it's an original vocal affectation (not recommended) or some gestalt of another musical genre, or some unusual instrumentation that makes what you do different.

Give some great old time vocalists a listen - and some of the great composers. Maybe go to school a little bit - but keep on writing.

You've got the easy part down. You know how to paste up a song and give it a melody. You've got your guitar solo and your rhythmic break and all that good stuff. What you don't have yet is a breadth of musical experience. It's counterintuitive, since most people your age (and possibly yourself) listen to a pretty narrow range of music. How do you put something across that will appeal to a broader audience? I'd like to see you doing stuff that will last fifty years - this ain't it.

I don't have the answers for you, man. But you're off to an awesome start and it's good to see young people turning around stuff like this.

Thanks A LOT.

Thing is, I myself don't really like that type of music. I live down at the VERY tip of florida in a crappy redneck town where good musicians are few and far between. I love Dream Theater, King Crimson, Floyd, all that prog stuff and I write TONS of weird prog/techno/metal/pop hybrid songs. The only problem is, the band I'm in now wants to play this type of music (which is fun, although I don't really like it) so all I can do is influence them the best I can and hope that we develop something unique.

Thanks to the guy who showed me how to automate, and yes, I'll definatly post my first live drum mix (yikes!)

Sounds fantastic!
(it´s my first impression listening on simple pc spakers)

Good production, and seems to be well mixed too.

Great guitar solo , you have a beautifull distortion tone *and I still can hear the "wood" sound (if you understand me...)

Ciro
my songs here:
http://www.soundclick.com/openstation

Last edited:
Back