Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solo Acoustic Guitar "This Dragon Won't Sleep"

Thanks

Solo Acoustic Guitar "This Dragon Won't Sleep"

Sign in to disable this ad
    I clearly remember the first time I saw a video of Don Ross playing live on NPR performing "This Dragon Won't Sleep". It was almost a religious experience for me. He's just an incredible player with a unique vision of how an acoustic guitar should be played. This is a typical Don Ross song which showcases his ability to play bass and melody lines, slaps/taps for percussion, harmonics and horn parts...creating a "full band" sound all by himself on one track on acoustic guitar. About a year ago, my inner voice said "you'll never be able to play like that". I watched that video for weeks before I convinced myself to try and learn this song. I found Don's web site, ordered the tabs and some of his DVD's. I worked very hard at trying to learn "Dragon". I learned all the parts, but it just never sounded right. I ended up shelving it until a few months ago, when I finally started to get the groove of the song. The tuning of the song is very different: C-Eb-Eb-F-C-D. In the midsection of the song, I have to tune down the low C to a Bb (down a whole step) and then tune back to C to finish the song all while continuing to play without missing a beat! (almost )

This week, I also picked up a good 2 channel Art mic pre-amp and a set of MXL603's and decided to give it a whirl this morning. For the first try, I'm very happy with how the guitar (Taylor 314CE) recorded with the new equipment.

http://drrufftuff.com/Mike%20O%20-%2...;t%20Sleep.mp3

Let me know what you think!
    [FONT=Georgia]Mike O.[/FONT] :cool:

[URL=http://www.mikeandkayte.com]our web site[/URL]

Thanks
    Quite nice. Nice playing.

There may be little too much highs in this. It gives the guitar a silkiness, which is good, but makes the percussion a bit harsh. I'm listening on headphones, so take that for what it's worth, but I might back off a bit somewhere in the 4-8 kHz range.

Thanks
    Thanks for listening. Interesting, the only EQing I did was to add a touch about 4.5k....... I'll listen back totally flat now. Thanks

Thanks
    Really enjoyed this!I have to agree with the previous post however that the mix seems a bit excessive in the high-end,giving this a kinda metallic sound.Great style/playing...nice job.
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    Yummy stuff...

I turned it up warmed up the lava lamp, turned out the lights and chilled.

Thanks for posting this!
    She's not the boss of me

RAMI Guest
    This is great. I agree with the high end being slightly too much, but it is sweet.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Wow, very nice. I would agree with most everyone else here and say that the mids are a bit high. But then again, you're playing a Taylor and they have that "sizzle" in their tone anyway.

Nice job of playing that song. Are you a fan of Preston Reed as well? He plays with a similar style. If you can, check out his song, Slap Funk.

Thanks
    I think the people that like the sound of a Taylor (I'm one of them) will like it. I'd probably let it run flat. If there's anything a Taylor doesn't need, it's high-mid boost. 603's are pretty bright, anyway. You didn't write the song, so I guess it's irrelevent that I think it needs a bridge to break it up. Did you use a click track? There are parts where the rhythm is perfect/stacatto, and other parts where it sounds like you went off the track and had to work your way back. Tuning up and down while you're playing will sure as hell do that to you. Vey nice work. Thanks for sharing- Richie

Thanks
    Thanks variaxman, Rami and Punkin.

CKGdrums - Yes. I am a Preston Reed fan for sure. I was a bass player for about 25 years until I got tired of gigging a few years ago. I got to see Preston live 8 years ago at a free guitar clinic at Mars music on Atlanta (remember them). He totally blew me away. I had just started learning AG at the time. He really inspired be. I do play a few of his songs now; Accu-Fuse, Mermaid Eyes and I'm currently working on Ladies Night which really showcases Prestons unique style.

Richard - No click track. I'm sure the tempo wavers from time to time. The tempo for this song S/B around 75 - 78 BBM. Its tough for me to stay right on through the whole song. I do this for S&G anyway. I would take a few more years of had work to get this play this tune at a true pro level like Don Ross.

Thanks
    Let me kmow if this mix is better..........

http://drrufftuff.com/Mike%20O%20-%2...;t%20Sleep.mp3

Thread Information