Some banjo-like guitar picking

John Henry

I was just experimenting with tuning the guitar to an open D and more or less playing Scruggs style banjo techniques. I pointed an Oktava 012 at the guitar and sang into an Advanced Audio DM20

I was wondering how you could make a guitar sound like a banjo... turns out you can't (or didn't) but the playing is nice. Thanks for sharing.

There's also a 6-string banjo- guitar neck, banjo body. Normally tuned like a guitar, but you could tune it any way you wanted to, of course.

And, apropos of almost nothing, I own both a tenor guitar and a tenor banjo. I tune 'em both to 5th's.

Great playing. I thought the guitbanjo sounded nice.

Vocals are just a bit boxy.

Things are a bit dry too.

Other than that, real nice. I like bluegrass.

Hey, thanks for the nice words about my playing. Vocals a bit boxy: agreed. The sounds I get with the DM20 have a "pre-processed" feel to me. It's not just a mic I can point and not think about. It probably was not the best choice. In fact, one MK012 halfway between the mouth and guitar body may have worked even better. As far as dry, yeah, that too. I tend to like my reverb a little on the heavy side, but it doesn't matter how much or how little I use, someone always recommends more or less.

There's also a 6-string banjo- guitar neck, banjo body.
I don't know why, but I really don't like those things. Isn't that awful of me? Sorry about that to any of you guys that use one. I don't mean to be closed minded or anything...I just am.

I've never played a banjitar. Or is it a git-jo? Remember seeing them in the Sears Catalog as far back as the late 60's. The tenor banjo I have is great for me- as I play lefty, and it has a straight bridge, I finally have a banjo I can play.

Or is it a git-jo?
I have seen them called both, but Sonny Osborne used to record with what he called in the liner notes a guit-jo, and as far as I know it was the guitar with a 5-string banjo neck. I'd like to have something like that in a cutaway with nylon strings and electronics.

Back