Solo Acoustic Guitar

gordone

(it’s about 6megs, dial-up users beware!)
Just a quick improv I did on my Taylor 512.
Mics – Neumann KM184 ~ 1 foot in front of the 10th fret, Soundelux U97 (in Figure-8) about 1 foot in front of bridge
Preamp – Great River MP2 into Delta 44.
Recorded with N-Track @ 24 bits/44.1kHz. Mixed in N-Track with Renn Compressor, Renn Reverb, REQ and L1 Limiter for dithering.

Any comments appreciated!

Hey,nice sound on the guits man!WATYF will probably like this since he's a Taylor man!:eek:

Nice clean recording....I tried N-track awhile back and could never get the tracks to sync up properly so Im sticking with my DAW.

Nice job.;)

Very nice tone. So where are you going with this?

My only suggestion is to be more careful with that open E (or is it a drop D?). It's slapping too hard.

Nice ideas bro!

DADGAD... the other white meat... or at least the other standard tuning... Nice performance. Sort of Hedge's-esque.. The recording quality was great. I liked the string slaps, but maybe reign in some of the rattling low strings. The knocks were nice, but I think some reverb on them will add some more dimension.
Great work overall in my favorite tuning! I'd love to hear more!

If you check your playback stats...I'm the guy who listened Saturday night for like...an hour. Then I downloaded it.

I hate you.
:D

(EDIT: I don't hate you, but ONLY b/c you took the time to share how you recorded it)

Thanks for listening. I usually play folky singer/songwriter stuff. One of my faves (Richard Shindell) plays alot of stuff in DADGAD, so my 512 is always in that tuning. This song was just a big mush of various ideas/themes I've toyed with. I'd love to develop this style more since it does not involve my voice :)

Here's another DADGAD song I did (a Richard Shindell song about 9/11). I used the U97 (in Cardiod) on vox and the KM184 on guitar. There's alot of bleed between the mics but I think it sounds ok. Thanks again for listening!

A whole hour? My fiance can't listen to me for that long! I don't know if I can check any stats, I'm just using my free webspace (50 megs!) from Penn State (where I'm going for my Masters degree) Seriously - Thanks again for listening, I've been in a musical rut lately with my full-time day job (Software Engineer), night-time grad school classes, and my wedding (October 6th, baby!) Take care!

chrisharris said:
If you check your playback stats...I'm the guy who listened Saturday night for like...an hour. Then I downloaded it.

I hate you.
:D

(EDIT: I don't hate you, but ONLY b/c you took the time to share how you recorded it)

very nice!

i love this stuff.

i tuned my guitar to dadgad after WATYF mentioned it the first time (first time for me anyway) and had a lot of fun. but then i felt kind of guilty and tuned it back to standard.

so this is a really rookie question, but is it bad for your guitar to stay in that tuning? does a guitar always need to be in a certain state of tension?

oh yeah, back to you...sometimes the rattling strings are cool and sometimes not. i think it sounds best if it's happens more seldom than you have it here.

thanks for posting. i really enjoyed this. and don't go selling that equipment to pay for any wedding debts!

Re: very nice!

erichenryus said:
i love this stuff.

i tuned my guitar to dadgad after WATYF mentioned it the first time (first time for me anyway) and had a lot of fun. but then i felt kind of guilty and tuned it back to standard.

so this is a really rookie question, but is it bad for your guitar to stay in that tuning? does a guitar always need to be in a certain state of tension?

There isn't a major change in tension from Standard to DADGAD. I've left my guitars in that tuning and others for extended periods of time and never had a problem. If you really dig the tuning, check out Pierre Bensusan, Bill Mize, and Lawrence Juber.

Back