solo acoustic slide help needed

Really nice tone!
I thought the scrapes wern't bad at all.

They make a brass slide that's tapered,and rounded over at the ends.
Pretty heavy,one side is supposed to be for electric,the other for acoustic.

I have one,also a regular brass,glass,and a couple of other differant shaped ones.
This is the only one that really minimises the scrapes.
Now if I could only play like you!:D

Guitar center sells them,I believe it says on it they are endorsed or recomended by Leo Kottke,something like that.
(He scrapes like crazy,btw.)

Really nice playing,I enjoyed it very much.

Pete

jr 97,

this sounds pretty well miced. The playing is top notch, but I like the sound. Its like "all up in my face" ( in a good way) .

I dont know what a steel acoustic slide thingy sounds like in real life, but I am hearing some harshness that sounds like a less than ideal mic or preamp. It still sounds good, but some harshness there.

Funk on!

CyanJaguar said:
jr 97,

this sounds pretty well miced. The playing is top notch, but I like the sound. Its like "all up in my face" ( in a good way) .

I dont know what a steel acoustic slide thingy sounds like in real life, but I am hearing some harshness that sounds like a less than ideal mic or preamp. It still sounds good, but some harshness there.

Funk on!

This was done live with a Shure SM57 going into a Tascam 424MKII for the mixer section and into a Hi-Fi VCR. How ghetto is that.... but it was the best portable set-up I could come up with at the time.

I wouldn't be displeased at all, if this was coming out of my fingers/studio/speakers...

A little scrape here and there....so what. The music shows it's all real. This kinda stuff makes me go tune my guitars all weird again....

just realized...

...didn't give ya any feedback, brah ;)

Great tones, man. The kind that you feel soak in thru your chest... makes your fillings rattle ;) Really cool... the beer-can-on-the-strings effect is cool :D Really cool fingerpickin' ability... Nice track.

Chad

JR, I play pedal steel. I wonder if a few of those techniques would help.

On pedal steel, the fingers nut side of the bar are solid on top the strings, to keep the overtones and rattles from sounding. This also helps with intonation, because your bar is much more in control, and not held so tightly to the strings. The tone is a world away from letting what's going on behind the bar into the pickups.

The other thing is pick or palm blocking, to keep unwanted notes from sounding when sliding the bar. You want more overtones on your acoustic slide, but some blocking would help with string and bar rattle, and the solidness of the bar would help with fret rattle, because you wouldn't have to press so hard.

Really enjoyed this. Nice sound you are getting!

Not sure any of this helps you, for sure pedal steel is a different beast, but thought I would offer these ideas and let you decide if they help.

Tom

Actually, I'm quite fond of all the fret and string noise on a piece like this, it helps reinforce the intimacy of the moment, your ear is RIGHT there, ya know? I think you accomplished what you set out to. If I were harping (which I never do ;) ) I'd say you could smooth that very slight perceived raspiness out by nudging the 4Khz-8Khz range down about 1.5-2.5dB. You'd still retain all the accuracy of acquisition you strived for and you'd get a less edgy patina. Run the master through a real tube compressor too, if you have one. That will warm it up a bit without sacrificing anything.

You play wonderfully. Most impressive!! :)

Cheers!
Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor
www.llarion.com
www.artistlaunch.com/llarion

This sounds so good! I could listen to this stuff all day while kicking back watching the sun-set ... oh man, here I go getting all sappy ...

Nice job -- absolutely nothing wrong with this recording! Sounds great!

Wow, thanks for all the love everyone! Most of the reviews I got when the CD came out a few years ago were luke-warm. But that was a different kind of crowd.. anywho...

TomD.. do you have any resources for exercises and practice? I've always been amazed with the control that pedal steel players seem to have.

"Free Myself" has a lot of emotion in it, that's pretty effective. The whole song holds together really well for live-to-4-track. The recorded sound has a nice, live presence.

"Matchka" is a little less live sounding. The mix doesn't have that same live presence that the first cut has. Still, it's not a bad jam, overall. With the fade-in and fade-out, it seems like a short interlude of a much longer jam.

"Mediterranean Slide" has an obviously higher fidelity and production value than the first two cuts, bieng direct-to-VHS-Hifi. The difference is fairly obvious, between the VHS-Hifi and the cassette-4-track. I think the VHS delivers about 10db more headroom than cassette, and virtually no hiss. Performance-wise, "Mediterranean Slide" sure is some fancy playing! Good job!
;)

nice slide guitar.. I don't have any advice to offer because I know nothing about slide.. I liked the riff though..

Hey - Good News

JR #97 - Black Sabbath gave you a review, and he didn't give it a "thumbs down." This is the first one I've seen where he didn't give a GREAT review, with a crappy icon.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

and you play good

Re: Hey - Good News

MelonHead said:
JR #97 - Black Sabbath gave you a review, and he didn't give it a "thumbs down." This is the first one I've seen where he didn't give a GREAT review, with a crappy icon.

and you play good

I think it's because I gave him some advise in the Cave...:cool: :D

Thanks for the comments.

Sounds pretty sweet JR. I'd go with Crawdad's suggestions for a more stereo sound. Condensors are great on slide for getting the overtones.

Re: Hey - Good News

MelonHead said:

and you play good

hey chris (douche bag) harris, or melon head, or jamal, whatever the the fuck, I have no idea why your on my dick, so why don't you explain it to me in a private message..

(sorry about this JR. It is spilling over from another thread)

Last edited:
Check you PM's.

BUT SINCE THIS COOL SONG IS HERE AGAIN, I SAY "STILL LOVE THIS."

Oh yeah, I have no interest in Sami's dick.

:D
Mr. "Douche Bag"

Back