So I have this new demo of mine...

patrickkata

Hi guys,
I just started recording and mixing my first demo, and this is the one song that I managed to complete so far:

The problem is, that it sound very muddy and LQ. Could you give me a few tips on what is the worst part of it, and if it's possible to make it better?
I was already told that the vocal intro sucks :) What else?

Thanks for any input.

The vocal intro sucks. :)

Nah, it's good. But there's a phasiness to the doubled vocals and the drumkit's got a hollow strangeness all over it as well. The vocal thing doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the drum sound. Fix it. The song rocks. I really like it.

I think the clarity can be improved by high passing the vocal. there is too much below 80 Hz on the opening vocal. Also the chunky guitar is thick too. Cut those around 100 Hz to taste and see what happens.

I actually like this raw track tho some of the drumming is a little wild.

Other than vox and chunky git the rest sounds okay. Bass may be too light as well.

Thanks for the quick input, guys.

As for the ~100Hz, I'll try this - I see what you mean, thanks to your screencap.
I did however have trouble bringing up the bass - when I did it, it blended with the kick completely, and I'd especially like to avoid that. No EQ tricks helped me with resolving this, so far - so I had to hide the bass a bit.

By "hollow strangeness" of the drums you mean the artificial sounding reverb on it, or the overal bad tone?

If EQ doesn't work no matter what you try, reach for a distortion plugin.

The drums: it's probably the verb you have on it, but I can't tell.

The vocal intro sucks. :)

Nah, it's good. But there's a phasiness to the doubled vocals and the drumkit's got a hollow strangeness all over it as well. The vocal thing doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the drum sound. Fix it. The song rocks. I really like it.

Yeah, you are kind of a dick huh? LOL!

Nothing new around here..

I was establishing context, jimmys, not taking anything anywhere. If I knew who you are or what your style is, I might have some context. I'm working on that.

It was the comment you made "the vocal intro sucks" with smiley face, that I was responding to in a humorous way. Hence the 'lol' that followed my post.

The 'nothing new around here' was taken out of context. It was directed to the drum sound. I take full responsibility for being unclear and I apologize for coming across as being a dick myself.

I consider myself flogged. Unless others would like to take a hit on me. :)

Cool Song! As everyone else said low pass everything. You start at about 80 hz on anything besides the bass, kick drum, and floor tom. Those drums sound pretty funky to me. The kick sounds like it only has an external mic. If you blend a sample with some click. Some sample blending on all the drums might help. The cymbals sound kinda midrangey and harsh, you should do an eq sweep for harshness on the overheads and cut that. Most likely around 1-4 kHz.

Very Arctic Monkeys. The 2nd voice in the intro (or the one over to the side) isn't useful in the song it should be brought closer to the main.
I think panning is the issue with this mix - send the guitars over to the extremen L & R then build again.

Back